Clutch under warranty

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofx

Reaction score
Hi all

Just thought I'd relate a recent experience, its a long post so bear with me. Vehicle is a 2012 D22 with 33000 ks, had it since new. Was camping in Sundown National Park a few weeks ago and the clutch shat itself. Seemed fine on the way in to the park, went for a bit of a drive on the tracks one day and said to the missus something doesn't feel right but couldn't put my finger on what it was, packed up and left the next day and after the first pull up to the ridge from the river valley worked out that the clutch was going. Then babied it as far as I could and had to get skull dragged out the last 4 ks.

Car arrived at dealership on tilt tray and admin lady said "Nissan don't cover clutches under warranty". I said that I expected this conversation and told her that I'd only ever owned a manual vehicle for 20 years, 15 of those a 4WD and never had to replace a clutch (put 150000 on my old troopy). She said she would approach Nissan with my story. She called back and said that Nissan wouldn't replace it. I then called Nissan Australia myself and told them the same story. They said "we might replace it as a one off gesture out of goodwill". I asked what that meant; would they or wouldn't they? He responded that given it only has 33000 ks on it "Nissan would likely assist in some way". I said, "I'll take that".

Upshot is, Nissan did replace it and it didn't cost me anything. My thoughts are that Nissan must know there is a problem and are replacing them free of charge if you push the issue, because if they could get out of it without paying, surely they would? Have since heard a number of stories about premature wear of clutches in both Nissans (story tellers didn't know what type of Navara) and Hiluxes. Woman at the dealership said I must be the luckiest bloke in Australia as Nissan just don't do that.

Nissan were doing it for the D40s because they had dual mass flywheels that were cooking the clutches. Nissan acknowledged that the DMFs were responsible - making it a design flaw - I wouldn't call it a fault, but maybe an error in judgement because DMFs are quite valid in a small, light vehicle. Unfortunately in the heavier car, the face of the flywheel that meets the clutch would heat up under high loads (eg hill starts when towing) and because it was unable to shed the heat, it just cooked the clutch.

Interesting. Woman at dealership said that mine was DMF. Bloke on phone from Nissan said that there was a breakpoint in 2012 D22 where they went from SMF to DMF, but without checking details didn't know what type mine was. Invoice I received after job was done said they machined the fly wheel. Can a DMF be machined?

Your unlucky in the respect that it obviously failed so early and lucky that Nissan replaced it. It's rare to hear of premature failure in those models as far as I know nothing has changed. Mine 2011 is near 80k and tows 90% of the time, the clutch feels and performs as new. The clutch is classed as a wearing item (like brake pads) and this is why it's such a touchy subject with regard to warranty. Glad you got it replaced without a struggle.

If you were ever to consider machining a dual mass flywheel, you'd only ever consider polishing it. The contact face on a DMF is rather thin, which is what creates the heat problems when put under load.

I'd love to hear from someone with a late 2012 to 2013 D22 who's actually pulled their clutch out and inspected the flywheel. I didn't think they put DMFs in the D22s at all.

As for whether they actually machined the DMF ... I've just read through a couple of forums (Commodore, BMW, Corvette) and the general advice there is that you do NOT resurface, at best you can lightly sand it. However, it can apparently be done:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzEaPpGSXU4[/YT]

Latest posts

Back