buying a navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mav

Reaction score
hi guys

im new to this forum and hoping you can help me out

we are looking at purchasing a navara
D40 2010 ST, diesel manual
however im told this engine is the one before hte upgrade in 2011
now im worried that this wont do the job we want it to

we tow horses / boats on average approx 1-2per wk

do you think this would be suitable or is it going to lack the power we need?

i have heard good and bad reports about these cars used as tow vehicles

im confused and worried that we are going to waste our money

Welcome...

there are plenty here that tow decent loads without complaint with respect to engine power,
but they will stress to you that an auto trans is the best way to go for that purpose in mind , so I would recommend that to you...

Youll get some more postings later on in the day as well..

Cheers.

I towed with my manual series 5 d40st plenty of times without issue (some stuff I shouldn't have too):
IMG-20111129-00244.jpg

IMG-20111129-00245.jpg

I'd use low range to at low speed though which is not ideal,but first gear is very tall in these things.That combined with the cost of replacing the clutch and dual mass flywheel,and the turbo lag with the tall first led me to buy an auto this time around.

Welcome to the forums. My 09 has pulled over 3 Tonne of cow and trailer on more than one occasion.

I think it was something like the ST in 2010 came with the 127KW and the STX got the upgraded 140KW engine however that 127KW is all the 09's got so I wouldn't be overly worried about pulling a few boats and horseys, but yeah as the others say go the auto you will thank yourself later.

thanks guys i am feeling a little better now
why is the auto better than the manual?
we have always owned manuals - mainly toyotas (i will run & hide now lol)
and found manuals to be better

thanks again for your responses

Welcome to the forum.

+1 on the auto. Burning clutches aren't nice and if you ride the clutch a little the DMF heats up really fast and cooks the thing, some as early as 30,000km. A single-mass flywheel would allow the heat to draw away from the clutch surface so if you MUST have a manual, factor in the extra cost of changing the flywheel over.

The auto is better because they used a dual mass flywheel in the manual. The clutch face is very thin and as it heats up, the heat has nowhere to go, so the temp skyrockets.

The fuel consumption of the auto is a little higher (only a little), but it's a very smooth gearbox. The 2010 ST is pretty much the same as the 2009 STX - 126kW engine. The upgrade is in the STX - 140kW motor - then the STX550, which is a V6 producing 170kW. The 550 has its own issues with heat but it pulls like a 14 year old schoolboy in a room full of playboy magazines.

I've found that I'm fairly happy with how my car (same power as the 2010 ST) tows. We've towed a 1.8T van for about 30,000km now, up and down the Great Dividing Range, down around the coast into Victoria, up to Broken Hill and back home, then to Uluru and home via Victoria and the Alpine Way climbing through Thredbo into Cooma and home again.

I do drive a little slower than some folk do - I do let the car slow on hills, I don't often exceed 100km/h - although when we saw the 130km/h zone going through Kulgera we thought "WHY NOT" and discovered that at 125km/h the torque converter sticks like glue and we only used 17LPHK - bonus!

A lot of the current utes have dual mass flywheels, so it doesn't matter which brand of car you choose - if you really need a manual, be prepared to cough a little extra to change it over, particularly towing heavy stuff.

It cost's $2.5k to do a clutch in the manual,and the first gear in them makes taking off with a load on any sort of incline (or at all depending how heavy) very hard with out riding the clutch.Therefore if you tow a lot expect the 2.5k whack sooner rather than later.

thanks for the info
something to def look at
what sort of fuel economy are you guys getting on freeway not towing?
as this will also be my run around car

thanks for the info guys
something to def think about

what is your fuel economy on the freeway not towing - as this is going to be my run around car as well

cheers

Manuals definatley have there advantages. Fuel economy, better engine braking, you decide when to change, not some computer. I have a manual myself but never intend to tow anything with it. However there has been issues with D40 clutches, although I know of one D40 with a heeps of K's on it, he tows a camper trailer and it has probably done more off road K's than on and still has the orriginal clutch.
If you where towing a horse float once every one or two months I wouldn't be to worried but 1-2 times a week it's another thing.

As for economy it really does depend on how you drive. At Christmas with 2700kg (just the Navara, loaded) we managed 10.6LPHK - the brand new vehicle is supposed to get 10.5 on the highway.

Around town, expect 12s to 14s.

I was getting 10/100 in the manual,my auto's only done 180k's so i wont know till it get's a few under it's belt.

my two cents worth - after driving a 2007 RX style side 3.0 ltr manual for the last 9 months and now my own 2011 RX Cab Chassis 2.5 ltr manual for a bit over a month, the 1st gear in mine is far far easier to get going with than the 2007 model is. The 3.0 ltr is a shocker for slipping the clutch to get going. From what others have said above, it may be my choice of a cab chassis has made my life so much easier than a style side converted to a tray-back. HUGE :)

Just replaced my clutch after 240,000.... D22 manual zd30..

$1100 fitted.. for an Exedy Heavy Duty..

Tows 3t boat around fine.. Does have to go back to 3rd on some big hills but Not in any hurry at all...

yeh mate dont worry if it manual just do what im gonna do and prove all the critics wrong
and buy the manual.

Back