Currawong Run

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There shouldn't be ANY bikes there, they aren't allowed in there. But I'm not taking my Barret XM107A with me, so they're safe.

I'll change the first post to reflect the 9th. Don't want to do this on the long weekend at all!

We went and camped at Telegherry this weekend (attachment 1). Nice place, it was fairly quiet too. Had plenty of time to relax and ponder our Christmas trip this year.

I went for a walk towards Currawong and took a pic of the start of the trail (attachment 2). It looked decidely less muddy than last time.

When I approached the bend to the steep bank into the river I was shocked. I was walking on a nicely graded, smoothened bank that gradually lowered to the water (attachment 3). It's no longer anything close to worrisome. You could get to the water's edge in a mini minor.

The water crossing has been changed. There are now rocks all the way across and the water is barely 5cm deep (attachment 4).

Seems some courageous 4WDer couldn't cope with a steep muddy slope and 30cm of water and now we're left with a nice paved path and a puddle to cross. I half expected to see bloody solar garden lights along it too.

We are still going, but the excitement isn't there, it's a very easy crossing with no chance of slipping anywhere.

If anyone knows a decent track that has some decent crossings in striking distance of Sydney/Newcastle, let us know!

Attachments

• 01 - Camped at Telegherry.jpg
    01 - Camped at Telegherry.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 106
  • 02 - 4WD Track to Currawong.jpg
    02 - 4WD Track to Currawong.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 03 - Approach to River Crossing.jpg
    03 - Approach to River Crossing.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 04 - River Crossing.jpg
    04 - River Crossing.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 175
Not yet Craig, could it be a fun track we might want to visit?

A small amount of challenge, which represents no danger if done properly, is good for the soul. I'm sure Anthony and Nick would enjoy that.

If something goes awry, we've got recovery gear to get them out. Where's this track at?

I know of a place I dont think a standard height D40 wont go, its low range first into the area where the creek is.

Dave.

Dave, we will have to try that together one day and see. If the worst happens, I've got some recovery gear that ought to get us out of trouble! Let me know when you want to do it. We'll take some pics and see if the guys are interested!

Okay, onto the Currawong run - for those leaving Sydney or Newcastle, we could meet up at Heatherbrae again, just on the north side of the Shell servo on the side of the road. There are U-turn bays to let you get up to McDonalds for a coffee and come back to where we'll meet up. If we leave there at about 8:30 we should be in Dungog for 10:00am.

An easy route to Dungog from the south: Drive up through Hexham/Heatherbrae and turn off to Raymond Terrace. Stay on this road until you see McDonalds, turn left and go over the Williams River bridge. Stay on this road right through to Seaham, and at the T intersection turn right and that road heads straight into Dungog. Follow the signs to the shopping centre and at the white obelisk (it's in the middle of the main street at the north end of town) turn left.

If you're coming from the north coast - head to Gloucester, turn south to the town of Stroud Road (not Stroud). Just south of here is a right turn onto "Stroud Hill Rd" or "Stroud Dungog Rd" - it'll be signposted, Washpool is up this road. Just stay on this road and you'll cross a bridge into Dungog, turn RIGHT at the obelisk and stop just past the bus depot on the left side.

Nothing that I can think of, Friday night a few drinks is on the cards.

Ill only be out till 12am at the latest though, not going to any clubs.

Dave.

It's a long weekend too. Pick a day. We're just working around the house, Saturday/Sunday might be better and leave Monday as a rest day. When and where you want to meet up?

Sunday works for me.

To head to Lostock you gotta pass through Gresford so wherever up this way.

Dave.

I think the road from Branxton beats the shit out of the bone-pounding collection of potholes that Dungog call a road. I think we'll go that way, want to meet around Branxton on Sunday morning some time?

Latest posts

Back