D21 improvements

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Fellas. Great site for a newbie Navara owner. Had my 1986 D21 Z24 "POWERED" 4X4 Dual cab for about 6 months now and i have a couple of questions if i may

1) The donk is a little sad, not too bad but it is sad. I dont think the vehicle warrants spending big bucks on, but its going to be around for a while. So i ask, is it possible to get a fresh Z24 to perform ok without spending big bucks. Does anyone know of any "CHEAP" tricks to get a bit extra out of these old motors. A mate will do a basic rebuild for cost plus beer so that parts easy.

2) I wish to mount my Ramsey RE8000 winch on the front. Has anyone built a winch mount without a full bull bar for one of these trucks before, any tips ??

Thanks heaps for providing a forum for Navara owners. They are an often overlooked old truck, only bought one because i found it cheap on Ebay and figured i could not go wrong for $1500 for a running vehicle. 4 Tyres, 4 Shocks, a steering wheel, a set of points and some front suspension "adjustment" later it was on the road and i love it....

Hi Fellas. Great site for a newbie Navara owner. Had my 1986 D21 Z24 "POWERED" 4X4 Dual cab for about 6 months now and i have a couple of questions if i may

1) The donk is a little sad, not too bad but it is sad. I dont think the vehicle warrants spending big bucks on, but its going to be around for a while. So i ask, is it possible to get a fresh Z24 to perform ok without spending big bucks. Does anyone know of any "CHEAP" tricks to get a bit extra out of these old motors. A mate will do a basic rebuild for cost plus beer so that parts easy.

2) I wish to mount my Ramsey RE8000 winch on the front. Has anyone built a winch mount without a full bull bar for one of these trucks before, any tips ??

Thanks heaps for providing a forum for Navara owners. They are an often overlooked old truck, only bought one because i found it cheap on Ebay and figured i could not go wrong for $1500 for a running vehicle. 4 Tyres, 4 Shocks, a steering wheel, a set of points and some front suspension "adjustment" later it was on the road and i love it....

Sounds like you got a good thing going on, good to hear.

1) My advice is, don't go looking for a low kms Z24 for sale. They don't exist. If you don't want to swap, do a good rebuild on the one you have. As for go fast bits, it's a tractor motor (long stroke, low revving, heavy components, low broad torque band) so you'll never have a race car but people talk about meatier carbies. They also talk about fitting the Z18T head to it with all the turbo bits hanging off the side... Make it look sleeper though, nobody can afford to engineer a Z24T, the emissions test is a killer. That's about the only worthwhile mods I know of.

2) I'd be looking to the US Hardbody guys for that one. Because they don't have roos, full bullbars are less common so the basic winch cradle/driving light mount is a VERY common mod, and that's essentially an example of what you want.

Good luck with it all.

My advice, throw the Z24 into the bin and drop a KA24DE in.

Pinelli on here is running a KA24E in his D21 which was originally fitted with a Z24. So hit him up for tips.

Dave.

Thanks Dave and Dion. Think maybe a KA24D or DE is the answer. Just wondering Dion, as you pointed out the RWD config was limited, will a motor from a front wheel drive not bolt straight in.

Ps. Dion, i have read your build log. A) You know your shit, and B) is anything too difficult for you. Its guys like you that inspire me to do some custom work on my truck rather than buy one already kitted how someone else wanted it, which we all know is cheaper but you get what he wanted, not what you want.

Is their any significant differences between a KA24D and DE or are thay as good as each other.

Thanks again guys..

Thanks Dave and Dion. Think maybe a KA24D or DE is the answer. Just wondering Dion, as you pointed out the RWD config was limited, will a motor from a front wheel drive not bolt straight in.

Pinelli said the distributor will hit the firewall on the FWD motor and the only way around that is a head from, you guessed it, an RWD motor.

If you already had a KA24E or DE, you could use a FWD block to refurbish but other than that it's useless.

Ps.1 Dion, i have read your build log. A) You know your shit, and B) is anything too difficult for you. Its guys like you that inspire me to do some custom work on my truck rather than buy one already kitted how someone else wanted it, which we all know is cheaper but you get what he wanted, not what you want.

That's some hardcore praise, thanks for that mate. It's good to hear you're keen on custom work, D21 Navaras are under-represented in custom fab projects.

Is their any significant differences between a KA24D and DE or are thay as good as each other.

The KA24DE is a slightly more developed engine, I guess the point is if you're going to have to shell out $1000+ on a conversion you may as well put in the later, "better" motor. The KA24DE head won't bolt onto the block from a KA24E, there is a bit of a difference between them. Disadvantages of the KA24DE are:
- higher cost if the wrecker knows what they're doing
- I've seen US guys with 240SXs dissing the KA24DE in favour of the KA24E but with no supporting evidence so who knows
- KA24DE only came in the 4x2 Navara whilst the KA24E came in both 4x4 and 4x2 92-99, if you have a 4x2 motor you'll have to use your Z24 sump with small modifications, which Pinelli has done and I know nothing about.

So i guess because i am both tight and lazy i need to find a KA24E from a 4WD and do a bit of spanner work. Then get the father in law (an auto elec) to sort the electronics to make it run, with a high pressure fuel pump, and bingo, i will be able to keep up with traffic...Wooo Hoooo. All for under $2000 and no need for a grinder ..... Sounds tooo easy, whats the catch ?????? LOL

Looks like the Tax mans getting me a KA24E !!!! What a bloke aye....

I have read many a time that the KA24DE head wont bolt onto a KA24E block, I have always thought that thats a little wierd.

I cant see why the head wouldn't bolt on, put the DE timing case on and it should line up. But I haven't tested it.

U13 Bluebirds run the KA24DE but in a FWD layout.

Dave.

Just sounds like more work for no gain Dave. I think its much easier to hunt around and find the right motor (KA24E) and bolt it straight in, after all its going to be a huge improvement on what i currently have, and a relatively idiot proof transplant.

Just got the motor back for my winch so im working on that for now. Ita a rather large beast and i will loose some approach angle, but the old girl is never gunna win a rock climbing contest anyway. And guess what, i can just winch myself over if i cant drive over it...

Last edited:
OHHHH That is a big difference aye Dave. More homework for me.

Heres some pics of the old girl....... Enjoy

Attachments

• DSC01739.jpg
    DSC01739.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01738.jpg
    DSC01738.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01741.jpg
    DSC01741.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01740.jpg
    DSC01740.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 30
The KA24E makes 96Kw and the KA24DE makes 122Kw.

Dave.

Oh? My source has the KA24E at 105KW and the KA24DE at 116KW.

My info is from Wikipedia, where is yours from? If 122KW vs 96KW is "as fitted" to the Australian Navara, I'll definitely fork out the extra for the KA24DE.

My info is from Wikipedia, where is yours from? If 122KW vs 96KW is "as fitted" to the Australian Navara, I'll definitely fork out the extra for the KA24DE.

Redbook for the D22 up to '99 has the vehicle at 96KW, post '99 110KW. Still worth the KA24DE if you're up for the effort of modifying the sump.

I think i need to know more about the sump mods. Whats involved?

Apparently you have to weld a bit on, possibly to make the flange match? Also the oil pickup needs to be modified. It sounds like it's fairly simple to do, from the way Pinelli talks about it, but I'll let him explain it when he shows up.

Dion your right, 96kw for the KA24DE and 112kw for the DE.

Sorry just seen youre post. I was going off memory.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back