Boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a stock D40 RX, can I increase the boost pressure a bit without installing a chip?
Any pros and cons?
How do I do it?

Thanks
Max

Sure can mate!

Pro's are cooler egt's, slightly more power and better fuel economy (marginal).

Cons are, its a PITA to fit lol...

Go and buy yourself a manual bleed valve from autobarn or online (I like the GFB Atomic or Turbosmart ones)

You want to fit it between the MAP sensor (which is on the drivers side of the intercooler)
And the intercooler.
Arrow pointing towards the map sensor.

Pull the hot side intercooler pipe work off (the alloy elbow) and tap a 1/8th hole to allow a fitting to be screwed in. This gives you somewhere to measure the boost from.

Lift the boost up around the 23-25psi mark.

$99 for the turbosmart at autobahn too...then I saw the new intercoolers....seemed cheap for a handy kinda bloke...got me thinking

Yeah dont use the ball and spring type. They can work for some cars but Ive always found they give a much less stable boost curve.

The ecu wont throw any codes, it doesnt know something is wrong. We are feeding the ecu false signals to get it to adjust the boost to what we want it, as far as it can tell everything is spot on.

Camo, the HPD kit is pretty dam good value for money and I dont think there is any other kits out there that beat it for cooling efficiency.

So Diesel, what could I expect out my car if:
)- Install 3 inch dpf back no muffler
)- Turbosmart bleed valve
)- HDP intercooler
)- No Chip.

Thanks
Max

the turbo smart is probably a good choice for that (tho mayby to good). they are actually a combo of ball/spring and bleed. so it will always try to make a few lb of boost no matter what.

the turbo smart is probably a good choice for that (tho mayby to good). they are actually a combo of ball/spring and bleed. so it will always try to make a few lb of boost no matter what.

The ball and spring in the TS one is actually to stop air being sucked in on cars with an air flow meter.
In petrols it does cause massive problems with post afm air leaks that could occur if the vac/boost reference was post throttlebody.

I normally undo the fitting and remove the ball and spring on all diesel fitments as it can (not very often though) cause some slight overboost and boost hunting issues.

So Diesel, what could I expect out my car if:
)- Install 3 inch dpf back no muffler
)- Turbosmart bleed valve
)- HDP intercooler
)- No Chip.

Thanks
Max

The gains in power will be marginal 15kw tops probably.

You will get better fuel economy, the engine will run leaner and cooler.
Once you do decide to increase the fueling through what ever chip you select, the amount of headroom you have given yourself to up the power is significantly better than a stock vehicle.

The ball and spring in the TS one is actually to stop air being sucked in on cars with an air flow meter.
In petrols it does cause massive problems with post afm air leaks that could occur if the vac/boost reference was post throttlebody.

I normally undo the fitting and remove the ball and spring on all diesel fitments as it can (not very often though) cause some slight overboost and boost hunting issues.

not much point running turbosmart mbc that way then. especially as they are rather $$$$. bleed type at 1/10th of the price would do.

better yet they could donate the turbosmart to D22 owners ;) :rock:

Yeah the gfb one is cheaper and simpler.

But, turbosmart is an aussie company and a dam good product so if the extra $20 or so isnt a strech then use turbosmart.

do we know how accurate the torque android app is with boost pressure sensing for the setup on this? should i temp fit a boost gauge for setup....is it somthing we need to keep an eye on all the time too?...or set and forget?

Just noticed Turbotech also....they seem to be a aussie company any thoughts on there v2?seems to be the same price as the gfb one also

do we know how accurate the torque android app is with boost pressure sensing for the setup on this? should i temp fit a boost gauge for setup....is it somthing we need to keep an eye on all the time too?...or set and forget?

Torque app for d22 and boost is pointless. Maybe with the d40 having a ecu controlled turbo it will work. Everything else on the torque app is pretty good. I have to find a new cradle for my phone and ill be running it all the time

Just worked out that you cannot get a boost reading on a d40 with the manual boost controller set to anything above standard.make sence now as the sensor obvoiusly cannot read pressure when your holding it back......back to the shops for a boost gauge.

Latest posts

Back