d22 common issues and solving them

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The steering stop issue isn't to do with the torsion bar setup, it is because d22s run a steering box setup instead of rack and pinion like the d40s. If they had a steering rack then they wouldn't need the stops, but a steering box has no limiting stops inside it, if you disconnect the pitman arm from the box it will just keep turning forever.

The noise isn't a problem on the solid front end patrols, etc because the whole assembly moves, obviously, but the d22s being ifs they have to limit it somehow. It isn't a bad design as such, they are just limited with options because of the simpleness (if that's a word) of the steering system...

In saying that, at least we can fit steering dampers if you feel the need and you can do a bush mechanic fix if you bust something. Can't really do that if you break a steering rack...

So, there's no real way of stopping this knocking noise when offroading? I know it's not a good choice, but is it worth adjusting the steering stops inwards to their limits for that "extra" little of clearance as mine seems to knock way b4 full lock.....

So, there's no real way of stopping this knocking noise when offroading? I know it's not a good choice, but is it worth adjusting the steering stops inwards to their limits for that "extra" little of clearance as mine seems to knock way b4 full lock.....

They have front and rear stops, so maybe check and make sure it isn't hitting one side before the other. You could remove them if you wanted to but the cv's will be at a pretty nasty angle when you can turn the wheels further. Not too much of an issue when you are in 2wd but I dunno how long they will last in 4wd...

Yeah mate. Don't play with the stops.
Put grease on all 4 of them, as this will stop the squeaking. And if you have got a clonking noise. Check your nuts on your independent suspension where they attach to the chassis.
That was what was wrong with mine.. Fixed it up sweet.

Let me know how u go

and nissan designed the bottom of the sump to sit just lower than the rest of the vehicle, get a bash plate fitted asap and it will safe you replacing the sump....

Latest posts

Back