Canopy wiper

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEM49

Reaction score
Has any one fitted a wiper motor to there canopy, im sick of not being able to see out the back. I was think maybe one out of a van, with a toggle switch in the cab for both on/off and water sprayer. Im off to the wreckers this weekend, just after ideas.

It would all depend on the type of canopy because each one has windows of a different construction. I wouldn't entertain the idea myself but if I did I'd use one of the modern ones where they mount on the glass and the motor and arm are all in one small unit rather than the older style Hiace van type that mounts on the body work, but you'd have to be careful of the glass thickness to mount one of those. As to where you mount the bottle that would just be a 'where it fits' mount.

+1 - depends on the canopy. Yours might use safety glass (it ought to) which means you're not mounting the thing on the glass unless you can safely drill it - good luck with that. Replacing the window with perspex will make that easier but perspex flexes and may not like a lot of weight on it.

I think the better alternative is a drum of Rain-X. Clean window, apply every 2-4 weeks depending on location.

Its an arb one and im going to drill a hole near the light, im not going to drill the glass im going to drill the canopy

You're still going to have to make sure the hole and canopy are strong enough to handle the weight, it might seem like little weight but over time it could weaken the canopy, the construction of canopies really aren't that strong. It can be done and has been done in a few ways on different branded canopies but it's still something you are going to have to think about.

Also take note that the rear window on my ARB canopy is not flat and this may or may not effect the wipers performance.

If you do much dirt driving I would seriously reconsider if I were you. I do a few dirt road treks & have an ARB canopy. IMO modifying it as you intend will almost certainly end in tears!

The windows between the cab and tray will still be a problem, no way of getting in to clean them.

Many canopies actually have fold down front windows to clean them by hand. But even so people need to learn and trust what they see in their mirrors and dirty canopies windows wouldn't be such a huge issue. If one can't learn to trust the mirrors install a full time camera, would be cheaper and easier than a wiper motor and bottle.

Yeah , mine opens at the front but only a small child could get their arm in to clean between them, true about the mirrors thing too, my work trailer is the same height as the nav so I cant see anything out the back, but as long as you check your mirrors frequently you should always know whats going on behind you, I got in to this habit when I was younger, had to keep checking my mirrors to check if the 5-0 were monitoring my speed!

ARB or someone have a fold down front window, it's a relatively good idea because it allows you to clean both windows easily but in 3 years I've never done more than use a hose on mine so it would be wasted on me.

There is a reason many trucks have the "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you" stickers on them, it's not because they really want to know what sort of ugly fcukers are following them it's so they can keep track of what is behind them because they can't see without mirrors. Drivers of all vehicles should be taught the same technique when they go for their Weeties ticket to drive on the road, but all testers do is look to see drivers are turning their head not to see how they are using that image reflecting pieces of glass.

My last 5 4wds have all had fully blacked out tint on the back windows(to keep thieving eyes out) so looking out was not an option anyway, I honestly find no need to use anything else besides my side mirrors now. Except sometimes when pesky cyclists hang out there.

You can use the windscreen mirror to watch those in the backseat....hang on I think I'd rather watch the dirty back window than know what goes on back there some days.

Back