Cannot even fit a bull bar to D40!!! Are these a 4 x 4 or just a grocery fetcher??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the go on how Nissan see's it. My ute went in for the recall and everything was declared good explaining that the concern was mainly with the steel bull bars being too heavy and falling off and sometimes popping the bonnet. Being that mine had a nudge bar fitted at the time I mentioned that I intended fitting a bull bar in the not too distant future but was still told that everything will be fine. Now 12 months later same dealership the foreman is telling me that the springs and bonnet restraint need to be fitted and at my cost because I have fitted the bull bar ( I assuming he is meaning fitted after the recall), the same dealership but the Supervisor said that I don't need to fit anything because mine is an Aluminium bar and everything is ok. I then contacted Nissan Customer care who was of the opinion that Nissan would or should have done a mandatory upgrade of the required parts during the recall booking but then contacted another local dealer to me to hear their opinion. The other dealership then said that if I had fitted the bull bar (Genuine or non genuine) before the recall all parts would have been fitted as part of the recall but being that it has been fitted after the recall regardless of it being non genuine or even genuine all cost are paid by the customer and they are advising me to have the ute inspected. With all the different opinions going on maybe if I keep ringing around to all the dealerships I might eventually find one that will say that all upgrades will be carried out as per the recall, all at Nissans expense because Nissan does pride themselves on manufacturing and selling a reliable, safe and capable 4 x 4 of the utmost highest quality....shhhheeeiiiiutt they might even suck my.. holly molly is that the time I've got to get ready for work.

The reason you have to pay is because you made an informed choice, the reason that others have had the modifications done free is that Nissan were not aware of the problem at the time.

Also take into the account that any vehicle taken in as a part of a recall (not just Nissan vehicles) can only be assessed on what is seen at the time. No dealership is going to do a recall today on an unaffected vehicle just because at some time in the future the owner might want to modify it or tells them they will modify it. Some here were told to bring theirs back after the mods were done but I believe they were the ones who had plans in the short term and not long term so their recalls were actually just delayed and not done on the first visit. With the cost of recalls they'd be stupid to even consider replacing parts on the whim of someone saying they will change it in the future, as long as the vehicle is safe to drive in it's inspected configuration that is all that counts.

My ute got several stickers on it stating that it's had it's recall but due to the nature of the recall if at any time in the future the vehicle has any more than 55kgs added to the front end it requires the recall to be carried out in full. Sure it doesn't say on the sticker that the recall will be at my cost but expecting Nissan to do it gratis when they have already fulfilled the obligations of the recall is just being greedy and expecting something for nothing. Second hand buyers may run into this problem in the future and be up for the cost but I have no qualms about that given that I didn't need the recall for the vehicle as I wanted it.

I don't expect the manufacturer to foot the bill for this n that after I've made mods to their product that may affect how their product operates after those mods have been applied ... within reason. If my upgraded front suspension got replaced just so my bonnet didn't swing up unexpectantly I'd be ropeable and demand that it be reinstated immediately, that's why I keep a pack of cable ties in the glove box.

Most of the time you can fab up fixes that are better than the OEM stuff anyway, it's the old wire holding up the exhaust scenario, looks like crap but will last 10 times longer.

The bonnet catch up-grade is only just a steel cable with a slotted eyelet that slides over a bolt head anyway! Tell Nissan that if they supply it you will fit it? Piece of piss! It is just to stop your bonnet flying up into your face when the catch fails!!

Haha! I rather like the idea of Zaphod Beeblebrox's glasses, and Nissan just supplying the equivalent, cleverly disguised as something you'd normally see fitted to a vehicle.

Yep, the vehicle detects stress in the driver and serenely blacks out the windscreen so you can't see what's about to happen. Saves all the pre-impact panic.

BravoBrad...i think the dealer was trying to get into your pocket. I had the Nissan steel bar fitted to my D40 and the springs and bonnet bit came as part of the deal.

The problem is not just the height of the springs.
Yes it is ideal to have the car sitting flat for best handling and safety.

But, what about the shock valving? It makes a huge difference hanging 55+kg past what used to be the most forward position of the car.

As for the bonnet flying up, well cant really blame nissan for that. They never intended to have round bars infront of the car when they were testing the aero.

I bought my D40 a few months ago from a bloke who had an ARB steel bar on it, it was recalled just before I bought it for the bonnet catch issue and yes, there were changes to the suspension made as well at no charge to him. I never thought to ask WHY there was an issue with the bonnet catch and didn't realise until I read this thread that the suspension work was also related to the bullbar. Very interesting read. Thanks

I've had a read...
In 3k I'll be in for a service I have had a steel bullbar fitted to my 11 st.
My question is this: do I bring up the fact I should(should I) have this fitted (also so my truck isnt there for more then one day) or do I wait to see what they say and, potentially drive home with no changes made?

If your recall hasn't been done the dealer can not carry out any warranty work
On you're vehicle til
It's been carried put

On you're vehicle til
It's been carried put

Fatboy, i have a question that you may be able to answer for me.

My 2010 ST was delivered to me in march "11" with a steel winch bar. I had after market suspension fitted at 1000km, It has 40 000km on it now and i have been told that there is no recall on my model for the bonnet strap.

My question is, is this correct do the Thai build ST not need one?
:cheers!:
Nath

On you're vehicle til
It's been carried put

Not only that but it gives any insurance company an instant out if you try to claim, and it's not just at fault claims that may be effected by such things. Even if someone else is at fault their insurance can make it difficult if you've knowingly ignored a recall (admitting it on a forum is knowingly enough).

Hi all, been reading this thread with great interest. I have a D22 and I'm looking at changing it for a D40. I'm planning to buy second hand.

My question is, how can i tell if a heavy duty bonnet restraint/catch has been fitted? I just don't want someone to tell me porky pies when I'm not sure how I can tell visually if there has been an upgrade or not.

Cheers,

Jeff

There should be a sticker on the vehicle (possibly the A frame) and a sticker in the book stating the vehicle has had a recall. Also if it needed the strap there should be a strap hanging from the bonnet latch somewhere and you wont be able to open the bonnet without unlatching it.

Latest posts

Back