Currawong Run

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries. We could probably meet up by the lake near the Private Trszcinksi bridge on the highway. Plenty of room for parking there too.

If anyone else is feeling really adventurous, watch this space. Might need to do a recovery on this one - my D40 is a little low in the tail. I will probably mount the hitch receiver block before we head out so half the job's done already!

The Currawong Run is still on guys - despite the change in the river, we might still have some enjoyment up there. We'll still need 4WD to get through despite the shallow water.

My wife and I know the road from Newcastle to Dungog well - the best route is through Raymond Terrance, Seaham, Clarence Town and into Dungog. This last Saturday we checked the route in from Gloucester ...

From Gloucester head south and drive through Stroud Road - on the south side of the town there's a little shop that advertises "The Best Steak Sandwich in NSW" or something like that. It might be true, I don't know. After passing through here, you'll see a turn to Dungog about 3km further south - you'll come up and over a hill, pass Daunts Rd on the left and then watch for the sign (it's quite clear). Turn right onto "Stroud Hill Rd". You should shortly see a sign saying you're in Washpool (it's a small sign) - if you see this, you're on the right road. Just keep on driving.

As you get into Dungog you'll go past the new power substation, over a wooden bridge and into town. As you swing around the left hand bend to see the town in front of you you'll see the white obelisk smack in the middle of the road - this is where you will turn RIGHT.

Those of us coming from Newcastle/Sydney will turn LEFT at that obelisk.

As soon as you turn, you will be in sight of where we're meeting on the side of the road. If nobody is there, don't panic, we're not leaving until 10:00am.

If you arrive AFTER 10:00am, continue along this road. At the top of the hill is a small general store/servo, follow the road around to the right and just keep on driving, don't turn off. The road will take you straight to Chichester Dam which is our first stop.

If you're VERY late, you could bypass the dam and head into the forest - Wangat Trig Rd - it's clearly signposted. Follow the signs to "Frying Pan Creek" but when you cross the first (and only) water crossing on the main road, look to the right - there's an entry into a narrow path, take this and follow it to its end - across another water crossing and into Currawong Campground.

Last edited:
For those coming from Newcastle/Sydney, we'll again be leaving Heatherbrae at 8:30am.

We hope to get there at about 8am and we will wait until 8:30.

If you are coming our way, we'll be stopped immediately north of the Shell servo on the left (northbound) side of the road.

Don't forget to use UHF channel 15. Once in the forest, I'll have another radio on channel 24, which is the frequency the logging trucks use - and they've been active in the forest recently, so we might meet up with them.

Because there are a lot of logging trucks in there, there's a lot of dusty road. We kicked up a fierce cloud of dust when we went through there. I would recommend that un-snorkelled vehicles go first, then snorkelled D22s, and finally snorkelled D40s (because we also have pollen filters on our A/C). Keep a little distance between us and use the radios and we'll enjoy the trip a lot more.

Naturally if it's wet it won't be a drama. Here's hoping for a little mud!

Just so everyone knows - we're going into State Forests territory, and NOT National Parks & Wildlife Services.

That means if you have a dog, you can bring it with you as long as it is on a leash.

I cant make this one guys. I have to work and cant put the client off again. Looking forward to the next one. Dont forget to post up some photos and have fun!

Shaun

Will keep a watch on the thread for willow tree. Ill try not to work to hard doing dirty renovations. Should be a fun filled day...not

Have fun!

Shaun

We had fun too. A few pics for everyone ...

1) Me crossing the Telegherry River ford.

2) Craig crossing the Telegherry River ford.

3) Craig crossing back from Currawong. The water was deeper than it looked.

4) Craig ploughing through some mud we found. Was a small side track that looked like it went nowhere but we had a little fun.

5) Stopped at Chichester Dam. You get to drive straight past the dam wall and down to several picnic areas.

The next run is a day drive up through Merriwa to Willow Tree.

Attachments

• 01 - Telegherry Fording - Us.jpg
    01 - Telegherry Fording - Us.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 02 - Telegherry Fording - Craig.jpg
    02 - Telegherry Fording - Craig.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 03 - Currawong Fording.jpg
    03 - Currawong Fording.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,562
  • 04 - Muddy Track.jpg
    04 - Muddy Track.jpg