Brake fluid flush

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjsestro

Reaction score
Is a brake fluid flush an easy DIY job or best left to the professionals. Is there any issues with the ABS. Which brake fluid is best.

Hi mate. I do my own but I did purchase a vacuum bleeder from repco. That way you can do it a lot easier on your own. You actually suck the fluid from the calliper and as long as you keep the master full of new fluid it's not a problem. Just start at the furthest away from the master and work your way back to the closest. As for brake fluid, any dot 4 is ok. I use Nulon Dot 4.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

reccomended brake fluid is Dot 3 on the d40 and dot 3 is also filled at factory, on a standart truck dot 4 is overkill since you are not exactly drifting (dot 3 and dot 4 differance is that dot4 has a higher boiling point but dot3 is more than enough on everyday usage and thats what they use from factory)
you can use dot4 if you think its worth the extra money but it will be a pain to remove and flush all the old fluid, they must never mix!

also remove battery cables before you do a fluid change, forgot to mention that above.

To do it properly the callipers need to come off and the pistons removed and cleaned! Sure you can dump the fluid in the lines and master cylinder but getting it out of the calliper is the hard part.
What I have found after rebuilding a few callipers is that the crud and water sits at the lower piston and rusts, this prevents the piston from moving and it then seizes up and only one piston is doing the work- fine in normal driving but you will really notice it when towing !
And I will bet my last dollar that all shops out there just suck out the old fluid and replace, this method will not remove the crap and fluid in the calliper! Well that's what I have found - anyone else with a thought on this?
Oh -and you can buy seal kits and single pistons if you need them ! Do it once- do it right "I say" :) And if you want it done right- do it yourself lol I'm a little "jaded" with mechanics and suppliers at the moment -if you cant tell !

Like stated difference between DOT3 and 4 is boiling point but these vehicles will never NEED dot4, however I bought DOT4 cos it was cheap and on special at the time I neede to change my brake and clutch fluid haha

Latest posts

Back