Changing turbo and air box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3"Nav

Reaction score
Hi all, I own a 3lt turbo str navara 2006. I'm starting to upgrage for more power and don't know what to do with the turbo. Unsure to hi-flow or able to put a bigger turbo.. Any ideas?? Also I have a standard air box wondering what people are putting on to increase airflow

I've put in a rapid chip and a hpd front mount intercooler. Wasn't sure if I can change for a bigger turbo or hi flowing is the only way. Also there's so many different types of air boxes everyone's telling my different things

chip
intercooler
exhaust
fuel lift pump
air box

air box, bigger the better. the stock one is one the small side and with a horrible entry.
the 80 series landcruiser box seams to work well, but anything of that size or bigger will do.
its not about having the biggest air filter as air filter has less restriction than the box does. ie a patrol guy fitted a smaller filter in the stock air box and it flowed better.
its all about air flowing straight into the filter, not having to do a tight turn to go through the filter. work on that principle and you can adapt something to suit.

aparently a popular mod is to use a landcruiser air filter, have a search on here for the details.
Apparently meth injection does wonders for more grunt.
Forefront turbos seem like a good thing for the money, check out his site.
sorry i couldnt be of more help, im pretty happy with just the chip and exhaust on my work pig, but thats a few leads to search up on here until someone else pipes up.

aparently a popular mod is to use a landcruiser air filter, have a search on here for the details.
Apparently meth injection does wonders for more grunt.
Forefront turbos seem like a good thing for the money, check out his site.
sorry i couldnt be of more help, im pretty happy with just the chip and exhaust on my work pig, but thats a few leads to search up on here until someone else pipes up.

EDIT, sorry, didnt see Tweakes post. listen to what he says. Man knows his sh#t.

Thanks for that. The chip does make a big difference. Just lacks abit taking it out off road. The standard turbo doesn't much with my new mods. Is the NAVARA turbo the same as a patrol..or is the patrol bigger?

Thanks for that. The chip does make a big difference. Just lacks abit taking it out off road. The standard turbo doesn't much with my new mods. Is the NAVARA turbo the same as a patrol..or is the patrol bigger?

patrol is a VNT turbo, ie variable turbo. different exhaust/inlet manifold, different air filter etc.
fitting the variable turbo on would be interesting. that would provide boost at a lower rpm. you would have to use dawes valve for turbo control. plenty of info on patrol4x4 forum on that.
theres also the possibility of using the later common rail zd30 turbo.

Looking at the forefront turbos. A lot of great reviews... The meth injections is something I'm very interstead in

alcohol injection works well.
main drawback is price/availability of alcohol and diesels can drink a lot of it.

you can use it as adding power ie squirt it in at max boost or full throttle.
or pre turbo which makes the turbo act like a bigger turbo. theres a range of pros/con of every setup. it all comes down to how you use your vehicle.

I have also heard people say a turbo from a Mitsubishi triton delica is pretty good upgrade but have never seen any evidence of which one fits and what had to be modified for it to fit in my mind it must be some sought of td04 like http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawa89-90mitsubishishogunpajeroturbo49177-01510td0412textra30torqu-1.aspx not sure about fitment but I'm sure with a billet front wheel on that it would make the Ute hoot along also not sure on exact size of current turbo on navaras if you do some more research on the kinugawa td04 I would be interested to know as I believe this to be bigger then the forefront high flowed option?

Thanks saiket. I'll get back to you about the kinugawa turbo as I'm interstead if it will fit in without much adjustments

Latest posts

Back