D21 Z20 possible engine conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done or can't be done, I'm just saying it's nuts. In a good way.

Atherton is about 6-8hrs away I think. Something like that.

Just up the road then...

Got a few acres, fruit trees, three chooks, and a ten minute commute. I am so never moving back to the city.

Yeah, can't disagree with that, sounds really nice.

Utekid, what are your present thoughts and plans on a swap? eBay has a healthy supply of various engines that could bolt up to your trans.

Last edited:
hey thanks guys i am currently reserching all your ideas but i like the idea of a rb30 engine, yeah pro nav im on ebay every day lookin for the perfect engine the plan to swap gets closer and closer to going ahead everyday. thanks for all the advice

hey peoples i have been onto carstlemaine rod shop they do convesions all the time and say that have done a few navaras d21 the best engine they say is the commy v6 VN they have adaptor engine mounts and adaptor plate that marrys up to the existing nissan 5 peed box, wat do all you guys think????

That'll give you a good result, might be costly though. With the labour and the adaptors, you'll rack up a bit of a bill. Did they give you a quote?

VT Maloo engine, the closest to that is the VU ute. It only ran the Gen 3.

Id say a VS Maloo.

Dave.

That'll give you a good result, might be costly though. With the labour and the adaptors, you'll rack up a bit of a bill. Did they give you a quote?
From what I've heard, the adapter kit is in the range of $2500, but don't quote me on that. On top of that, you've still got to get the engine and gearbox, and other extraneous parts. I'm assuming that you can do all (or most) of the work yourself, and you've got the tools, otherwise add $$$ on top of all that

Make sure you also talk to someone locally who can certify mods to cars if you are going to put a V6 into it. They'll tell you what they're happy with.

I guess with a V6 it would have cost more. Still, $2500 for just an adaptor plate is so, so not worth it.

I think I was thinking of Mark's adapter kit (Melbourne). It includes an adapter plate, a loom, engine mounts and a few other things, but yeah, it's still pretty expensive for an older car. You'll still need to add on exhaust and radiator on top of all that as well.

Throwing in a Nissan V6 with it's transmission and transfer case is prob a lot simpler.

Mind you, I hope utekid does go down the rb30 path and succeeds. I'd love to see that in a 4WD.

Hi all. Just finished installing a commadore V6 and its auto transmission into my D21. I just sent away for the wiring loom so when it gets here i should have it up and running in a weekend i'll let y'all know how it goes. All in all it was a pretty easy conversion with the adaptor plate. As for costing i dont really care if im gonna hang on to it for a while i dont mind paying a bit more for something unique cant wait to see how it goes probably a LOT better than the old deisel.:big_smile:

Hi NT,
Just out of curiosity, what adapter plate did you use, and what has it cost you to do the conversion? Sounds like you did the work yourself?

hey N.T.
ive been looking at the commy VN v6 conversion since ive been on to castlemain rod shop and the adator plate to mate the VN motor to navara 5speed box is only $615 plus the new engine mounts $300. is this correct? how eay was electric side of things also did u have to make any mods to engine bay? thanks

billy

Guys, sorry for the late reply my computer had a hissy fit but its all good now. The cost of the adaptor plate escapes me but im sure it was around the 800 mark but that also included in the kit a larger sump for the auto to help keep things cool. All in all it is a very easy conversion it still takes a lot of time because of all the fiddley stuff but as far as the electrics go they didnt turn up on the weekend (suprise suprise) so i dont know how hard that is going to be yet. The overall cost would be getting close to the $1500 mark we bought the commadore (vr i think) from the auctions as a complete write off for $600 delivered:big_smile: the motor was in great nick. I think the whole conversion when its completely finished should stay under $2000 then bring on the 33's 4 inch lift front and rear lockers etc etc

Guys, sorry for the late reply my computer had a hissy fit but its all good now. The cost of the adaptor plate escapes me but im sure it was around the 800 mark but that also included in the kit a larger sump for the auto to help keep things cool. All in all it is a very easy conversion it still takes a lot of time because of all the fiddley stuff but as far as the electrics go they didnt turn up on the weekend (suprise suprise) so i dont know how hard that is going to be yet. The overall cost would be getting close to the $1500 mark we bought the commadore (vr i think) from the auctions as a complete write off for $600 delivered:big_smile: the motor was in great nick. I think the whole conversion when its completely finished should stay under $2000 then bring on the 33's 4 inch lift front and rear lockers etc etc

That is going to be sweet. Should get some photo's, or maybe a build up log.

I was thinking of doing a build up log, cause its getting fresh paint as well, and also new seats and interior and maybe a checker plate dash. But im a bit computer retarded so ill start practicing posting pics so it becomes easier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back