Camping setups

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbogu

Reaction score
Well seen as how i sugested this forum thought i might start off

Post up a pic of your camping set up, whether it be a camper trailer, roof top tent, ground tent or a swag

Ive got a roof top tent at the moment which ive used once and now with a bub on the way im going to sell it and buy a camper trailer so im keen to see every one elses set ups

cheers sean

here is my quick weekend get away type setup ....

Scottybobcat in the foreground - WoodyD40 in the background

P6100218.jpg

EDIT:
Photo taken on recent VNOG snow trip

Well seen as how i sugested this forum thought i might start off

Post up a pic of your camping set up, whether it be a camper trailer, roof top tent, ground tent or a swag

Ive got a roof top tent at the moment which ive used once and now with a bub on the way im going to sell it and buy a camper trailer so im keen to see every one elses set ups

cheers sean

Sean

May i suggest that you dont be too quick to get rid of the roof top tent - there are times when they are more practicle for weekend getaways, than lugging a camper trailer with you - as we found out on the past weekend.

It has the added advantage that if you do go away with guests who are not used to camping, you can have both the camper trailer (for you and family) and guests can use the roof top - saves bringing a spare tent etc. This happened to us on the March long weekend - we had a young couple who had just bought their first 4wd and wanted to tag along with us on a club trip, but had no equipment at all. So they only needed sleeping bags and pillows as we had everything else. They had a blast - being able to get away like that with so little initial outlay.

I find i tend to plan a weekend gettaway with the camper trailer with a lot more preperation. I unpack and repack the whole trailer just to make sure everything is where i want it for when i get to where i'm going - instead of how i stuffed everything in when i packed up from the last trip.

With the Roof top - i just throw what i need into the back of the ute and take off. Really simple, and much less stress.

With the type of trips i intend to do, there are times when either the roof top or the camper trailer will be used - and i really like the opportunity to be flexible with the trips i plan. Expecially with a young one in the family.

Here's our typical campsite during the Simo. We ordered a Jet Tent but it never turned up in time so we quickly bought this cheap Nylon tent out of the local paper for $100. It was still in its orginal plastic wrapping.

P1000973.jpg

If only the tent came with these features...
P1010228.jpg

(Puni Bore Simpson Desert).

The Nylon tent has now been retired.

Last edited:
Sean

May i suggest that you dont be too quick to get rid of the roof top tent - there are times when they are more practicle for weekend getaways, than lugging a camper trailer with you - as we found out on the past weekend.

/QUOTE]

Yeah i have thought of that but if i do any trips wth out the trailer means mum and bub will be at home so ill just swag it either that they will be day trips and wont really need either

Plus its easier to justify to the minister if i tell her im selling the tent to offset some of the cost of the van, and she likes her comforts so im looking at something like a jayco pop top, swan, finch etc hopefully she'll like one of them!!

Bub is due late january and we were planning a trip for march from tassie to darwin and back so i kinda want it to be nice for all 3 of us too

Thanks again for the sugestion mate

regards sean

My wife and I enjoy the van too much:

09-RockandRoll.jpg

It's particularly useful if you're hauling long distances, you can just pull over wherever you are able to find some level(ish) ground and have lunch, or a toilet break, or a sleep, without having to do any setup at all.

It's not so good in rough territory, deep water or very slippery and uneven surfaces.

IMAG0052-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine ....... the "El Cheapo".

the dunny is where you dig it, and the bath is in the cold mountain stream.

:cheers!:

Attachments

• 11042010050.jpg
    11042010050.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,412
It might be el cheapo but also looks like a lot of fun .Keep it simple you don't need expensive gear to have fun

If only i could persued the other half to camp like that id be rich!!!

nice set up mate

My solution was to take her with me through the Simo. After day two in the desert she couldn't hold on any longer. She's now an expert at digging a hole! lol

If only i could persued the other half to camp like that id be rich!!!

nice set up mate

yep it does make a great weekend escape.
Though, I have always had a liking and and will look at getting in the future a rooftop and or camper trailer.
Its just dependant on how many times the whole tribe will come away as most of the time its only a couple, hence the swag setup.

A recent trip to Dartmouth Dam in the high country.
I towed a 4.5 m boat in a well.http://www.navara.asia/gallery/data/501/dart0.JPG
[IMG]http://www.navara.asia/gallery/data/500/DART01.JPG

Here's our camp. Easy to set up and pull down. And very comfortable. Unfortunately, this camp is at is at one of the number of cattle stations in the Kimberly's which probably won't exist soon thanks to the Labour Government.

0176compressed.jpg

Last edited:
Here's our camp. Easy to set up and pull down. And very comfortable. Unfortunately, this camp is at is at one of the number of cattle stations in the Kimberly's which probably won't exist soon thanks to the Labour Government.

Thats the type of jayco im looking at getting, how does the navara tow it? what sort of economy do you get with the van hooked up??

cheers sean

Thats the type of jayco im looking at getting, how does the navara tow it? what sort of economy do you get with the van hooked up??

cheers sean

JAYCO, Pfffttttt. That's a Goldstream you are looking at. Shits all over Jayco as far as off road ability. Jayco's are fine for the black stuff but don't even ask then about off road warranty. Anyway, back to your question; The only way you know the van is on the back is when you are fueling up. When the Goldy is fully loaded up it weighs in at about 1.7T (150lt water, 2 x 9kg gas bottles, clothes and food for 4 etc) so it costs a bit more to run the car. The fuel consumption is anywhere from 15 - 20lt/100.

It pulls it fine. Old Tony has a bigger van so it might be worth asking him how his goes also. I'll be chipping my D40 as soon as i decide which way to go.

Last edited:
My van isn't that much bigger, although it's a twin axle - fully loaded, 1.8T, fuel consumption between 15.5LPHK and 20LPHK. Yes, I've had it out as bad as 24LPHK but that was a really, really bad tank of fuel.

JAYCO, Pfffttttt. That's a Goldstream you are looking at. Shits all over Jayco as far as off road ability. Jayco's are fine for the black stuff but don't even ask then about off road warranty. Anyway, back to your question; The only way you know the van is on the back is when you are fueling up. When the Goldy is fully loaded up it weighs in at about 1.7T (150lt water, 2 x 9kg gas bottles, clothes and food for 4 etc) so it costs a bit more to run the car. The fuel consumption is anywhere from 15 - 20lt/100.

It pulls it fine. Old Tony has a bigger van so it might be worth asking him how his goes also. I'll be chipping my D40 as soon as i decide which way to go.

Oops my bad sorry!!! thanks for letting me know tho cause ill look into one of them!

My van isn't that much bigger, although it's a twin axle - fully loaded, 1.8T, fuel consumption between 15.5LPHK and 20LPHK. Yes, I've had it out as bad as 24LPHK but that was a really, really bad tank of fuel.

cheers to both of you, thats not bad economy given both yours are auto so hopefully mine being manual should be better

Im not fussed about the cost of running, as big trips only happen once a year, its more the touring distance but hopefully a second tank will sort that out.

any way seen as how i started this thread heres a couple of pics of mine with the tent on before i bought the canopy

cheers sean

0510101646-00.jpg

0510101643-01.jpg

0510101643-00.jpg

Latest posts

Back