Change engine oil before 10000 km?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgmd40

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've recently joined the d40 clan, bought a brand new st, which now has 980km on it. I've read around the forums that people are servicing at 5000km instead of the nissans 10,000km. With the new engine being run in should I change the oil at 5000 km just to keep it clean while still being run in? I'm not sure how it works as I've never had a brand new car, I always service my XR8 at 5000 km

It's purely a personal choice, unless you are doing 90% of your k's on dirt I would say your wasting your money doing it every 5000ks but others swear by it.

I had mine changed at the first 1,000k service. Being the free service aka check, I paid the cost of oil & filter. Peace of mind but probably just the old mindset of "running in".

It now gets done every 10,000ks and not before.

Some people would rather sell their mother to prostitution than wait until 10,000ks before changing their oil.

It probably boils down to what football team you support. :big_smile:

I thought in the service/owners manual they call for changing every 5000km? I get mine done every 10,000 by Nissan as it is a company car and I thought that was just the tight ass lease company choosing for 10k rather than 5k... looks like I was wrong there.
As I'm planning to buy the car at end of lease I'm looking after it and what I do is just a simple oil only change at 5k and then oil and filter by dealer at 10k.
Pointless... some might say so... but the oil coming out at 5k mark (Nav has done 15,000 now) is pretty crappy and black.
It's not cheap though as mine is a Series 6 ST and you need the low ash oil, so I use Penrite Enviro+ oil and its about $60 for 5ltrs
This is my first diesel and I come from various performance cars before this, in which it would always be 5k oil changes too...

The oil in a diesel will be black and crappy within about 5 minutes of it being put in there. 5K servicing is entirely an owner thing but the book lists "extreme conditions" for 5K and realistically there would be barely 5% of owners who put their utes under "extreme conditions". Back when I was driving trucks we'd push them out to 15-20K between services and they hard harsher driving conditions than most modern 4wd's get.

If you stick to the letter of the book that Enviro+ from Penrite is not actually the best rated DPF oil. It's specs do not exactly match Nissan specs and it's only recommended by Penrite as they don't make one that does match exactly. Will it harm the engine? Probably not. Will it make any difference at all? Who knows, but for those following the book to it's exact guidelines seems silly to do everything else exactly but ignore the specs on oil when there are exactly matched products out there.

Hi Krafty,
Interesting point with the oil specs (Enviro+ not being 100%)... I'll keep an eye out for next time and go different.
Cheers

Oh geez don't jump ship based on my advice alone, no one should ever take my advice I'm usually proven wrong by the "experts".

I can't remember the differences off the top of my head but the specs Penrite offer up for the Enviro+ stuff states "DPF safe" and I doubt that can be faulted, but they don't state all the specs Nissan claim are required. I also have a vague recollection of them not actually listing the Nav models correctly in their specs book, something along the line of having their DPF dates wrong.

There are other companies who make DPF oil the same as what Nissan claim is needed, I don't know what they are because my local auto shops have SFA range and Penrite and Nulon are the only two DPF choices I have, but I do know the Nulon matches the Nissan specs.

Interesting if you look at Nissan UK and the service intervals there. There were complaints that the new v6 needed shorter oil changes than the 2.5. The quoted interval for the V6 was 12,000 miles whereas the 2.5 20,000 miles!

FWIW I always changed the oil on my old 2.5 every 5,000 k . (Penrite oil and filter each time)

Have to wonder why the Australian service intervals are so much shorter?

If its a brand new car, if its 2012 plated, unless its the 3.0 v6, it hasnt got a DPF.

Heya nhb006... interesting about you saying no DPF on 2012 models?
I have a 2012 Series 6 2.5 Auto and I could not find a DPF on the exhaust (from what I could easily see anyway) and there isnt any referent to them in the owners manuals either?
Interesting...

Pretty sure you'll find the DPF's were removed sometime in 2010, I'm sure the exact answer is in these threads somewhere.

Pretty sure you'll find the DPF's were removed sometime in 2010, I'm sure the exact answer is in these threads somewhere.

Spot on for the STX!!

When they changed to the 450 the higher tune and new head meant the engine met Euro 4 specs without having to use a DPF.

The Thai built models still have them as they still run the early engine and the 550 also has them.

Once we start getting the new 2.5L Euro 5 spec engine then they will all have them.

Biggest prob is we dont know what eng oil is in the sump when we pick up our new engine....is it purpose made "running in oil" or just some cheap shite, is it good quality mineral or even Synthetic???

With that unknown.."maybe FB can enlighten us", the best would be drop the oil soon as you get home or even give the dealer your prefered oil to change before pick up...

then change again at 500k...then service/oil change at most every 10000.

Oh...and filters the same ^^

The Thai built models still have them as they still run the early engine and the 550 also has them.

Obviously I don't pay enough attention to that what don;t concern me but I was sure people have said the Thai models never had them and that the 550 was also DPF-less. No wonder there are so many DPF whingers out there now if they stuck them on so many models.

Biggest prob is we dont know what eng oil is in the sump when we pick up our new engine....is it purpose made "running in oil" or just some cheap shite, is it good quality mineral or even Synthetic???

I know there is a lot of Nissan hate around and some of it is justified but why would they even consider using anything but the exact spec oil they list in the book?

If they were putting in "run in oil" and didn't change it at 1000Ks when the offer to do the first service how high is the potential for problems?

On the other hand if they are just using some cheap shit then letting it go for the first 10K what is the potential for risk?

Surely no manufacturer is stupid enough to risk using oil other than the stuff they suggest in the book due to the possible ramifications, after all it's not like the cost would be a huge issue to them given the bulk quantities they'd buy it in at the factory.

As for filters my question is more along the lines of. If genuine filters are so important what filters are a certain Nissan dealership in regional Vic using when they service Nissan's when they are selling bulk quantities of a $5 no name filter on ebay from their dealership. If I got my car serviced west of the city I'd be checking to see whether I paid for and got genuine filters with my servicing.

Obviously I don't pay enough attention to that what don;t concern me but I was sure people have said the Thai models never had them and that the 550 was also DPF-less. No wonder there are so many DPF whingers out there now if they stuck them on so many models.

I know there is a lot of Nissan hate around and some of it is justified but why would they even consider using anything but the exact spec oil they list in the book?

If they were putting in "run in oil" and didn't change it at 1000Ks when the offer to do the first service how high is the potential for problems?

On the other hand if they are just using some cheap shit then letting it go for the first 10K what is the potential for risk?

Surely no manufacturer is stupid enough to risk using oil other than the stuff they suggest in the book due to the possible ramifications, after all it's not like the cost would be a huge issue to them given the bulk quantities they'd buy it in at the factory.

As for filters my question is more along the lines of. If genuine filters are so important what filters are a certain Nissan dealership in regional Vic using when they service Nissan's when they are selling bulk quantities of a $5 no name filter on ebay from their dealership. If I got my car serviced west of the city I'd be checking to see whether I paid for and got genuine filters with my servicing.

why were they stupid enough to put non lsd oil in a lsd diff??

the dealers dont use the "nissan recommended" oils

running in oil will last...it just doesnt have all the fancy smancy friction modifiers. but it has heaps of much better for your engine 'ZINC" additive.

Yeah but wasn't the LSD oil issue restricted to one batch of cars not an entire range therefore making it a human mistake of which we are all capable...except me.

I don't know for sure what oils they use I don't get my car serviced there but if a car needs DPF spec'd oil and they aren't using DPF spec'd oil of whatever flavour that dealership buys then they are setting themselves up for more shit than it's worth surely.

I know the oil I was offered from Nissan when I first got my car had the exact specs as written in the book, sure it had a Nissan label on it and they could have printed any specs on it but where is the advantage to changing the specs.

Yeah, but I will still go by my oil and filter change regime for my new engines as i posted a few posts ago...its not all just about I dont know what oil is in the engine from factory but also has to do with all the shit thats in a new engine floating around in the new oil thats the problem.
..engines that I personnally build get the Penrite "running in oil" or Castrol RX Super....before changing to a normal oil

Latest posts

Back