Caravan Towing Gear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff.stc

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new D40 ST-X 3 litre diesel auto - upgraded from a Prado.
With the auto Prado, Toyota recommended towing in 4th (5 speed auto box).

As far as I can see, Nissan do not make any recommendations in this area.

Would other experienced Navara owners be able to provide me with some advice regarding my new Navara, which has a 7 speed auto box?

I leave mine in D, with overdrive enabled, at all times.

Never have any trouble with her. The ONLY time I change that is when I'm on forest tracks with steep hills, and I change to a low gear for the downhills to assist in braking. I will put it in 4WD for slippery surfaces - we have towed our caravan through muddy tracks - but it's always in D for when I'm making the thing go.

Particularly on the highway, it's important. The Navara will lock its torque converter (80km/h or more, engine load < 50%, top gear engaged) which links the engine and gearbox 1:1 - no more slipping torque converter = same economy as a manual.

Like Tony said but also don't forget to put it in "P" for pass.

Of course that was a joke. Anybody remember the Paul Hogan Show?

Hmm maybe not.

Hey and I am a little bit jealous. Congrats on the new car.

I leave mine in D, with overdrive enabled, at all times.

Never have any trouble with her. The ONLY time I change that is when I'm on forest tracks with steep hills, and I change to a low gear for the downhills to assist in braking. I will put it in 4WD for slippery surfaces - we have towed our caravan through muddy tracks - but it's always in D for when I'm making the thing go.

Particularly on the highway, it's important. The Navara will lock its torque converter (80km/h or more, engine load < 50%, top gear engaged) which links the engine and gearbox 1:1 - no more slipping torque converter = same economy as a manual.
Thanks mate - appreciate the advice. Should help with fuel economy leaving in drive.

Like Tony said but also don't forget to put it in "P" for pass.

Of course that was a joke. Anybody remember the Paul Hogan Show?

Hmm maybe not.

Hey and I am a little bit jealous. Congrats on the new car.
Thanks Joe. Only things I have found wrong so far - turning circle is crap but I think this may be common to utes and the speedo calibration is way out - less than 10% though so I will wear that.

A nice truck!

Geoff, wifie still laughs at the turning circle. We have bets whether I can do some U turns or whether it will become a 3 point turn. Bit scary with oncoming traffic.

It should be a pleasure to tow with that V6. I find the Navara a more stable towing vehicle than our Pajero but down a bit on power with our size van by comparison. That should not be a problem for you with the V6.

Happy travels.

hi we leave it in "D" we tow a 23 foot Jayco all the time as we are on the road ..apart from having a issues from the Dpf which is going to get sorted out .. only time she comes out of D is when i come to a steeper hill i use the overdrive off button and works well :)

Thanks everyone. Seems to be the consensus to leave it in drive most of the time. Appreciate the advice!

Back