cape york trip in D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40-2012

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning my trip up cape york mid next year. My D40 is fully stock so I want to start getting the mods done now so it's ready in time. I'm towing a camper trailer and possibly a roof top tinny at a later date so I am after good suspension as I'm planning to go up the telegraph track, so I was thinking a 3in lift? but I wasn't sure if that's possible? Also underbody protection? snorkel and bullbar. Any advice if you have been up in your Nav Would be much appreciated!

Thanks

the first creek crossing on the telly is Palm creek, its nasty. if I didn't have underbody plates and rock sliders I would have been up for new passenger side doors and sill repairs.
2 of the vehicles traveling with us took the bypass, but that means missing half of the telly track. my mater landcruiser ute got a few scrapes on the tray aswell on that creek.
if you did a lot of shovel work and had a highly modded car you could tow a camper down there. but it could cost big damage bill.
if you bypass you can come back in just before gunshot and back track. most people with trailers were going the development road and doing day trips in to see all the action. That is probably a better/ cheaper/ safer option as its a long walk home.
have a great trip its an awesome place and highly addictive....

Thanks for the info mate. I have been up the track before in a 60 series cruiser towing a fully loaded camper. But that was near on 15yrs ago so im guessing the track has changed a bit. But there is no way I'm driving from vic and buy passing the track!

Thanks alot for the info im weighing up if I spend the coin on the navara or to get an old patrol or cruiser.

I did it in a d22 this year.

Palm creek was no problem with some common sense.

D40 will be fine with 2 inch lift, and some all terrains. Also obviously a snorkel

Your mods list is up to about $7 grand so far, I wouldn't go do the telly without my sliders, there's another$1100.
its up to you with a few mods the nav would certainly be up to it, and with care could easily tow the trailer through and would be a lot more reliable and comfortable than and older truck.
have a look on you tube. watch footage of Palm creek and nolans brook creek. these are the 2 main obstacles. Nolans can be really deep but a snatch ready just in case is the way to go.
I had the same attitude as you. I wasn't missing anything. However I did see some people in nolans with a drowned car's and a long / expensive tow and flight home that made me a bit more weary... best of luck...
Oh and a friend in another vehicle would be invaluable.

We did ott in September this year not a single issue, brother had a stock 22 with a trailer no issue. Like everything mate if your not comfortable doing a obstical take the chicken, your not there to destroy your pride and joy. I went way over board with all the mods like twin locks and the works only yo use them once the whole track but like everything better to have them available then to not have the option.

Thanks alot, this has given me confidence in the nav. We will be traveling with another family so that's a positive. Thanks again for your posts!!

Back