Can’t find dipstick

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John308

Reaction score
Looking to check fluid level in my auto trans and there is no dipstick or tube that I can find. Checked owners manual and it recommends fluid check by dealer. Surely I can do it myself. 2013 Spanish d40 auto. Any help would be appreciated

For some stupid reason, Nissan decided not to give us a dipstick as is used by every other vehicle I've ever worked on. I really hope the idiot "engineer" who came up with this is no longer allowed to have anything to do with anything mechanical ever again.

The dipstick is there but you won't find a handle to grab hold of. Tucked down on the driver's side of the engine is the tube housing the dipstick but you need to undo an M6 bolt to be able to remove it to check your level. It's an absurd design that makes what should be a routine job ridiculously difficult, especially given how hard it is to get to it and how often you're likely to drop the bolt when trying to put it back in. I don't have any images to share with you but perhaps somebody else does.

In regards to the manual suggesting you have the dealer check the fluid level, they also suggest you have the dealer do anything and everything else. There is absolutely no technical reason behind such a suggestion. It's merely trying to drum up more (very lucrative) business for their dealers. You can indeed do this yourself and will in the process come to despise that "engineer" as much as I do.

For some stupid reason, Nissan decided not to give us a dipstick as is used by every other vehicle I've ever worked on. I really hope the idiot "engineer" who came up with this is no longer allowed to have anything to do with anything mechanical ever again.

The dipstick is there but you won't find a handle to grab hold of. Tucked down on the driver's side of the engine is the tube housing the dipstick but you need to undo an M6 bolt to be able to remove it to check your level. It's an absurd design that makes what should be a routine job ridiculously difficult, especially given how hard it is to get to it and how often you're likely to drop the bolt when trying to put it back in. I don't have any images to share with you but perhaps somebody else does.

In regards to the manual suggesting you have the dealer check the fluid level, they also suggest you have the dealer do anything and everything else. There is absolutely no technical reason behind such a suggestion. It's merely trying to drum up more (very lucrative) business for their dealers. You can indeed do this yourself and will in the process come to despise that "engineer" as much as I do.
Thanks for the swift reply I will have a look today cheers

Wait until you get the later models. No dipstick at all, you have to undo the charge hole that's UNDER the gearbox after heating the transmission to 40C. Add a little oil with Nissan's special oil adding tool and then wait for the flow to slow down to a slow drip indicating that the oil level is at the top of the filling hole and not higher.

Yes, they fill UPWARDS.

It does guarantee that you can't overfill the auto, but really, it would have been easier to have an overflow at the side, with a normal filling point and a normal dipstick for checking, but in their infinite wisdom they want the servicing to only be done by a Nissan Certified Technician (I could have typed "trained monkey with Nissan service manual" and it would mean the same thing).

No, I'm not really bitter at Nissan, I just think sometimes their engineers get things a little arse-up.

Wait until you get the later models. No dipstick at all, you have to undo the charge hole that's UNDER the gearbox after heating the transmission to 40C. Add a little oil with Nissan's special oil adding tool and then wait for the flow to slow down to a slow drip indicating that the oil level is at the top of the filling hole and not higher.
It sounds like they either kept that same "engineer" or found an even worse one under some rock. FWIW, I've worked with several dozen engineers at various points in my working life and I only ever considered two of them worthy of the name. I worked with one of them when I was in my twenties and ran into him again while I was visiting the Toyota plant, some 30 or more years later.

No, I'm not really bitter at Nissan, I just think sometimes their engineers get things a little arse-up.
I'm also not overly bitter at Nissan in general either but they really do make some idiotic decisions.

Automatic transmissions don't generally have dipsticks any more. I think ZF led the way, but others have followed.

The "new" method is pretty simple though, you buy the kit which has adaptors for various brands and use it to drain and refill the fluid from underneath.

It's a simple job if you have the vehicle on a lift.

It's a simple job if you have the vehicle on a lift.
And therein lies the problem. I wonder just how many of us have ready access to a car lift. Checking the transmission fluid level is something the owner/driver needs to be able to do for themselves, just like checking the other fluid levels. Or don't (other) people do that anymore?

I left the m6 bolt out some 8 years ago, with no problems.

Yes, they fill UPWARDS.

It does guarantee that you can't overfill the auto, but really, it would have been easier to have an overflow at the side, with a normal filling point and a normal dipstick for checking, but in their infinite wisdom they want the servicing to only be done by a Nissan Certified Technician (I could have typed "trained monkey with Nissan service manual" and it would mean the same thing).

I think that a lot of cars come out without a dipstick, I think my old AU falcon didn't have one - late 80's. It just confirms my belief in keeping the old girl.

And therein lies the problem. I wonder just how many of us have ready access to a car lift. Checking the transmission fluid level is something the owner/driver needs to be able to do for themselves, just like checking the other fluid levels. Or don't (other) people do that anymore?
Unfortunately (I think) ZF also pioneered the "Lifetime Fill" method for transmissions. Basically saying dont touch it, if it ain't broke.

I have a 2018 model vehicle that has not only retained the auto dipstick but has an external spin on filter!
There is hope.... :)

Had a quick look yesterday and could not find it. If anyone has an image or diagram of its location it would be a great help. Does the engine cover need to be removed maybe? Thanks in advance

The engine cover does not require removal. It's on the right hand side and I access the bolt via the gap in the wheel well liner. Doing a fluid change only 4 litres comes out so I put a 4 litre bottle back in. Maybe your model doesn't have a dipstick?

Last edited:
That's the location looking from the rhs wheel. It's just under the steering shaft

Attachments

• IMG_20220105_085628.jpg
    IMG_20220105_085628.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220105_085713.jpg
    IMG_20220105_085713.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
Noooo, not on our Navara. It's an Allison.
Just saying that with a bit of a of luck, they might not all be going down the path of "Lifetime fill" 🤞

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back