Choosing a Long Range Fuel Tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete22

Reaction score
Just thought I'd put it out there for all to think about when buying a long range fuel tank. I originally installed an Opposite Lock 160 ltr steel tank. This is an excellent looking tank that appears to be very well made....and it is...on the surface. Unfortunately as many of you would know I've had a bit of bad luck with water contaminated fuel and this continues to cause me problems. I recently found dark particulate matter in my Water Watch bowl and this has been confirmed as rust. The tank has been removed and the advice I have is that the rust is so bad internally (baffles and all) that I should toss it. I've accepted the advice and will be fitting an aluminised steel tank from Long Range Automotive this time around as they apparently are among the best for not rusting internally.
BTW...the OL tank is only 3.5 years old but is ....."sorry sir out of warranty".

Last edited:
That's pretty average Pete.
Have you ever looked at any of the poly tanks around?? They're much cheaper than steel and obviously won't rust.
I'm a fan of poly jerry cans myself, mainly for the fault tolerance and ease of moving reasons. I can stack, I think it's, 7 across of the back of the tray.

That's pretty average Pete.
Have you ever looked at any of the poly tanks around?? They're much cheaper than steel and obviously won't rust.
I'm a fan of poly jerry cans myself, mainly for the fault tolerance and ease of moving reasons. I can stack, I think it's, 7 across of the back of the tray.

I tossed the original poly tank so I could fit a large (double the capacity) tank. My ute is totally built out in the back an there is no room to carry jerries. I didn't like the aux type tanks that Long Ranger make (sold through ARB) so went with the big OL tank. The new aluminised steel tank will do the job I hope.

Hey Pete, sorry to hear of your badluck with the OL tank. I too considered there tanks mainly for it having max capacity available for this model d22. But made a final decision on a Arb tank which is the Long Ranger tank and have never looked back. I've had the car sitting on it and it is hardly marked. Hope you get a good response for longer ranger cause they are worth it. I am wanting to remove the spare wheel and install an extra tank in the space to again add more capacity

I am lucky, I've got a tray back king cab and have put poly tanks under it for water & diesel. Works really well.

I'm a fan of poly jerry cans myself, mainly for the fault tolerance and ease of moving reasons.

i agree
long range tanks are way too expensive
3 x polly jerry cans do the job better
if you have the room

I went the Long Ranger myself, but I also have 4 jerry cans that I will drop in the tub to supplement that for long-distance runs - a total of 230L of diesel, which should give me about 2200km not towing, or 1400-odd km towing the van.

I'm quite happy with the Long Ranger. It's still fairly new, so I don't suspect any rust yet. It's something I'll have to start keeping an eye on.

I have a Long Range Automotive 150 litre tank in my STX and have had no problems at all it was fitted August 2007 and yes there a nice tank

Long ranger are the ones i have heard the best things about.

Yeah they have a good rep but unfortunately for the D40 they only make an auxiliary tank that is installed above the spare wheel. Long Range Automotive on the other hand make a 150 ltr tank that replaces the OEM tank. Both these manufacturers use aluminised steel for their tanks.

Hey Pete i had the opposite lock 160l tank fitted about 12 months ago. i think they are made by outback in SA?... They might of changed because i am sure mine is aluminized as some of the black paint has flaked off but no rust just shinny metal... I chose this tank as it was the only replacment tank at the time that dident use the straps to hold it in. as i have seen a log get caught on the straps and demolish the tank...

Hey Pete i had the opposite lock 160l tank fitted about 12 months ago. i think they are made by outback in SA?... They might of changed because i am sure mine is aluminized as some of the black paint has flaked off but no rust just shinny metal... I chose this tank as it was the only replacment tank at the time that dident use the straps to hold it in. as i have seen a log get caught on the straps and demolish the tank...

Yeah can't fault the design and mounting and I've definitely no rust on the outside but the rust inside the tank is something else. Mine is definitely not aluminised steel - just painted on the outside and I don't really know what the original coating on the inside was....if any. Some rust material is so fine it will go though the fuel filter and the potential for damage is too much of a risk for me.

Yeah they have a good rep but unfortunately for the D40 they only make an auxiliary tank that is installed above the spare wheel. Long Range Automotive on the other hand make a 150 ltr tank that replaces the OEM tank. Both these manufacturers use aluminised steel for their tanks.

They fitted the auxiliary tank behind my factory tank, leaving the factory tank in place. You can't miss seeing the tank under the wheel arch (now that the back of the car is 85mm higher thanks to the Dakar springs). Nothing else had to move or was impeded by the tank. Are we talking about the Long Ranger made by Out Of Town 4WD and distributed through ARB?

They fitted the auxiliary tank behind my factory tank, leaving the factory tank in place. You can't miss seeing the tank under the wheel arch (now that the back of the car is 85mm higher thanks to the Dakar springs). Nothing else had to move or was impeded by the tank. Are we talking about the Long Ranger made by Out Of Town 4WD and distributed through ARB?

Yeah Tony that requires the OEM tank to be in place....I no longer have that tank - haven't since my D40was 2 week old...so I have to fit a replacement tank. The one I've chosen is this one: http://www.longrangeautomotive.com....112-navara-2005-d40-diesel.html?pop=0&sef=hfp

Pete22 I have the brown davis 143lt fuel tank although its not aluminum it has aluminum coating on it? they are suppose to be good I guess time will tell.
Cheers Lyle

I have a longranger tank in mine.

Done about 180,000km's since and never had a drama. Got a few marks on it from offroad, but still fine.

Just thought I'd put it out there for all to think about when buying a long range fuel tank. I originally installed an Opposite Lock 160 ltr steel tank. This is an excellent looking tank that appears to be very well made....and it is...on the surface. Unfortunately as many of you would know I've had a bit of bad luck with water contaminated fuel and this continues to cause me problems. I recently found dark particulate matter in my Water Watch bowl and this has been confirmed as rust. The tank has been removed and the advice I have is that the rust is so bad internally (baffles and all) that I should toss it. I've accepted the advice and will be fitting an aluminised steel tank from Long Range Automotive this time around as they apparently are among the best for not rusting internally.
BTW...the OL tank is only 3.5 years old but is ....."sorry sir out of warranty".

the LR tanks although aluminised do not have any protection of the welds..so as soon as water enters the tank these will rust too....

Latest posts

Back