Changing from LOW RANGE

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunv8

Reaction score
Hey all,
08 Spain Manual.
Went 4wding on the weekend and had a shit of a time getting out of low range.
Is there a method to do it correctly?
I was changing from Lo to Hi, or 2wd and reversing back and it would bang like hell when it released. Most time I had to go back and forward a few times.....
Do I really need to go through that bullshit just to get out of Low?
Thanks

2wd -> 4hi can be done while moving up to 80 km/h but the front wheels have to be pointed straight.
4hi -> 4lo i always stop, take the car out of gear and off the clutch then change. No banging and changes straight away - same changing from 4lo -> 4hi I ALWAYS STOP
4hi -> 2wd sometimes i have a bit a trouble as it doesn't want to disengage straight away but ive found if i keep the car pointed straight and keep on the accelerator heading for the next gear ill flick it back to 2wd then a couple seconds later change up gear, it goes in fairly easy.

^ as above.

The general rule of thumb: change from 2HI to 4HI or back when you're moving in a straight line at anything from stopped to moderate speeds.

Change from 4HI to 4LO or back when you are stopped, in neutral*, with your foot on the clutch for manuals, brake for autos.

If the transfer case is struggling to change, it could be because the transmission is bound up. Most often happens on firm surfaces - it feels like the car has become MUCH heavier. Unbind it by either driving on a loose surface (recommended), or turning the wheel opposite to how you'd been driving when it bound up until the car feels loose again. The transfer case will fairly quickly shift once the strain is off the transmission.

* Note: you can also be in Park in an auto.

Yep, I've had the same pains getting from 4Hi to 2Hi, usually it also happens when there are people behind me waiting after I've driven off some grass somewhere.

Latest posts

Back