Bugger me!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
Well I thought I was going to do something good to my Nav by changing the K&N air filter yesterday but I stuffed it up!
I got distracted when I was in the middle of cleaning the air box and when I came back I FORGOT TO REMOVE THE RAG i put into the intake to avoid dirt entering it.
Few hundreds meters and the car was slowing down whit the boost at -7.8 psi.
I know exactly what it was but it was too late: damage is done rag hit the compressor inducer!
I came off fair easily but it looks like the tips of the compressor inducer are damaged. It still spins OK without noises and it still generate boost.

What are my options now?

I'm planning to give Nissan a call tomorrow but I'm not sure if that's the best option.

Thanks for your help.
Max

If the damage is even (therefore the compressor wheel remains balanced) there's a good chance you can continue using the turbo with minimal issues - maybe a minor drop in boost but nothing more.

However, you don't know if there's any cracking in the fins, or if the balance has been upset. If it has, when the turbo is going at full song - over 100,000rpm - the impeller stands a good chance of detonating. Your intercooler will fill with the pieces so that would need to come off for a good clean & inspect.

You can save yourself the trouble by replacing the impeller. I think Forefront Industries make new impellers, not sure if they do them to fit the factory turbos but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Chances are they could build you a custom impeller for less than what Nissan are asking - if Nissan will split a turbo at all. It's possible that you might have to shop @ Garrett itself. If Nissan will provide the part, then check www.nizzbits.com.au out for lower-cost genuine items.

Sure they can, if they're small enough. The intercooler will only stop the large chunks.

Chances are the smaller chunks won't bother the engine a LOT, but even a sand particle could (theoretically) be jammed into the valve seat and create an issue.

The way to know for sure is to conduct a compression test and ensure that everything is within tolerance, then conduct another test with the same equipment after a few hundred km. There should be next to no variation in the results (there can be variation between the cylinders, but that variation should remain constant over a few hundred km).

If there's a change, you would have to start to suspect some damage to either the bore or one of the valve seats. This is when you'd start considering pulling down the head - but that's an expensive exercise. If there's already something embedded in the valve seat or scarring the bore (or embedding itself in the head/piston crown) another few hundred km won't change the necessity for it to be repaired.

I really find it hard to imagine this happening. Chances are more that the particles will get caught up in the gummed up oil lying in the intercooler/intake manifold and won't make it to the engine.

If I was capable of doing it myself, my first choice would be to pop the intercooler off, remove all the post-turbo hosing (and post-intercooler too) then remove the intake manifold, clean the lot out and reassemble. Keep the contents, dilute and inspect for the little bits to see if you can find them all.

Thanks Tony
Now I can sleep better.
I'll give a call to a turbo shop tomorrow and see if they can change the compressor wheel.
Thanks again
Max

turbo rebuild or replace is the option. You dont want to run the risk of the turbine wheel coming of the shaft, that will really ruin your day

Yep, rebuild or replace ASAP. Not worth the risk of grenading the engine. It's the damage you CAN'T see to the impeller which will kill it. The forces generated by the impeller when rotating at speed are immense.

Check out eBay - might be able to pickup a S/H turbo and have it rebuilt, then replace yours with it. Rebuild time for yours? Depends how long you can handle your vehicle being off the road for.

It's quite possible there is a direct after-market replacement available for reasonable cost.

Yeah mate don't stress. Just send it off for a rebuild with new bearings, balancing and compressor wheel.

I remember servicing my Nav a while back with an app. mechanic from down the road. Bloke has some strange techniques. Cost me almost a bottle of oil as he didn't put the sump plug back in after draining oil and then once he later checked the level he didn't put the dipstick back in.... Drove about 50kms before I could smell oil...Thankfully my oil level didn't drop and I only lost about 30ml out the top of the dipstick.

I was almost speechless haha. My fault though, I should have checked!!

That's not bad money is it... I don't know much about turbo's, quality etc, but at that price, why would you take a chance with a second hand one?

yeah you can never really trust a 2nd hand turbo as you dont know what the life is like before hand. People go on about shaft play but this is really a useless point when there is no oil in the turbo.

for the money i would buy a new replacement or look at going a billet hi flow option for a bit more grunt but it doesnt hurt to do some research first.

in the mean time i would prob take it easy with the car as the risk of further damage to wheel/comp housing is high now that it is likely to slightly unbalanced

I must be the luckiest guy on the forum:
1)- Stuffed up my turbo during one of my "Blonde moments" (thanks Big Zetor yo made me laugh)
2)- Last working week of the year = everyone super busy
3)- The only one that can help has just moved factory and can not test it properly (not now)

I'm going for a new turbo replacement not sure if Garrett or what but I need to get the car back by Friday = around $2000 installed

Later on in the new year I'll have the original turbo rebuilt with a bigger compressor too.

- Do you guys reckon it would be worth it to give a call to the insurance company?

Thanks you all for your help and support
Max

Just for the ones that don't know it:
Insurance covers engine breakdown only if due to "impact damage" = collision

I guess it's pretty hard to impact damage only the turbo....:-C

I must be the luckiest guy on the forum:
1)- Stuffed up my turbo during one of my "Blonde moments" (thanks Big Zetor yo made me laugh)
2)- Last working week of the year = everyone super busy
3)- The only one that can help has just moved factory and can not test it properly (not now)

I'm going for a new turbo replacement not sure if Garrett or what but I need to get the car back by Friday = around $2000 installed

Later on in the new year I'll have the original turbo rebuilt with a bigger compressor too.

- Do you guys reckon it would be worth it to give a call to the insurance company?

Thanks you all for your help and support
Max

there are cheaper options out there and install it yourself to save some coin. Not a big or hard job to do

Latest posts

Back