D22 Caravan Towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckasaurus

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i couldnt really find too much on what i was after soooo..
How many peeps on here with a 2.5Litre D22 tow between 1.5 and 2.5 tonnes, for eg a caravan.
If so what mods have you made to improve the D22 towing capability

Cheers Jase

hey mate,i dont tow atm and i havde a 3ltr but either way id say start with a exhaust and chip (2.5 already has intercooler yea??but maybe upgrade if possible).also id be doing a catch can and EGR mod.
cheers,
craig

The D22 has less power than the D40, so that's where you'd focus on. A good chip - either Unichip or ChipIt - would provide the single biggest improvement.

An intercooler would be a great investment if yours doesn't have one. When you're towing, the turbo will work harder and be hotter and if you don't give it time (by idling the engine) to cool a little before shutting down, the turbo will destroy itself. The intercooler will provide you with a mild performance benefit and save your ass if the turbo blows up by catching the broken bits before they enter the motor and destroy it.

The EGR mod and a catch can are definite must-dos but won't cost you the earth and won't provide astounding performance gains (if any).

Exhausts have been argued about a lot. Some people seem to get some benefit from going bigger, some people rip out their CATs etc - there are dyno charts around demonstrating that there's not a great deal of actual power to be had for increasing to a 3" system. Whether that's true for all cars or not we simply don't know because not everyone does a before-and-after dyno.

I'd recommend a good dual-rate leaf pack for the rear and a good weight distribution hitch. A Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller will serve you VERY well controlling the van too.

We have a 2010 2.5 Dual cab and apart from the tow bar, nil yet.
The camper trailer is okay to 1.6 tonnes, but no idea of the actual weight we are dragging around atm.

Fuel economy is between 10L (towing nothing) nothing, to 15L/100Kms(towing the loaded up CT and ute) when going lead foot on the Freeway/good roads.

I am currently thinking of the upgrade from Ultimate suspension(mentioned in "advert your business" sub-forum, with a few member recommendations) to cure the ducks disease of the default springing.

With that weight, you will definitely want electric brakes. We have override which are ok when it all lines up but can push terribly/slide rear when you kink it.

We're just on our first trip away towing our 1976 Viscount Royal, (16ft), and apart from the VG33E guzzling the juice it was great. There will be a new exhaust going on soon though. I do have a Camec 4 bar WDH, and it worked really well, nice and easy to put on as well.

We're just on our first trip away towing our 1976 Viscount Royal, (16ft), and apart from the VG33E guzzling the juice it was great. There will be a new exhaust going on soon though. I do have a Camec 4 bar WDH, and it worked really well, nice and easy to put on as well.

Hey ray....

What sort of economy did u get ??

Latest posts

Back