brand new d22 blowing smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12navD22

Reaction score
Im new to this site but i thought it would be a very good place to ask some of you about my possible concerns with my new d22 navara.

I've had it for a week and it has done 500km's and when i take off it is blowing a greyish and sometimes black smoke. i have been told it is a diesel thing and i see most diesels do it but it is new n i personally dont think it should be?

- could it be that it is not "RUN IN" yet?
- could it be that nissan arent using the right oil it?
- could it be crap diesel that i have put it?

Or am i worrying about nothing?

all help is very much appreciated

Let it run in
Then do the egr mod
It will still blow smoke but not as much
And it will boost earlier
Do a search on egr mod

Do a search for threads about "EGR blanking" will reduce the smoke and give a bit more power

Hi mate, welcome.
I have a 12 month old D40 that has been blowing smoke since the 1000km service.
I have done the egr mod and it still does it but who cares its a diesel

A bit of black smoke, I would not be worried about at this stage but grey dosen't sound to good at all. Could of been unlucky enough to cop a tank load of crook fuel. That, could cause grey smoke.

I would drive it like it's stolen and see how it goes for the next 500K's before you put it in for the free check.

These engines are a bit black smokey and EGR mod is a good thing to do for several reasons one of which will reduce black smoke but I'd hold off on that just in case there is some issue/problem there.

Crap diesel wont help,i try to fill at a servo that has a good turnover of diesel.
Seems to make a difference imo.

The yd25 is a much smokier engine than the older zd30 for some reason but I wouldn't worry too much over black smoke, that's just un burnt diesel, blue smoke would be a worry as that would be oil and white a much bigger concern as that would be water/coolant.
Grey as others have suggested could be shit fuel ie: moisture in the diesel (hence the grey as opposed to black) I always buy fuel where I see trucks frequently (where possible) cause they have rapid turn over with fresh fuel all the time.
I wish that I could have bought my 2003 model from new and KNOWN about the egr mod, that would be one of the best ways to start a trucks life, but it's never too late to do it.

first off cheers heaps for all your reply glad i signed up to this forum i can see it being very useful in the future.

i have looked into the egr mod and it does look like a worthy mod! but if i do it my warranty goes out the window and if something is wrong i dont want to void my new car warranty(3 yr warranty)

i might give the nissan dealers where i bought it a call and see what they say but iv also read that people do an ecu reset n that can fix problems but the car has to go in for its 1000km service prob next week so ill see what they do or say or try palm me off like iv heard they are good at lol. apparently even nissan themself do the egr mod but wont tell you they do it?

hopefully it is fixable and im stressing over nothin because it is a new car and i didnt expect something to be f****d in the first week of owning it!

my D22 is 5 weeks old - has been blowing out 'standard diesel' smoke since brand new! looks a lot worse at night time because of the headlights following. EGR mod did wonders for mine.

i wouldnt worry yourself to much

yeh it does look worse at night mate and to be honest i was a bit embaressed coming up the hill the other night cars behind me lol. did the egr void your warranty do you know?

apart from me worrying the car drives n runs great im more than happy in that regard

Hi all

Do the EGR mod and fit a catch can to the cam cover breather. this breather will blow oil all thru your intercooler and will produce smoke. I have done both mods and now she dont blow any smoke.

Cheers Brad.

Mine went back to Nissan 4 times for services with blanking plate installed
They didn't notice it
It only needs to be removed if you are going to have warranty work done
Only 1/2 hr to remove plate
I think chip it sells blanking plates for egr mod

not a happy chappy went to a well known diesel mechanic today and by what i told him he told me some possible solutions

- its an oil problem and that could be the seals gone in the turbo
- injectors are stuffed or possibly not even adjusted right

im going to take it into nissan and leave it there til they give me answer for whats wrong because coming up the hill today people were getting in the other lane giving me looks and pointing to the back of my car. not a happy chappy at all especially with a brand new car

If you have that much smoke id say there is a problem..
I have a fair puff 1st-2nd then a little puff 2nd-3rd but not a constant flow

yeh its doing it when i change gears but all gears and i have noticed it when turbo kicks in and back off from acceleration its embaressing. iv been reading alot of things that people have said about it and alot of people are in the same boat as me but get pamled off by nissan saying "its normal". i hope they can/will fix it as i do like the car just hope it doesnt get to the point of me regretting buying the car

Mine was blowing heaps of grey-white smoke, nissan put a new set of injectors in at around 3600 k's under warranty. That was a fight with them to, they kept telling me it was normal but after having 2 other independant mechanics back me up they did some tests and agreed it wasn't right and replaced them.

Last edited:
Back