Colarado v Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4.0lt

Reaction score
Sales pitch Holden salesman tell`s mate that Colarado towing capicity stay`s the same if loaded with a ton and that Navara towing falls with the same load but a Navara can`t take a ton. Question is this correct or a porky pie?

I thought the Nav was only able to handle 850kg but I could be wrong.

As for the weight in the back effecting the total towing load, it's true of all cars but it's not often spoken about. Just about everything effects the load limits from changing the tyres, rims and shocks even to having an auto gearbox if you read some of the technical data. But as to where you'll find that documented I'm not sure.

Porky pie.

Towing capacity is not legally affected by the payload on the vehicle itself. There is a figure - Gross Combination Mass, which is the towing capacity plus the Gross Vehicle Mass. Since the Gross Vehicle Mass includes the payload plus the tare mass of the vehicle, towing capacity is unaffected.

My Navara can only take 810Kg or something like that, and this capacity is further reduced because I have a canopy, bullbar, winch and a few too many big mac meals under the belt.

Simple fact:

The weight of the towed vehicle DOES affect the weight of the vehicle towing it, because you're supposed to add the ball weight of the towed vehicle to the CARRIED weight of the towing vehicle. Look at my rig:

2500Kg kerb weight. Van = 1800Kg, so the ball weight = 180Kg. Add that to the 2500kg and I've got a VEHICLE weight of 2680Kg, with a max weight of 2980Kg the best I can add to my tub is 300Kg. Now if that's 300Kg of bikini-clad babe then let Dave know in a hurry. If it's 300Kg of Jack Daniels you better not let Dave see you.

The other factor is the GCM - Gross Combination Mass. On the Navara, that's 5980Kg, which is 2980Kg of Navara and 3,000Kg behind it. With 3,000Kg behind your ball weight should actually be about 230-250Kg (let's use 250Kg) so on my car, 2500+250 = 2750, and that means I can only put another 230Kg on board before I exceed the Navara's weight limit.

There are some that would argue that the ball weight is irrelevant - but for my money, that weight actually exists and I wouldn't put it past an insurance company to refuse paying out because it wasn't taken into consideration.

Best bet is to err on the side of caution. The Holden dealer was probably just trying to rag on the Navara because the Colorado isn't as well appointed inside the cabin. Simple fact: you can tow 3T with both.

About the Colorado: It's a 1872Kg (new, empty) unit with a GVM of 2900Kg (80Kg less than the D40). Its 3L engine outputs 120Kw (8Kw less than mine, and 20Kw less than the 2010 D40). It has less torque than the D40 (360Nm vs 402Nm in the 2009 D40). Put simply, it's not as powerful.

If you add a canopy, bull bar, winch and other stuff into the Colorado, you take that OUT of its capacity. Without those added - let's try a bare-bones Colorado - if you add 1T to the tub and 3T in behind it the GCM is 5872Kg. The GCM limit of the Diesel 4x4 Colorado is 5900Kg, and the other Colorado models it's only 5300Kg.

Side by side, the Navara beats the Colorado.

Thanks for explaining that Tony, I will inform my mate.
By the way you wouldn`t see the bikini on a 300kg babe!

My Navara can only take 810Kg or something like that, and this capacity is further reduced because I have a canopy, bullbar, winch and a few too many big mac meals under the belt.

Simple fact:

The weight of the towed vehicle DOES affect the weight of the vehicle towing it, because you're supposed to add the ball weight of the towed vehicle to the CARRIED weight of the towing vehicle. Look at my rig:

2500Kg kerb weight. Van = 1800Kg, so the ball weight = 180Kg. Add that to the 2500kg and I've got a VEHICLE weight of 2680Kg, with a max weight of 2980Kg the best I can add to my tub is 300Kg. Now if that's 300Kg of bikini-clad babe then let Dave know in a hurry. If it's 300Kg of Jack Daniels you better not let Dave see you.

The other factor is the GCM - Gross Combination Mass. On the Navara, that's 5980Kg, which is 2980Kg of Navara and 3,000Kg behind it. With 3,000Kg behind your ball weight should actually be about 230-250Kg (let's use 250Kg) so on my car, 2500+250 = 2750, and that means I can only put another 230Kg on board before I exceed the Navara's weight limit.

There are some that would argue that the ball weight is irrelevant - but for my money, that weight actually exists and I wouldn't put it past an insurance company to refuse paying out because it wasn't taken into consideration.

Best bet is to err on the side of caution. The Holden dealer was probably just trying to rag on the Navara because the Colorado isn't as well appointed inside the cabin. Simple fact: you can tow 3T with both.

About the Colorado: It's a 1872Kg (new, empty) unit with a GVM of 2900Kg (80Kg less than the D40). Its 3L engine outputs 120Kw (8Kw less than mine, and 20Kw less than the 2010 D40). It has less torque than the D40 (360Nm vs 402Nm in the 2009 D40). Put simply, it's not as powerful.

If you add a canopy, bull bar, winch and other stuff into the Colorado, you take that OUT of its capacity. Without those added - let's try a bare-bones Colorado - if you add 1T to the tub and 3T in behind it the GCM is 5872Kg. The GCM limit of the Diesel 4x4 Colorado is 5900Kg, and the other Colorado models it's only 5300Kg.

G,day "Guru Young Tony"!

Mate your are a walking encyclopedia. Its people like you that make this forum fantastic!

I salute you!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

My mate has a Colorado, he's a plumber & its loaded right up, close to its max GVM i'd say and he gets 7litres/100km around town, bloody impressive

My mate has a Colorado, he's a plumber & its loaded right up, close to its max GVM i'd say and he gets 7litres/100km around town, bloody impressive

Those are really really impressive figures......but just to clarify is that a diesel measurement or a beers per 100km for your plumber mate :big_smile:

It's true, I have friends with the Colorado. They are cheeeeeap to run. If you like ZERO, ZILTCH, NOTHING to look forward to when you step into the cab. N nobody wants em 2nd hand. Almost look good though, I mean almost.

a little off topic but a often wonder when you see patrol with every accessory under the sun hanging off it how far off being over weight it really is!! then they go and tow a huge camper as well!!!

bryan

It happens to all vehicles. Our cattle trailer is 4 tonne rated (2.7 load weight I think it is) and I've had anything from 500kgs to 2.5 tonne of moving beast(s) in the back. There would be plenty of others out there who wouldn't even know about limits etc.

I think the only time they actually pay attention to the limits is when the insurance assessor is poking away at it. And that's when it's far, far too late to do anything to make it right.

a little off topic but a often wonder when you see patrol with every accessory under the sun hanging off it how far off being over weight it really is!! then they go and tow a huge camper as well!!!

bryan

Just on the particular issue of towing a camper Bryan....I believe, and I could be wrong here, that the towed weight only comes into calculation in two situations....the first is that the ball download weight must be added to the GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) and the second is that the trailer weight is taken into account fully in when calculating GCM (Gross Combined Mass). Can be a bit of a nightmare for young and old players alike and like Tony points out the real problem arises only when the insurance companies are looking for a way out of paying.......also if there has been a serious injury or death the coppers doing the crash investigation will look very closely at weight issues.

Simple fact:

Ill take the JD, but Ill have to borrow a forklift to unload the big rig bikini girl. Ill meet you at Sea World Tony to unload her.

I am sure they can fit another whale in there tanks.

After all that JD you wont care how big the bikini babe is Dave you'll be stick to her like flies on s&^t

AZnother factor people forget with the 1 ton payload in utes or in most cases lees these days that that load has to also include driver fuel passengers accessories and what ever else is added to the vechile once it leaves the factory..

So put for people in the duel cab lets say 400kg and 70 litres fuel you can now only put half a ton in the tray...

Latest posts

Back