Caravans

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chartrock

Reaction score
We've been asked about boats, bikes, camper trailers, dogs, hunters etc.

I'd like to know who owns a caravan and uses their Nav mainly for towing it. What type is it, how big, where have you been or going? Are you happy with it or are there some changes you would make?

I know OldTony tows and has posted pictures and often describes where he has been or is going and I'm always interested in places to go and what is there when I get there.

Let's hear from you with pictures if possible. :rock:

I tow a Jayco Expanda14-44-3 which is a 14ft Outback with shower & toilet. It only expands out at the rear so only the two of us can go :sarcastic:

So far it has only been to Sydney and back but previous trips have been up to Karumba and down the Dinasoar Trail to Windorah.

Am planning a trip up to Townsville at the end of April for a couple of weeks and hopefully doing a 3 months trip to WA starting at the end of July.

Some pix of the van.

Attachments

• Expanda all open.jpg
    Expanda all open.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Expanda all open front.jpg
    Expanda all open front.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Expanda bed privacy screen.jpg
    Expanda bed privacy screen.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Expanda interior panorama.jpg
    Expanda interior panorama.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Expanda Shower.jpg
    Expanda Shower.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 96
I think half of my Navara's almost 52,000km (since late Oct '09) have been with the Future Systems van behind it. Pics of the outside are in my garage.

Inside it's comfortable but we've changed it a little from those below, the microwave's been upgraded and we got rid of the shower curtain, otherwise everything is as you see it below.

It will soon be getting another change. The seat you see at the rear (2nd pic) will be removed and a large sink will be installed. The sink and stove you see in the 3rd and 4th pics will be removed and a larger stove with griller and oven will be installed, the range hood will be replaced with a new one that is flued more efficiently and the microwave will be moved to on top of the fridge, with the upper cupboards being rebuilt.

Attachments

• IMG_0298-resized.jpg
    IMG_0298-resized.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0300-resized.jpg
    IMG_0300-resized.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0301-resized.jpg
    IMG_0301-resized.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0303-resized.jpg
    IMG_0303-resized.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 92
We bought our D40 ST mainly for towing & was hoping to use it at Easter for it's maiden towing voyage however I doubt that I will have the brake controller installed by then. Besides I have to replace the crappy wiring to the trailer plug done by the tow bar installer & about 1000 jobs at home.

The van is full size & no lightweight at 21' internal, 8" of chassis etc. I am nervously looking forward to see how it performs as a towing rig.

I look forward to reading the responses to you thread.

Hi chartrock

I have a Golf wind up camper It has wish bone suspension with coil over shock ( Off Road)
Have taken it through central QLD once But it usualy stays on the black top !

Golfcamper.jpg

Usual Holiday spot !!

VanBoat.jpg

I have a brake controller but I dont even notice the van on the back

Last edited:
Just saw Tony & Steve's posts & thought I would add a photo of the van.

Sorry, none attached to the Nav yet.

Attachments

• Forum Photo.jpg
    Forum Photo.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 94
We tow a Goldstream Storm RL (coil strung offroad) behind the D40 STX. When loaded up it comes in at about 1750kgs. It a bit heavy but we do a fair bit of free camping in some unusual spots which means we carry a lot of water. So far been through the Kimberly's a couple of times and nearly made it to the Mitchell falls one trip but got turned around by the Ranger. All because of a little bit of water (about a meter of it) :big_smile:

Fuel is a big issue when heading into a head wind but the D40 tows like a dream. I'm now waiting for the next trip to see how the towing goes with the new chip.

01012a.jpg

0176.jpg

IMG_0440compressed.jpg

Goldstream

Any comments to make on the Goldstream? Wife and I are about to make a call on a new Crown 4B off-road with coils and would like some comments on the product (getting too old to pull bed-ends out on the Jayco and climb into the cot all the time).

Bolke 48

I have a Jayco Expanda 16.49-3 fully non standard...it seems i am always modifying the van, ie nicknamed 'The Shack'.
So far i have replaced the chassis with a 200SHS and added 900 into the length of the drawbar and increase the load carrying ability to 3t by upgrading the suspension and rims/tyres.
I increased the drawbar length for the platform to carry a quad bike for fishing and exploring and for better weight distribution. The platform is lifted by gas struts to expose some more storage. i fabd a swing out carrier for the rear which houses a toolbox, spare wheel and satelite dish. I installed 3 extra 100l water tanks to increase water capacity to 500l. Installed on the roof is 4 solar panels for the added pleasure of free camping and no generator, which i keep in the locked toolbox just in case. Inside i have wired an inverter and 2 heavy duty batteries with usage controller and monitor to make sure everything is in order. Other mods include outdoor shower, low-amp lighting, slide out barby, custom pantry, water tap and pump on drawbar, additional kitchen bench space, fully sick stereo with surround sound for tv, foxtel, ipod, cds and a toolbox under the rear for all the poles etc. Im sure there is hundred other things i have forgotten but one thing i can tell you is that i have spent countless hours on the shack and i do it for one reason, i love it. get out and do it.
couple of pics

Cheers

Any comments to make on the Goldstream? Wife and I are about to make a call on a new Crown 4B off-road with coils and would like some comments on the product (getting too old to pull bed-ends out on the Jayco and climb into the cot all the time).

Bolke 48

Good van for offroad work. Wouldn't go Jayco or Coromal if you plan on doing some decent offroad work. They are built like tanks. Initially had some quality issues when manufactured but Goldstream paid for them to be fixed under warranty.

I'm fairly happy and would recommend them.

I have a Jayco Expanda 16.49-3 fully non standard...it seems i am always modifying the van, ie nicknamed 'The Shack'.
So far i have replaced the chassis with a 200SHS and added 900 into the length of the drawbar and increase the load carrying ability to 3t by upgrading the suspension and rims/tyres.
I increased the drawbar length for the platform to carry a quad bike for fishing and exploring and for better weight distribution. The platform is lifted by gas struts to expose some more storage. i fabd a swing out carrier for the rear which houses a toolbox, spare wheel and satelite dish. I installed 3 extra 100l water tanks to increase water capacity to 500l. Installed on the roof is 4 solar panels for the added pleasure of free camping and no generator, which i keep in the locked toolbox just in case. Inside i have wired an inverter and 2 heavy duty batteries with usage controller and monitor to make sure everything is in order. Other mods include outdoor shower, low-amp lighting, slide out barby, custom pantry, water tap and pump on drawbar, additional kitchen bench space, fully sick stereo with surround sound for tv, foxtel, ipod, cds and a toolbox under the rear for all the poles etc. Im sure there is hundred other things i have forgotten but one thing i can tell you is that i have spent countless hours on the shack and i do it for one reason, i love it. get out and do it.
couple of pics

Cheers

Been looking at one of these vans, how does the Nav go pulling it around?

We've got a 2012 Jayco Flamingo Outback. Bought just before easter. Have only used it twice so fare but love it over our old GIC piece of shit.

picture.php

picture.php

Gee!! I forgot how much the Nav has changed since easter.

We've only just got into caravaning, but its so much better than stuffing around with the camper trailer. Only drawback is we can't go offroad much with this van, but the camper is still in the shed for that. Now its not a new one, but a cute little 1976 Viscount Royal. Been doing some work on her the last few months, building new bunk beds, replacing some wood paneling etc, nice to tow.

I just have to remember next time to replace the hatch screws like I should have before we went away. I now have to build a new top hatch for the van as ours decided to leave us while cruising down the highway past Tweed Heads, luckily didn't hit anyone behind us when it flew off. Unfortunately, couldn't stop anywhere to retrieve it either. Anyway, heres some pics ---

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Cut&paste from RLI's Camper thread!

G, day folks,

I have been flat-out with my Patrol rebuild and my Jayco off-road camper trailer retro-fit of the new Cruisemaster independent coil suspension for my next trip to Cape York next August 2013.

My wife and I bought a second hand 2004 Jayco Hawk off-road camper trailer 2 years ago after conducting the following;

1. Attending various caravan/camper trailer shows
2. Reading the numerous caravan/camper trailer magazines
3. Researching the various camper trailer websites
4. Checking out a number of the manufactures premises and
5. finally speaking to people who owed camper trailers at the various caravan parks in our area.

Originally, we had a budget off between $10,000 and $15,000 dollars for your traditional box/tent type camper trailer; this changed dramatically when I looked inside a new Jayco Swan off-road camper trailer at Watson’s caravans in Coffs Harbour.

We so close to purchasing the newly released CIC Extreme Ranger Off-camper trailer it was not funny, we had negotiated the lay-out and other extras and came to a dollar value of $12,500.00, we were advised the camper would be ready in 3 weeks all we had to do that afternoon was pay a deposit.

My mate Dave paid his deposit 4 weeks before and his trailer was still not ready, that prompted me to wait and see his trailer arrive first and thank-f--k we did. When my mate was finally advised by GIC to come down to Sydney to pick-up his camper trailer they were still building the f—ker.

Late that afternoon minus no tool box fitted or side storage boxes fitted due to they had run out of those items, he returned to Coffs Harbour (not a happy chappie)

It was a further 4 weeks before the pricks finally sent them up. I then fitted them to his camper trailer; furthermore, I had to refit the slide out kitchen as it was not properly fitted. To say the least I was not overly impressed by the build quality for an $11,500 camper trailer.

After viewing the GIC and further conducting research into the Jayco off-road campers. I was chuffed when I found out that my sister-in-laws brother worked as a maintenance manager in Melbourne for Jayco. After speaking to Brad and gaining further knowledge we decided on buying a 2004 Jayco Hawk Off-road based on the following;

(a) The best built off-road models were built between 2002 and 2005 due to the larger box section steel used to build the chassis and draw bars

(b) Second hand offered us all the added luxuries and a better camper trailer than a new CIC could offer that kept my wife (handbrake happy)

(c) Extremely quick to set-up compared to the traditional off-road camper (10mins compared to 30mins plus)

(d) The resale value of the Jayco off-road campers are extraordinary (own it for five years and essentially get your money back when you sell it)

(e) They sell far quicker than any other camper trailer (check-out the various camper trailer websites and monitor Jayco off road camper trailer movements compared to other camper trailers.)

(f) Finally you get more bang for buck. We paid $15,000 for ours including battery pack, barbeque, twin gas bottles, hot water shower, boat rack, pull out awning, full annex and a generator.

We took our Jayco to Cape York 2011 June/July via the Old Telegraph Track view photos attached.

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg