Can any please tell me about my horn? [PIC]

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoNav

Reaction score
I got my Navara second hand and I am sure that this horn is not stock as all the posts I found on the forum so far were about how "sissy" the stock horn is.

POoqXGC.jpg

You can see in the pic that there looks to be an air compressor mounted in front of the radiator and it has two pipes leading from the bottom of it. I traced the pipes down and they seem to both enter the side of the radiator.

0Vi1KnM.jpg

For the size of the two horns that the plastic tube connects to, I would have expected a bigger sound. Could they need cleaning or maintenance if they are not putting out a big sound?

The cap on the side of the compressor says Marco A2/R which seems to match this. I can't seem to figure out where the wiring is or it's source of power. Can anyone tell me any more about it?

Last edited:
Yep.

Here are the two horns...
nKmlDWl.jpg
HjPzPyY.jpg

The air compressor appears to be the cylindrical object above the red circle in the first picture.

Thats just the unit for the air horn. Now with those second pics its clearer. Some blokes run a double air horn.

I bought a Nauticus double horn (different to the set up you have) off Egay and it's fair loud. Yours may just be a cheapo one. Definantly not factory though 100% sure

Last edited:
I'm going out to check under my bonnet. Something tells me that cylinder you're pointing to is for the air conditioner. Back in a flash!

Edit: Yep. Air conditioner. Probably the drier? I'm no air conditioning expert, but it's not a compressor - my car has the same thing there as yours and mine sports the full-on bra-burning panty-lined girly horn.

Last edited:
Do you know why the pipes from the bottom of the compressor connect to the radiator?

You are looking at the air conditioning condenser pipework. The air horns will have the compressor mounted somewhere else.

If the horn(s) are not performing as you expect they are likely blocked or water damaged. They should be mounted facing downwards to stop them retaining water.

Follow the pipe just below the red circle in the first picture. The clear hose will go to the compressor for the horns, as above, the pipes you are looking at go between the air con condenser and the receiver/drier of the air con system....

Yep, I was wrong. As there was limited visibility I couldn't see there were actually two cylinders. One is clearly the compressor for the air horn (horizontal at the top) and the other is the aforementioned condenser (vertical).

Looks like I'll have to take out the horns and compressor and give them a clean and oil!

FT9mxzt.jpg
yVRJTZB.jpg

Thanks to everyone for replying and pointing me in the right direction.

If you can hear the compressor spinning when operating the horn it might only need lubricating. The vanes in the pumps need lubrication so they don't stick. In the old days the good quality compressors had a cap on the top to occasionally put a few drops of sewing machine oil in. That compressor looks like a sealed unit but if you can find the air inlet spray some WD40 in there while someone is operating the horn (might have to unbolt the compressor and angle it to get the inlet to the top so the WD40 gets in). This usually gets them working.

Cheers ants, I did exactly that. All the black gunk that was coming out with the WD-40 was spraying everywhere so I wrapped the compressor with an old rag to try and catch it. Bad move, a thread from the rag got sucked into the compressor inlet and I assume it seized the turbine! It immediately blew the fuse and another when I replaced that fuse to confirm.
Out of curiosity I pulled the compressor apart to see if I could take out the thread but that part is a completely sealed unit. The top left part in the image has the inlet and outlet and is basically one piece of metal with a crimped lid that I could not figure out how to pry open.

LRlOJby.jpg

Looks like I will be heading to eBay to replace it, unless someone knows where I can just buy a compressor on its own; and Super Cheap/Jaycar for some new fuses!

Last edited:
Personally I'd be tempted to mix a little Drano into water and pour that into the turbine to try and dissolve the cloth. It may not do any damage to the components inside which makes it a win, and if it does damage it, well it wasn't the first to have a go! :rofl2:

Latest posts

Back