Clutch noise?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chule

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm trying to pin point a new noise the old girl has developed over the last week. I'm suspecting worn clutch plates or throw out bearing. Upon taking off from a stop at the end of the clutch "take up" I'm getting a squeak/squeal noise for about 2or 3 revolutions. It only happens on a lazy take off. If I accelerate hard from dead stop there's no noise. No clutch slippage or noises once I'm in motion either.

Nav is an '03 ZD30 with 245k still on original clutch.

All advice appreciated - cheers.

Sounds exactly the same as when the throw out bearing started to go on my Valiant hardtop years ago, eventually it seized, heated the pressure plate fingers and munted the pressure plate and of course then the clutch plate failed. Worked all this out after the clutch failed, it happened over a fairly short period.

Cheers mate. Been speaking to a few clutch places and thats exactly their diagnosis as well..... And yes the noise is getting louder and more frequent.

Time for a new clutch by the sounds of it.

Last edited:
245,000km is pretty good value from the stock clutch, a good friend of mine had 328,000km on the original clutch in his ZD30 GU Pootrol when he traded it, I'm thinking the genuine Nissan clutch/pressure plate sets from this era (2000 - 2005) were pretty good, mine (2003) has 183,000km on it and feels/works great, I hope to get the k's you got except my young bloke on his L plates might see an early end to it.

Well done getting those high kms from the factory clutch,it has served you well.

Very true! I don't generally carry a lot of weight or tow a trailer & try to be kind to it out on the trails.

I've had a couple of quotes - for a standard clutch, machined fly wheel and new rear main seal I'm looking at about $1100. Another $400-$500 to go heavy duty.
Sound fair?

Latest posts

Back