D21 Not goin into 4 low. GRR!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bretto280587

Reaction score
Hey guys, Had a problem with my baby (95 D21 TD27) getting stuck in low 4 on 2 occasions but i got under neath and sprayed all the linkages with wd40 and it popped straight out, heres me thinking it was just a build up of crap preventing it from smoothly changing but then after pulling a frontera out of somewhere it shouldnt have been it got stuck in 4 high, once again wd40 saved me, since then ive cleaned all the links but now it wont go into neutral or 4 low at all. Anyone know whats wrong with it or ideas?? Thanks

Yeah it goes up and down really easily. I have another d21 as a donor car and i had a look at it and its a lot more firmer when you move it up and down. Im not sure if it has something to do with that cylinder lookin thing or if its in the transfer case itself.

Well the external linkage is pretty simple, not much to go wrong, so most likely the problem is inside. I can't say I've ever seen this problem with any 4x4 Navaras. I guess if you can eliminate problems outside the box you're going to have to pull it down. At least it's not stopping you from daily driving it with the hubs unlocked.

Change your oil in it and see what happens. The oil may have lost its viscosity and therefor making it dificult to select a gear.Do this before ripping it out.Your clutch isnt buggered is it.

Pretty sure all the external gear is fine. Nothing looks out of place but i thought it might have been external because i had trouble shifting between 2h and 4h as well but since i cleaned it all up that hasnt happened. I only just swapped a motor into it about 1500 k's ago so i did the clutch while i was at it, all these problems happened before the swap to so im certain its nothing i did. I'll change the oil and hopefully that fixes it cause the box and transfer case weigh a tone and its a horrible job although i do have a spare box and tran case already. I'll do the oil and see what happens. Thanks guys i'll let you all know how it goes incase it happens to any of you.

Oh really? So splitting the transfer case from the box doesnt mess with anything and is there anything difficult to line back up when you put it back together? Im not a mechanic or anything but i do all my own work, im just learning as i go trying to save myself money.

Latest posts

Back