D21 improvements

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A strange thing is happening. I have changed JOB's so my travel habbits have changed. Instead of 15 mins of local stop start traffic to and fro, I now drive 10min stop start to the Monash freeway then wind up to 100 for about 20mins. (i know nobody believes its possible to do 100kmh on the monash for 20 mins without stopping, but i work anti social hours and travel against the normal flow) The decrease in oil usage is huge, and continues to improve........

Any suggestions as to why this miracle is occuring....

I am not a fan of peak hour either, so I work arvo/nights.

10 times better traffic to deal with, not as bad as Melbourne but frustrating none the less.

Dave.

I could take a guess. Your piston rings might not be sealing as well as they used to, and blow-by is causing oil to be lost through the PCV. If you fit a catch can to the PCV line, you may find it fills quicker in traffic.

As you're accelerating, you're asking the vehicle to provide more power - which means more combustion (more fuel, higher revs) than at cruise. This means more blow-by.

I could say "check your oil, I bet it's black" but diesels do that very quickly anyway, because of the blow-by that happens all the time. Yours would happen a little quicker.

There might be some value in slipping a detergent into the crank oil to try and clean the rings/bore, but longer term you might get better results from a hone/rebore.

It could just be the way the gaps in the piston rings are lined up too, by a mechanic who just doesn't think. When you're putting piston rings back into a piston, you're supposed to stagger the gaps so that there's not a straight path from top to bottom through the rings for the blow-by to pass through. I've pulled pistons out of engines before and discovered this, line them up the right way (each gap is 180 degrees from the adjacent one) and amazingly the engine runs better.

As you're accelerating, you're asking the vehicle to provide more power - which means more combustion (more fuel, higher revs) than at cruise. This means more blow-by.

I recon your on the money Tony. I put the 32"s back on and increased the load on the motor and bingo, about 300 kms to the litre. Me thinks its time for a heart transplant !!

:rock::rock:

The lovely Police officer who pulled me over last night took the time to explain the dangers of having a leaky muffler, and also explained the $400 fine for exessive noise. As i was still contemplating the future powering of the vehicle the exhaust was on hold untill other descisions were made. So this morning as I type, as agreed by the LOVELY occifer, Trufit Exhaust on warrigal road Moorabbin are doing extractors and 2 1/4 inch system. Then some Dodgey stuff will be done to decrease oil use untill another Z24 is found and rebuilt. Stock bottom end and head, after market carby and cam then tuned on a Dyno. Aiming for improved torque, and longevity of the entire vehicle, at a cost that reflects the value of the vehicle.

The spare motor I have has significant damage to a crank journal, and the coresponding bore but will still be robbed for valuable bits and peices. (Bugger)

Is anybody traveling between Sydney and Melbourne soon, if so, do you have space for a Z24 in the tray? TimTams has a healthy motor, its just not worthwhile paying a freight co. to bring it down, but I would be happy to reasonably compensate someone already traveling in the general direction....

Latest posts

Back