D22 Cluster LED color conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmac

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to make this as simple and as quick as possible because i cant spell, read, write, dont know proper names for things and get bored on computers. Ha Ha.

SO what im going to show you is how to change the leds in the Cluster of a D22.

Im not saying this is the rite way to do this, but this is just my way i did it and you are attempting this at your own risk, im not being help responsible for any stuff ups! REMEMBER HOW EVERYTHING PULLS APART!

Stuff i used:
- LED style cluster
- Reasonable soldering skills
- Thin solder stuff (melts easier at lower temps)
- 25w soldering iron with sharp thin tip
- Red, Blue or White 3528 PLCC-2 1210 SMT SMD LEDs (surface mount led)
- 2 tea spoons
- maybe some tweezers to hold led in place.

STEP 1 - Remove cluster
IMAG1673.jpg
IMAG1675.jpg
undo 2 screws holding cluster surround, then remove.
undo 4 screws holding cluster in place, pull forward and disconnect the 2 plugs at the back of the cluster.

STEP 2 - Dismantling Cluster and exposing LEDs
IMAG1670.jpg
undo all the clips around the cluster and remove the back plate and front plate leaving the cluster face exposed.
TAKE A PICTURE OF THE NEEDLE POSITIONS TO REFER TO LATER ON!

Once you have exposed the cluster face, gently remove the needles with the 2 spoons by sticking the spoons under a needle and gently and evenly plying the needle up.
IMAG1669.jpg

next peel of the face cover, is stuck on but peels off nicely once started.
IMAG1666.jpg

next you need to separate the circuit boad and the white cover thingy, their held together by the lcd screen pins and 2 clips that you will see at the back of the circuit board. everything requires some gentle plying to pull apart. Dont remove the lcd screen individually, leave it where it is. The lcd screen will pull out of the circuit board with the white plastic panel

IMAG1663.jpg

With the circuit board exposed you will see the surface mounted Leds.
leds circled red are the lcd display
leds circled blue are the number etc display
leds circled in yellow are for the needles

STEP 3 - Soldering Leds (PRACTICE YOUR SOLDERING SKILLS FIRST)

the leds your are replacing your original ones should look like this.

smd.jpg

The end with the notch on the corner is the Positive but that doesnt really matter longs you copy the notch location on the original led on the circuit board. If you look hard enough you will see a small white dot on the board next to the leds to help indicate you on the Led direction, use that dot as a reference.
To remove the original led all i did was heat up the solder on one side of the led and once the solder starts to melt i lift the led up, repeating this on the other side. Dont take too long to do this because you dont want to over heat and melt the board, if you miss it wait a minute and try again. Once the leds had been removed i like to give the terminals a little touch with the soldering iron to tidy up the terminal/solder for the new led and maybe if needed add a little more solder. Harder said than done.

To solder new led in i put the led on the terminals and melt one side of the solder whilst pushing the led down, repeat on other side.

Once you have changer over all the Leds you wanted i like to "test" them before putting everything back together by pluging the board back into the car, turn on the lights and ignition for the lcd light to work too.

IMAG1664.jpg

As you can see with my test a few weren't working, double checked my soldering and replaced faulty led and they all worked.

Once your happy with your soldering skills, put everything back in reverse and enjoy.

IMAG1677.jpg

FEW EXAMPLES AND MY EXPERIENCES

FYI - Needles are already red so very restricted to color choice, add blue leds will make needle purple, red led makes the really red etc

Original

IMAG1641.jpg

All red, at night looked good but at dusk red lights looked like hot pink against the white face

IMAG1677.jpg

All Blue, Looks wicked at first then novelty wears off and seems too bright and in you face at night.

IMAG0004[1].jpg

Blue with Red lcd, My favourite

IMAG0071[1].jpg

One more quick thing, to stop the light from leaking out of your needles stick some white paint on the underside of the needle. It will make the needle look more define at night. Also got a permanent red texter and colored the top of the needles red.

Latest posts

Back