car wont start. fuel primer soft heelllppp!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navd22yd25cr

Reaction score
Hey guys changed the fuel filter and forgot to prime. Very very rookie mistake. As soon as i turned the key remembered.

Been trying for ages now, primer is soft.

Pulles my lines off the filter and no fuel pouring out any of the tubes.

No sure whats going on. Even cracked the lines on the motor and bled them. But primer still wont stiffen up!

Any suggestions

Could there be an air pocket between the tank and primer. Ita just not sucking fromthe tank? I can disconnect my lines and purge fuel in and it will start. But as soon as i hook my lines up to prime. Nothing the car will start and the fuel will juat go and car stop?

Lol bit annoyed atm cant figure why theres no fuel going to the primer side

The primer should eventually get the fuel up to the filter, it's got a long way to go though.

The primer should be in reasonable condition being a 2010 model.

Is there a lot of fuel in the tank?

Put a rag and an air gun from a compressor in the filler neck and pressurize the tank. You'll have fuel to the filter in seconds....

I installed a tap (ball valve) in the line that comes from the tank to stop the fuel draining back while doing a filter change, prior to that used to bend the hoses back and zip tie lightly for the same reason, just a tip for anyone reading that's not already aware.
A solution for you probably is as above ie get a compressor (I have one in my recovery gear) to the filler and it will help push the diesel up from the tank, be careful not to get a perfect seal as too much pressure may rupture something.
On my first filter change on a mates ZD30 Patrol we flattened his battery trying to prime and start repeatedly and had to re charge it overnight to get it running the next day, he was shittin bricks but I knew it would be ok eventually (fitter by trade) and still had the compressor option as he had one mounted in the Patrol.
Your plunger could be suspect but it's fairly new, mines an 03 model and still works fine so I'm not sure.

^ Tap is a good idea, mind to share some images or what the valve looks like?

What i did was tank cap with nipple. I think i already posted somewhere here, but i got the file copy link. hth.

sdmskn.jpg

14aegyf.jpg

2r4r7ua.jpg

foiryt.jpg

fresh diesel

2dsephl.jpg

Just limit pressure to less than 30psi or your plastic tank could baloon and probably crack.

Both are really great ideas. I did a filter change on the nav a while back and didnt crimp the line to stop ot flowing back to the tank. I was priming it with the bulb for a very long time.

I would like to see the valve in thenline aswell. Some people come up with simple ideas but are brilliant

Yep if there is not much fuel in the tank then sometimes it wont prime back up, another way is to use some piping(anything that fits we used an inflatable lift jack piping but been told anything will do the same just seal it with some rags) from another running cars exhaust into your fuel tank inlet with a rag and she be primed in seconds. Got shown this trick as had the same similar thing happen to me on a hilux, it worked a treat and away she went, next stop was the servo..

Last edited:
Okay guys sorry for the late reply!!!

I ended up using a boat fuel hand pump with one way valve and sucked the fuel up.... Primer weak as anything but ended up disconnected the fuel line up to the fuel rail and kept pumping with the hand pump till fuel had come out and clamped the tube and put the pipe back on.

Got a mate to pump the primer when i tried syarting it car nearly stalled but then keptes running.

Its all good now! Cheers for the advise guy. Good ideas!!

Ball valves awsome idea. Could possible add one on both sides of the filter. Did u use any sort of valve? Just a normal brass ball valve?

Ball valves awsome idea. Could possible add one on both sides of the filter. Did u use any sort of valve? Just a normal brass ball valve?

I'm sure it's just chromed brass with a sealed swivel ball, pretty basic, found it at work as we have them around for pneumatic jobs and yes I think I'll put in another on the outlet side too.

The other option apart from poking a compressor hose into the filler is pump compressed air into the return line to the tank from the rail/spill valve. Same principle but at least you can see when diesel comes out... The only issue with adding valves to the fuel lines is if they happen to leak through the valve body and suck air. It's probably not going to suck enough to cause problems, but it is another thing that could go wrong somewhere...

I know you have fixed the issue, but I thought id throw this out there.

My primer on my 06 model is rooted, so I just fill the new filter with diesel, and prime it with the new filter fully connected in a horizontal position. Works everytime.

Latest posts

Back