Buying a 2003 Nissan navara dx ZD30 ????? Engine problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldog8

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a new member thought I'd join the forum as I plan to buy a Nissan navara and you guys would know alot about them and there engine problems the navara I'm thinking of buying is a 2003 Nissan navara dx 3lt turbo diesel the qd30 I'm pretty sure I have read endless things on the net about melting pistons,cracked heads, Conrod bearings failing and Conrod bolts so I wana do my home work befor buying the navara I've been looking for model date for these bad batch of engines that went through Nissan or even a engine number so I can aleast check the serial number or engine number to try see if this navara is one that could possibly be a lemon also the cars done 209000 so that makes me think if it was a lemon it should of already went
Bang any info or input would be great guys
Cheers Dave

i have a mate with one of those, ZD30 engine. turbo non intercooled. legendary truck mate, the ZD30 was more common for issues in the patrol than the navara. his has nilly 300,000 on it and still loves it!!! pretty sure its a different EGR set up on the navara, correct me if im wrong fellow members??

QD30? you mean ZD30? early ones were apparently prone to problems in navaras as well not so much as the patrol ones but still I have heard of things like melted pistons in them.

If its QD32 you mean they are pretty much bulletproof, very very good engine just a bit of a slug.

Hi guys I'm a new member thought I'd join the forum as I plan to buy a Nissan navara and you guys would know alot about them and there engine problems the navara I'm thinking of buying is a 2003 Nissan navara dx 3lt turbo diesel the qd30 I'm pretty sure I have read endless things on the net about melting pistons,cracked heads, Conrod bearings failing and Conrod bolts so I wana do my home work befor buying the navara I've been looking for model date for these bad batch of engines that went through Nissan or even a engine number so I can aleast check the serial number or engine number to try see if this navara is one that could possibly be a lemon also the cars done 209000 so that makes me think if it was a lemon it should of already went
Bang any info or input would be great guys
Cheers Dave

Hey mate. Welcome to the forums.

I've got an '03 DX with the ZD30 motor and love it. 240K on the clock and still going strong. My garage has all the mods listed. The only major mechanical issues I've had with her was replacing the injector seals about 20,000k's ago.

Do you know the service history on the vehicle? I'd still be taking it to a mechanic to give it a check over.

Good luck

I have almost 270,000km's on my 2006 model.

Had minimal work done to it, besides servicing.

Well by the sounds of what you guys have told me they seem like there a pretty good motor and not much goes wrong with them does anyone know what year they started using the zd30 in the navaras so I can stay clear of the early ones ??

Whats your budget mate ?

2004-2006 have SFA problems going by what I have seen on here.

Some people are dreaming with the prices they want though.

The VG33E is a good motor too, bit heavier on fuel but gets stronger diffs then the 4 cylinders. Thats petrol and diesel 4 cylinders.

Just towed a 3tonne car trailer with my XR6 on the back of my 03 D22 3.0L and it was my first time with such a big weight on the back if her and holy s*** am I surprised how well she pulled it... I thought it would be a slug and a half but the spirited nav just kept going. Got a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and Egr block with a catch can (i know the catch can has no power gains whatsoever) and you can really feel the difference down low in the rev range when towing.. Pulled like a truck! 172,000kms and not a single thing wrong. Very bloody happy with her after today

I have had 3 tonne behind mine, you know the weight is on the back but they dont do too bad.

Any vehicle would feel that kind of weight haha but I'd never towed that much with her (most was probably the jet ski once) and yeah, she surprised me yesterday :)

They always go better after working hard too.

For some reason I've actually got a feeling she is running a bit better than before the tow. Maybe it's psychological I dunno but definitely have a new found respect for the old nav :) how many Kim's is your Navara up to Dave? I'm interested because I'm keen on running the Navara 300,000kms+ haha cheers mate :)

Just towed a 3tonne car trailer with my XR6 on the back of my 03 D22 3.0L and it was my first time with such a big weight on the back if her and holy s*** am I surprised how well she pulled it... I thought it would be a slug and a half but the spirited nav just kept going. Got a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and Egr block with a catch can (i know the catch can has no power gains whatsoever) and you can really feel the difference down low in the rev range when towing.. Pulled like a truck! 172,000kms and not a single thing wrong. Very bloody happy with her after today

Interesting u say that..... What about take off from a standing start.... especially when on a hill??

I recently towed our van and it towed it very well once u were up and running but on take off, especially is there was a bit of a incline, then it took a bit to get it going....

Interesting u say that..... What about take off from a standing start.... especially when on a hill??

I recently towed our van and it towed it very well once u were up and running but on take off, especially is there was a bit of a incline, then it took a bit to get it going....

Taking off on flat or a small incline wasn't too bad, you just have to work the clutch a bit harder but anything that I believe will be a struggle I'd chuck her into low range to just get to the top of the incline and then switch over. It definitely would need a fair bit of work to get going on a hill though in 2WD high range haha. For work I drive the new V8 diesel 78 Series Landcruiser troop carriers with about 2.5-3.0 tonne trailer and takes took a bit of work too :)

Mine has just clicked on 310000 kilometres and not a thing wrong with the motor just 1 turbo blow up at 150000 and thats it. Ohhhhhh and no power loss what so ever.

300,000km on my 02 dx 3.0 t.d nav and still going well. about to take 5 months off work and hit the road with van and no concerns at all.

300,000km on my 02 dx 3.0 t.d nav and still going well. about to take 5 months off work and hit the road with van and no concerns at all.

I like reading things like this about people's Navs. Gives me a great boost in confidence for my 175,000 km Nav. Good luck mate and hope ya have a ball!

Jarryd

Latest posts

Back