D21 KA24DE - Dion's Other Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not bother about an in tank EFI pump. Just use a normal lift pump in or near the tank to fill a surge tank and use an external EFI pump running off that.

The trick with a surge tank is to set it up correctly though, many people fill them from the lift pump, have the EFI pump run from that and direct the fuel pressure reg return on the fuel rail straight back to the fuel tank.

It needs to be lift pump to the side of the surge tank, EFI pump taking fuel from the bottom of the surge tank, regulator return to the side of the surge tank and a surge tank overflow from the top back to the fuel tank. That way the surge tank always stays full of fuel unless you actually have fuel surge and air getting sucked in by the lfit pump, that will bubble to the top of the surge tank and be sent back to the fuel tank when you get fuel flowing from there again.

Solved the ECU problem by throwing money at it.

OtherNavara003_002_Medium_.jpg

OtherNavara003_001_Medium_.jpg

Sourced a crankshaft pulley:
They're $400+ from Nissan Aus so I went to Nissan USA and got one for half that, and it fits.
OtherNavara004_008_Large_.jpg

Next on the list was the distributor. Nissan Aus wanted $1300+ for one so first I tried the USA, but $300 later that one doesn't fit despite the engine being the same so I've returned it, I'll just lose the shipping $$$.

Next port of call was the wreckers, I found one minus a cover, rotor, and cap so I bought that and bought the parts from Nissan quite cheaply, so now I've got a good distributor:
OtherNavara004_005_Large_.jpg

OtherNavara004_006_Large_.jpg

Note that it's a slot drive and not a half moon like the US market models.

Also grabbed an alternator from the USA, it seems a bit different to the Aus model but I think it can be made to fit easily. We'll see.
OtherNavara004_009_Large_.jpg

EDIT: Too late for me but I've noticed someone has started selling aftermarket new distributors for the KA24DE on eBay for $340 or so. That's not a bad price.

Last edited:
New-old rims and tyres, just Toyo 205R16s on Hilux splitties.

OtherNavara004_001_Large_.jpg

OtherNavara004_002_Large_.jpg

And a nice big steel tray, I might cut it down a bit, depends what it looks like on and how it feels loaded.

OtherNavara004_003_Large_.jpg

It's a work truck, so I want it to have a large steel tray. I will probably upgrade the rear springs too so that it doesn't sit on the bumpstops whenever you load it up.

I needed to confirm that fitting a 75 Series single cab tray to a dual cab Navara would pass roadworthy. The overall dimensions of the tray are 1830mm x 2130mm (6'x7').

The rule on overhang is:
Overhang.jpg

The wheelbase of the D21 is 2950mm (see attached spec sheet).

60% of 2950mm is 1770mm. Distance from the back of the cab to the centre of the axle is roughly 390mm. 2130mm-390mm = 1740mm, so it's about the biggest tray you'd want to fit to a dual cab Navara.

Attachments

• page22.pdf
    242.9 KB · Views: 113
I would not bother about an in tank EFI pump. Just use a normal lift pump in or near the tank to fill a surge tank and use an external EFI pump running off that.

The trick with a surge tank is to set it up correctly though, many people fill them from the lift pump, have the EFI pump run from that and direct the fuel pressure reg return on the fuel rail straight back to the fuel tank.

It needs to be lift pump to the side of the surge tank, EFI pump taking fuel from the bottom of the surge tank, regulator return to the side of the surge tank and a surge tank overflow from the top back to the fuel tank. That way the surge tank always stays full of fuel unless you actually have fuel surge and air getting sucked in by the lfit pump, that will bubble to the top of the surge tank and be sent back to the fuel tank when you get fuel flowing from there again.

Only just noticed this thread! Takes me back to last year putting the KA24E in my D21

I did what Bluester says above, and I haven't had any grief at all with fuel. It's worked without skipping a beat since then. I used a 1L surge tank with four connections exactly as above. One currently on ebay below would do fine

under-car ally surge tank & hose tails drift drag race - eBay Other, Performance Parts, Car, Truck Parts, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 11-Oct-10 18:28:28 AEDST)

I used one much like this, only round, and screwed it in under the car, under the right rear passenger footwell, directly above the chassis so its well protected. The fuel tank is just behind it, and I placed the fuel pump on top of the chassis again just in front of the surge tank. I ended up running fuel hose rather than using the metal fuel lines - not sure about legalities there. I'll try and get a piccy tomorrow if I can.

I've got a rundown on what I did on the 4wdaction website, but it sounds like you know what you're doing anyway

I'll be keen to see how the DE goes in.

Good progress, its always a good read in your threads.

2 thumbs up.

Thanks Dave.

Only just noticed this thread! Takes me back to last year putting the KA24E in my D21

Thanks for the confirmation Pinelli. I like the idea of using an old fire extinguisher and welding in the ports, if I crack the shits at that task I'll just buy one. It's tempting to put the surge tank in the engine bay to shorten the wiring and high pressure plumbing, I've just been reading all the largely speculative arguments on various forums about whether the engine bay is a good idea or not.

Still undecided how to treat the EFI system while the vehicle is running on LPG. The injector signal will be switched onto a bank of resistors to trick the ECU, it would be nice to also power down the EFI pump to save some wear and heat, and implement an injector-on/mixer-off delay switching back to petrol to give the EFI pump time to pressurise the fuel rail, but might be unnecessary.

Who's up for a bit of truck shunting? (note the tyre between the bullbars)

OtherNavara006_004_stitch_Custom_.jpg

That crane is so useful

How much better would that look with a few blue panels on the original. Would look like some weird cartoon accident scene where the vehicles swap body panels after a hard it.

Much progress on the KA24DE wiring and fitment Dion?

Short answer no.

Long answer expect some movement on that project come January - I was focusing the the other truck for quite a while following that engine swap. Now I won't be touching either till the new year.

Fuel pump comes on and off as required so onceitspressurised it should stayoff anyway if that's help.

Latest posts

Back