Cold Startup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter647

Reaction score
hi guys forst new car ive ever owned and was wondering when starting should you warm it up for a few minutes before driveing. I usually put the heat button for a few minutes. If i dont warm up first its like you can hear the tappets loud until its warm. Is this normal.

If you have the patience then a little warm up time certainly wont hurt. I personally dont bother, I just drive nice and easy for the first 10 mins.

The noise your hearing is most likely the injectors/diesel rattle. CRD's do make a hell of a racket when they are cold.

If you have the patience then a little warm up time certainly wont hurt. I personally dont bother, I just drive nice and easy for the first 10 mins.

The noise your hearing is most likely the injectors/diesel rattle. CRD's do make a hell of a racket when they are cold.

Thanks for that ,just peace of mind.

+1 for Leprechaun's advice. They are noisy beasts, mine is particularly noisy around 2,000rpm when cold.

Take it easy until the gauge starts to show some heat and you'll be fine. These diesels don't warm up fast unless they're working.

+1 for Leprechaun's advice. They are noisy beasts, mine is particularly noisy around 2,000rpm when cold.

Take it easy until the gauge starts to show some heat and you'll be fine. These diesels don't warm up fast unless they're working.

These cold mornings i leave the heat button on for a few minutes but they do tend to take a while to heat up.

Whilst we were away in the high country for the weekend, i had the D40 running for about 20 minutes before we took off. Even then the heater was not working until i had been driving for about 5 minutes. But it gave me piece of mind anyhow. (we had at least 0degrees or colder each night)

BUT
when at home, i just start the car and start to drive (slowly) until it warms up - which means i'm usually at the office before the heater is really starting to work nicely.

I usually warm it up on cold mornings, but living in a frost zone means usally takes about 5-10 minutes to clear the windows of ice.

Mine is also very noisy when cold. i dont warm it up. Just drive slowly with low boost levels until warm.

Latest posts

Back