Cannot even fit a bull bar to D40!!! Are these a 4 x 4 or just a grocery fetcher??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodogs

Reaction score
I have a 2007 V6 D40 and one of the many recalls on this ute was in regards to "The installation of front end protection accessories may cause the bonnet to pop up". I sent mine in to be checked but having only a nudge bar fitted at the time all was declared good and they explained that the concern was mainly with the weight of steel bull bars. I have since then fitted an alloy 4 poster bar (Tuff Bars) forgetting all about the recall and only noticed the other day when servicing the ute a sticker in the front of the handbook stating that "Any installation of any front end protection accessories exceeding 55Kg must require the installation of Nissan upgraded front springs and a nissan upgraded heavy duty bonnet restraint kit.....all available at Nissan spare parts. Failure to do this may result in the bonnet becoming unlatched and lifting while driving". I called up Tuff bars and they informed me that the bar weighs approximately 60Kg. I then called the Nissan dealer to ask what do I do now being that I have fitted a bull bar and they reckon that because I fitted the bar I have to pay for the springs and bonnet restraint and the installation even though Nissan did a recall, which in my books is an admission of them having made a mistake. I am waiting on a call back from the dealer with some prices and what the weight of the spring is that they will be fitting but I will be having a go at them or finding out where I can vent my disbelief that I have to pay for this. The Navara is a 4 x 4, correct??? and is sold as a 4 x 4, correct??? so shouldn't it be able to be fitted with a bull bar without having to upgrade the front suspension or the bonnet restraint??? What weight is a genuine Nissan bull bar???? Does it state on purchase that upgraded springs will be required and the installation of heavy duty bonnet restraint all at an extra cost?? I really believe that Nissan should upgrade all the suspensions and do the mods to the bonnet restraints as part of the recall if they feel that it is a possible risk of the bonnet becoming unattached. The fitting of a bull bar is just a standard installation on any 4 x 4 without having to go into any more additional costs just because the ute has be designed incorrectly!!! :rant:

It's not just Nissan. Other manufacturers have been doing the same thing.

It's supposed to happen only with heavy front-ends (typically steel bullbars with winches fitted) being driven on corrugated unsealed roads in excess of 90km/h. They fit the heavier springs to raise the front to the level it was supposed to be at, and fit the bonnet restraint to prevent the bonnet from flying up under the aforementioned conditions.

If you're not going to do 90km/h on the CSR then you would have little to worry about. Personally I'd at least get the bonnet restraint fitted - but the springs are your choice. If you're happy with the ride height and softness of the front suspension, leave it.

Perfect reason to get a lift from your favorite suspension shop. (rather than Nissans springs)

Be carefull !! I was talking to Wayne D4t at the muster and I'm sure that he told me that he took his D40 in for a factory recall to do the bonnet catch up grade . When he went to pick his car up they had taken his after market suspension off and replaced it with new stock crapp . He told them that this was better quality after market springs and shocks. and they told him that this was what they were told to do for the up grade . So he had to have the after market stuff put back in.:rant:

Thats what happens when they let the apprentice near a vehicle. I would have insisted that the dealer reinstalled the upgraded equipment.

D40's are just a grocery getter.

Best you rip that VQ40DE out and install it in a D22.

I would have to agree with you that Nissan should put your nav in with all the others that were done in the recall, unfortunately like Tony sad Nissan is not the only ones with this problem.
Most of the people i go 4wheeling with own Hilux's, and all of them have had to upgrade the springs. As soon as they put a bar on the front dropped, the car bounced like a boat and sagged so much it looked like something in the front end had snapped..

In my opinion the manufactures are trying so hard to get all 4x4's to handle like cars that if they put heavy springs in from the get go the ride would suffer, so when we went for our test drive we would think the ride to be a little to harsh. Personally i dont care how the ute handles from factory as i new mine would be going bush and i new i wanted it lifted. I also new i wanted a bar and winch, which i would not expect the stock springs to handle. So as soon as i picked the ute up i booked it in for the suspension to be done.

interesting subject. when i purchased my D40 st a few months ago i was told that the thailand ST 2011 allready has the upgraded springs. I got the nissan nudge bar with spotties so no problem anyway. I was told by one dealer that if you purchased nissan bull bar then nissan would pay for the springs upgrade if needed. Might be cheaper to fit original nissan if they pay for the upgrade?
mine drives too good more like a car than a ute to have heavy duty springs maybe the heavy duty springs they fit are just a little more harder but still gives a car like drive?

Last edited:
Aftermarket suspension still goes under R&D if you go with a reputable Australian brand like most things you will keep the quality ride.
I used a Dobinson 2 inch kit and it raised it 4 inches so the springs werew sagged 2 inches from the day I picked it up. But I found the ride to be better than standard as it was no longer bottoming out.

interesting subject. when i purchased my D40 st a few months ago i was told that the thailand ST 2011 allready has the upgraded springs. I got the nissan nudge bar with spotties so no problem anyway. I was told by one dealer that if you purchased nissan bull bar then nissan would pay for the springs upgrade if needed. Might be cheaper to fit original nissan if they pay for the upgrade?
mine drives too good more like a car than a ute to have heavy duty springs maybe the heavy duty springs they fit are just a little more harder but still gives a car like drive?

When I bought mine, I was told I would have to pay for the upgraded springs, if I bought the nissan bar, even if I was swapping the suspension out... so I bought an ARB bar.

Dave told me he kept the ute clean because he didn't want to show everyone else up with his driving skills.

I had the recall and the only thing that was done was the bonnet restrainer. Why? Well in the first few days of owning the vehicle I had the OEM suspension tossed and a composite Ridepro job fitted by a reputable off road mechanic. This isn't just a D40 thing either.....there aren't too many cruisers and patrols running around with factory suspension as it IS designed to give the best ride on the highway and around town....definitely not for off road work.

All of your comments have confirmed my beliefs that I should of just went to the dealers and bought the badge and then built the ute around it with decent suspension, engine, clutch, gearbox etc. I do agree with the comments of all the newer 4 x 4's having softer suspension for more on road comfort to cater for the masses and I was actually planning to, reluctantly of course to upgrade the suspension because I feel that the thing floats like a boat on the road and is too soft in the arse for towing but when I read the sticker stating THAT I MUST change the springs and THAT I MUST replace the bonnet restraint if fitting a bull bar it just made me cringe. A friend recently bought a V-Max (mainly to tow a horse float) over the Navara because she reckons that the Navara's were to rough in the ride compared to the Isuzu, so how soft are they????

The recall is a crock. First I was told my truck wasnt going to get anything as its a 4x2 then they told me that I had to refit the stock suspension.
mine still hasnt been done because I couldnt be bothered wasting my time. They can check my suspension and wheels at the same time and give me my stickers

Be carefull !! I was talking to Wayne D4t at the muster and I'm sure that he told me that he took his D40 in for a factory recall to do the bonnet catch up grade . When he went to pick his car up they had taken his after market suspension off and replaced it with new stock crapp . He told them that this was better quality after market springs and shocks. and they told him that this was what they were told to do for the up grade . So he had to have the after market stuff put back in.:rant:

I refused to let them remove my after market suspension. So they just applied the recall sticker to the inside the door and fitted the 'safety strap'.

Get over it Dave, at least we didn't drive over 500km and not even get our car dirty.

That was actually a joke.

May have been 500km's, but I saw way more exciting shit then a bush track.

I do up to 1000km's a week, if I am going away. I wanna actually see something interesting.

I had more fun on the sunday with Tony, Ian and Shane then I would of "Being given direction's"

This recall seems to be a mixed bag of opinions from Nissans point of view. The foreman at the dealership said that I would have to replace the springs and fit the heavy duty bonnet restraint but I would have to pay so I rang the supervisor for some clarity because I don't believe that I should have to pay and he said that he would look into it. Sure I will upgrade the suspension to how I want it sometime in the not too distant future but I want what springs that should be there fitted so at least the ute is right until such time and if I do upgrade and then decide to sell the ute the option is there to get all the good bits back out if I wish to and set the ute back to standard. The supervisor eventually got back to me and said that no upgrade was required as all is fine with my ute because I have the alloy bar fitted. Two different stories so I rang Nissan customer service who stated that the springs and bonnet restraint must be done if the weight is greater than 55 - 60 Kg (My bar according to the manufacturers is 60Kg) but they said to try another dealer for their opinion ( I thought that was weird, its like going to your Ol Man as a kid and asking if you could do something and he replies "go and ask your mother"....Hey who's got the Balls in this situation???). Anyway I have got on to another dealer but I am waiting on a reply from their technical advisor. I am more concerned as to the bonnet restraint which should just be done regardless, at no cost to the owner.

Latest posts

Back