Cheap safari snorkel copies

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greesie

Reaction score
More of a request than a review so maybe the wrong section, but I found on eBay some snokels for d22 that look identical to the safari ones, only about 200 dollars less!! One on there for 210 delivered.
Just curious to weather they fit nice, and how they wear in the sun,
They are made of linear low density poly ethelene. Aparetnyl safari are made from a poly ethelyne too but they won't say which one,

Just thinking how hard could it really be to make a snorkel if you have a mold?

I'm in the process of getting a snorkel and have been really warned off these. From the info I got they are quite week and will fold in half easily. I also worry about the seal as this is the life line for your truck. I do like to save money though so if anyone has good reviews about these I'd love to hear it.

Mate, I'm the biggest tight ass on here and even I got a real one, just kept hearing uncertainties about the copies, quality of plastic etc. Someone even told me a real one won't crush in a rollover, yeah like if I'm upside down in a river, I'll be saying, "well shit that bloke was right - not even a scratch on the snorkel!" My genuine Nissan was I'm sure around the 320 mark with all parts for fitting and instructions. Pretty good I thought.

Haha yeah, definatly the first thing going through ya mind, yeah if there's doubt in it that they are shit I'll just pay the extra but would be nice to hear they are great haha, 320 for genuine one is good, might just look at one of them,
Cheers guys

Dude, give the thread a bump later tonight, usually more people on here then and see what everyone else reckons first...

iv got a safari snorkle myself and wouldnt go past it. a big tip though. fit it yourself so that you know how much sikaflex has gone into it so you now that it is sealed and also make sure all bolt holes and drain holes in your airbox are also sealed up aswell. doesnt take much water at all to kill a diesel engine

Cheers guys, still a way away from buying one so will keep checking this thread for any more info but at this stage leaning to just biting the bullet and getting the safari,

Thanks again for all the advice and tips,

not too sure on the d22, sure someone else could help out there but i know the d40 had a few

not too sure on the d22, sure someone else could help out there but i know the d40 had a few

Yeh didn't see any holes, only prob i had was the poly hose connecting to the airbox had foam around it. so just picked it all off and replaced it with sikaflex. I'm still too scared to take it through any water. And i am pretty sure it's sealed, if you take the ram off the top and cup the opening with my hand, the truck basically stalls. Pretty sure it is, will see one day. Gotta do my rear diff breather first i guess

Brett

if you can cup the snorkle opening and you can almost stall the car then id say you would be right, another thing would be to run the car, just let it idle and spray a hose over the joins. with the car only idling it wont be sucking enough to do any serious damage but should be enough to leave traces of water in your air box. other than that you only have real world testing lol scary i know but its the only way to know, even then theres still doubts

cheap ebay snorkles

I have just fitted an eBay snorkle from this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270746915376&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4572wt_1139

Despite other posters saying they got a decent price on genuine Nissan, the Canberra Nissan dealer quoted 460, plus fitting.

I chose this snorkle as it is LLDPE plastic, not ABS or unknown, and because it was cheap.

When it arrived, it looked the goods. There was some pitting of the plastic, looks like an average moulding job. Certainly nothing that will effect operation, just asthetics. Personally it is no problem to me. You can actually see what I am talking about in one of the close up photos on the eBay ad.
the threaded fittings are all of good quality.

The template was accurate, once you figure out where it is meant to sit. there are no instructions with the product.

Installation was a PITA. There is a single moulded piece of plastic that fits onto the original airbox and goes through the factory guard hole. This requries taking the guard off to get it through the hole.
Also, the triangle piece that connects to the original airbox was a bit malformed and needed filing out to fit over. I also had to drill a hole with a holesaw into this piece for the intake air temp sensor. I used the original rubber bung.
I would also buy some plastic guard clips, I am normally good with getting clips off, but the nissan ones were a fight, and I lost it and broke some. For $12 for replacement ones I would just tear them out. Mine were brittle and un-cooperative.

Overall I would buy it again for the cost saving. the end result is a good sealed snorkle, which looks great, for $236.

Apart from normal tools, you will need an 80mm (or slightly larger) holesaw.

The biggest leak I had was from the factory airbox rubber seal, which I have removed and replaced with some rubber of the right diameter.

Hope this helps.

Awwsome, thanks heaps for the review mate, exactly why I wanted to no, didn't want to get some flimsy thing that was warped and didn't fit or seal properly haha. Think I might go ahead and get one, the pits your talking about are they those little tiny spots where it says navara?
Cheers again

Awwsome, thanks heaps for the review mate, exactly why I wanted to no, didn't want to get some flimsy thing that was warped and didn't fit or seal properly haha. Think I might go ahead and get one, the pits your talking about are they those little tiny spots where it says navara?
Cheers again

Hi Greesie,
Exactly, they are only small, and not noticeable from very far away.
I can't comment on UV resistance, as I have only had it on for 1 day!

Please be aware of the fitment issue up to the factory airbox. This took me nearly half an hour to get to fit, with a drill and file. Thinking back I should have gotten the dremel out with a grinding bit in, which would have worked much faster.

Oh, seeing as there are no instructions, one piece of advice if you get one, drill the holes for the A-Pillar mounting bracket before doing all the bolts up on the snorkle to guard. There is not enough angle in it to do after the fact.

Cheers.

Are there many holes to look out for in the d22 airbox? im sure i didn't see any when i installed my safari snorkel.

Brett

The factory setup with the extra pre 'air spinner' or whatever it is meant to do, is as airtight as a flyscreen.

The actual airbox though has no drain holes in it, but sometimes a leaky seal around the lid. Most snorkles seem to plumb up straight to the airbox.

Cheers.

Thanks Mate, good tips, I'll let ya no when I get it and how I go putting it on, even if it takes an extra hour or two saving 200 bucks nearly pays for a bash plate:) haha

Greesie, do a search for snorkel instructions as I reckon someone was looking for them a while ago, I'll check if I've got mine but reckon I chucked them, all brands will be similar to install I would think, but close enough that would at least keep you on the right path. You have to cut put a piece of the door seal underside to fit a bracket so you don't wanna do that wrong!
Also, with the bashplate did ya see the bloke who put up dimensions fir the folds etc? Might help you make your own.
Cheers

Yeh saw the guy with bash plate dimensions, looks good and pretty cheap to so might think bout getting one bent up.
Will do a search for instructions easier, seem to remember reading a snorkel install guide somewere so hopefully can find that again,

Cheers

If you need the snorkel instructions, I asked before I got mine and no one had their's so I kept mine. PM me if you want them and I can email them to you.

Latest posts

Back