Cable routing of IPF lights kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
After a search and manual check of messages and threads... I could not locate a thread or message that had the info I am looking for - to be able to remove some of the guess work out of where to route the wiring kit for the IPF lights i bought on Saturday morning from ARB Toowoomba.

Unlike the other two ARB products (Deluxe bar and Side protection steps) the instructions are very, very spartan indeed.

Can anyone shed some light (intended pun) on where the wiring is routed on their IPF or other brand driving lights install?
Thanks for any assistance.

Mine have had cable protector put around them and run straight in through the grille. Not sure if they did much rearranging in the 2011 engine bay, but in my 2009 there's a metal post behind the battery (between the battery and the brake booster - plenty of room for hands) that can take a relay and a thermal reset breaker.

Thanks Tony,
that is part of the puzzle answered, but the other is the location of the grommet in the firewall to run the internal wiring through... after doing a coupld of hours on the ride-on mower, it was near dark and I could not locate the grommet in Q to get a squizz at where i needed to run the wires through to the cabin.
Will have to have a detailed look about the engine bay and under the dash in the morning or lunch time at work.
I was hoping to get the lights fitted up prior to a long drive this weekend.

Im not to shuer if the d40 is the same as the d22 but i ran all my cables thro the gromet that is on the passange side of the fire wall. Pushed them thro with a coat hanger and ran them up behid the dash to the switch. I have a mate who put his switch in the engien bay. The law only states that you need a switch in the circuit, it dose not say where you have to put it.

For mine, the switch has to be in the cabin within easy reach of the driver. Just my preference and i want them accessible for other drivers of my ute too.
That said, i think there should be a grommet on the DS of the fire wall, as that is where the battery is, albeit near the front of the DS side. But stranger things have happened with factory wiring in vehicles.
Thanks for the input.

hey mate,

There should be a grommet on both sides of your nav going form the engine bay to the cabin (there is in my 09 tai D40). Have a look under the dash above the foot pedals on the right, its a round rubber grommet.

You will need something strong and sharp to tape your wires to and push then through as it can be a struggle. I just cut up an old metal coat hanger and taped the wires to it. Then simply feed your wires through to were you want your switch.

Now we're talking :) many thanks Ox.
I will see what can be done with the wires through that grommet you mentioned above the foot pedals.
I will be sure to post up some pics of the whole route for others to be able to follow.

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, I had no grommet that was suitable in the firewall. In my Nav, the factory loom is set in some sort of sticky gelatinous shit & there was no way I was poking a hole in that. I ended up taking my wire through a small grommet in the A pillar but it was a very indirect route.

If you can't find another way, I can take a photo of where I am talking about.

Thanks Joe,
I will have a gander at the grommet above the pedals in my ute to see whether it can be done or it is as yours is... sticky gel stuff.

Hi Guys,

I used some pretty thick wire and sharpened it on the grinder then stabbed it through the space jelly with all the other wires it took a lot of swearing and the like but once through it made wiring the switch very simple.

I fed mine through the hole TheOx is talking about if u have a look under the bonnet it comes out behind the ECU

How did you go grasshoppper?

When i originally fed my cable through for the spotties i left a small draw wire sitting in the grommet making it easy to pull any wires through there in the future.

cheers.

Get yourself some 4mm 7 core trailer cable, find the grommet on the passenger side (its easier than the driver's side and run 2 lengths through long enough to reach from the accelerator pedal inside to behind the passenger side headlight, that will give you enough wires for pretty much anything....

Oh and if you pull the glove box out you'll find its a lot easier.....

Hi Ox,
Work has been too busy since the question to get the job done... oh that and a trip central qld this weekend, still away from home now. Hoping to get a go at it tomorrow (Monday arvo) after unpacking and other chores... hopefully.

Progress has been made, the wiring under the bonnet was almost completed this arvo after work. I think I am going to use the spare grommet on the passenger side firewall. I could not see the other spare one on the driver's side.
Both of my wiring looms into the cabin have a rubber "L" cone type grommet on either side of the engine bay. Not the gel tar type stuff others have reported. :)
The grommet on the passenger's side has thus far eluded my efforts to locate it under the cabin noise layer and rubber type backing layer. Hoping that the lack of mozzies and more light in the morning will assist me in completing the wiring run...
Mount up lights and connect up, then happy times. Oh, and the lessons learnt will be shared with others here and make my job of making my own loom up for the NJ Pajero lights (older Narva rectangular metal back combo).
Thanks to those who offered up their experience and methods.

IPF 900 XS lights installed and working.
Photos have been uploaded into an album that i created in the member's D40 albums.
The inside firewall noise shield is tough to cut through, but a modelling scalpel made short work of it, after other options were tried.
The kit has no where near enough zip ties included. I used an extra dozen or more to securely route the wires about the engine bay and under the dash.
Being relaxed and flexible is a MUST for this install - getting to the inside of the grommet is no easy feat... repeatedly.
Thanks again to those who offered up wisdom, I used almost all of it to complete the job.

Thanks for posting the link Tony :)
I see they have been viewed by numerous members already. Good to see that they are being accessed for ideas by others.

I had a look only because of Tony's link. I don't think I could find it myself & buggered if I know how you put them there.

Nice job.

Back