Clicking noise when in 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
I put my ute in 4wd the other day and when i accelerate there is a clicking noise come from the left front around the wheel some where. As i sped up a little it got faster. Then took it out of 4wd and no noise. Been about two weeks now and no noise at all in 2wd. I asked my mechanic to have a look and he said its the wheel bearing. Any thoughts what it is? Because im sick of paying mechanics to fix things with what they say and you still the problem.

Since it's a D22 it'll have manual locking hubs, I'm not sure if they tick if they're not engaged properly (anyone?) but I really doubt it's wheel bearings, because the bearings support the wheel's rotation regardless of the transmission mode. The CVs are only engaged if the hubs are locked OR the transmission is in a 4WD mode.

If you put the vehicle in 2WD mode, and lock the hubs, do you hear the noise? Doing this will force the hubs to turn over the front axles and diff.

Since it's a D22 it'll have manual locking hubs, I'm not sure if they tick if they're not engaged properly (anyone?) but I really doubt it's wheel bearings, because the bearings support the wheel's rotation regardless of the transmission mode. The CVs are only engaged if the hubs are locked OR the transmission is in a 4WD mode.

If you put the vehicle in 2WD mode, and lock the hubs, do you hear the noise? Doing this will force the hubs to turn over the front axles and diff.

Um from memory i only took it out of 4wd without unlocking the hubs till a bit later and there was no noise in 2wd with the hubs locked. So it sounds as it is the CV. That really pisses me off because my mechanic assured me it was the bearing and not the CV or anything else:mad:

I'd be after another opinion as well. It may not be the CVs if everything is quiet while the hubs are engaged. Engaging the hubs will make the CVs work so I'm not confident that they're the ones making the noise - it is crucial to get another mechanic to take a look at it.

My guess is locking hubs. If they are worn they will slip and make a clicking noise.

Alright anyone please help. The noise is still there on the left hand front after a lot of work but ill say its more of a clunk than a click. Sorry for the wrong description. Ill do my best to explain. It only makes the noise when its under load in 4wd. Like if you make it work hard or hold your foot on the brake wile letting it drive. It clunks say every metre of driving or so. Ive changed the bearings and cv. The mechanic changed the hubs off his d22 onto mine and also swapped my left and right ones over but no good. They found a broken torsion bar but still no good once fixed. I think they changed the uni shaft? or some thing like that but no good. And they also had a look in the diff and they recon it looks fine. So if anyone has any idea on what it possibly could be please let me no. Or any tips anything really.

Your tyres have just over 2.6m circumference and the spider assembly in your CV is a tripod joint, so it would mean if that is the cause, it'll make the noise for every (about) 900mm - close to your observation.

Your tyres have just over 2.6m circumference and the spider assembly in your CV is a tripod joint, so it would mean if that is the cause, it'll make the noise for every (about) 900mm - close to your observation.

Wow tony you are a very clever and knowledgeable man. After doing a lot of googling tonight and searching this site i recon its a stretched transfer chain. There is a youtube video of a navara with the same noise as mine. How do you know for sure if its a tranfer chain?

I just had a look in the manual and checked your garage for the tyre size you're using.

I didn't think the chain would make the noise with that regularity, it would be more based on how much force is surging and waning causing the chain to tighten and relax.

By the looks of the transfer case diagram, there's an oil filler on the rear of the case and there is probably some means of checking the chain by removing that. There are no other obvious inspection methods and the oil filler plug would appear to be located above the middle of the space between the chain. I guess putting the vehicle into 4WD and rotating the front drive shift anticlockwise (looking from the transfer case towards the front of the vehicle) will cause the upper section of chain to droop, and you'd be able to tell how much slack was in the chain. Other than that, I'd say disassembly is required.

Back