Broken Radiator...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Nathan exellent pics i can see the quality and strength now and as you say they are well tested by you and the proof of the pudding is in the eating, will have to invest soon as so i can do some more serious bashing. By the way how does the Navara fair up generally against the Patrols etc. has it got you everywhere you wanted to go.

Clearance is always going to be the D40's achilles heel, but the D40 gets me everywhere i want to go and with the new one having traction control it is quite surprising how far it does go.
I do most of my wheeling with toyota owners, 80 series cruiser and hilux's and on resent trips the D40 has gotten up stuff that the others havnt been able to, BUT they dont have any lockers or traction control which would change the game.

In the last few months i have seen heaps of broken cv's, my mate's 80 and his 60 series cruisers both have broken cv's, the 80 has actually broken two, another mate in a triton(model before the latest) broke an front axle while the d40 surprisingly has come out unscathed (touch wood)

At the end of the day mate it is an IFS dual cab ute and for that class of 4x4 it holds its own for sure, It is constantly going further then my cousin in his Hilux with the 33's and 3" lift which really gives him the shits, so im happy :sarcastic:

Thanks,

They are defiantly tougher..

I will get some extra bracing in mine and get it bolted to the bullbar and see how it goes. I dont give it much of a hard time..

Does anyone know if a Thai built rad will fit my Spanish 2012 ST?

Nathan on your ARB bash plates cay you access the sump plug with the plates on or do they have to be removed for oil changes.

You can access all sump plugs, engine, transfer, front diff and gearbox without removing any if the plates. You can actually see where the cut out is for the engine in the pics, it's where there is a double skinned section around a rectangle cut out.

Last edited:
Our Underbody protection plates are actually 3mm.

actually they are 2.5mm - 3mm what ever that means..........
well at least thats what it says on YOUR web site.

This is what i dont understand, why make bashplates that cant be fitted in conjunction with bullbars????? i mean wouldnt it be a good idea to be able to fit them with an ironman bar??

Last edited:
my ironman plates have copped a hiding
they are still ok
ide buy them again

im just going off what i have seen with my cousins Hilux, we fitted them which was a bit of a pain and we needed to do a couple of minor things to make them fit, then we went out for a bit of wheeling and within the first 5min and on a nothing DIRT track they looked like they had been on for 5years dents and bent up, he was absolutely spewing.

Then two guys on here that had them on have smashed their radiators.

like i said they are better then nothing and for the money you get what you pay for.

The problem is with the D40's low chassis and vulnerable radiator, That is well known, so i would think that if you want to make something that is meant to PROTECT then maybe desingn them to actually do that job and maybe just maybe it would be a good idea to be able to use them WITH a bullbar,, really how many people have bashplates but dont have or have no intention of fitting a bullbar?????:hmmmm2:

like i said earlier maybe they can be modified to make them work better by adding a crossmember and bolting the front edge to that to give them the strength they obviously need on the D40

Nathan, just out of curiosity would you say our Navaras are any lower or more suseptable than any other IFS dualcab i have only owned a Nav in a dualcab and just wondering. Am i right in thinking with a 2 inch lift and "decent underbody protection protection" they are as capable as Hilux Ranger etc or or ours the lowest/worst

maybe just maybe it would be a good idea to be able to use them WITH a bullbar,, really how many people have bashplates but dont have or have no intention of fitting a bullbar?????:hmmmm2:

You are correct mate,

We are currently working on upgrading and revising our underbody protection to match up with bullbars, as you rightly point out, bashplates really would only be added in conjunction with bullbars and we are revising our designs to take this into account.

And as to the listing on the website, unfortunately that is out of date but we've held up doing to many changes to it as we are about to launch a new site.

For the latest info on our underbody protection you should check out:
7066_481974435206274_894564017_n.jpg

Nathan, just out of curiosity would you say our Navaras are any lower or more suseptable than any other IFS dualcab i have only owned a Nav in a dualcab and just wondering. Am i right in thinking with a 2 inch lift and "decent underbody protection protection" they are as capable as Hilux Ranger etc or or ours the lowest/worst

Yeah mate they are lower in the chassis, and compared to the hilux they are around 90mm lower from memory, and it is for that reason why they really need good underbody protection and due to the chassis being so low it translates to the radiator being low also.

But with a lift and some bigger shoes they are as capable as any other IFS D/C.

Having said that though if you done a test that involved a pure ramp over based obstacle and you had all the utes lined up with 2inch lifts then the D40 will loose.

personally i havent had any moments where i have not been able to make it somewhere my mates in hiluxs and tritons have.

Last edited:
This is why I bought this. 5mm plate. I did exactly the same thing in the dunes. Hey Nathan can you access the filter without droppin the plate?. Ive notice that no plates available in Oz have an access cover. Check out the factory plate molded around the sway bar and where it sheared from the front mounts.

Attachments

• IMAG0315[1].jpg
    IMAG0315[1].jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0303[1].jpg
    IMAG0303[1].jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 38
Hey Nathan can you access the filter without droppin the plate?. Ive notice that no plates available in Oz have an access cover.

Honestly as both my D40's have been serviced by mechanics due to the need to keep my warranty i have not had to do a filter my self, BUT neither Nissan or my own Mechanic have said anything (or charged me) about removing the plate to do the filter change on either one of my D40's.

I will have a better look in the morning and let you know how they do it.

Back