D22/D40 Comparison

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsdave

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm am in the situation where I need to replace my D40. I have been looking at purchasing the D22 2.5td and as far as price goes it seems to be good value. I've noticed on several forums that people are downgrading from the D40 to this model and would like to know why they have done so and anyones thoughts how they rate this and also anyone who has upgraded from a D22 3L to the newer model. I realise that the 2.5 is detuned from the D40 and am concerned that it might make a significant difference in power loss. As we tow a camper trailer and do a lot of outback travelling I would like any opinions - good or bad!

Cheers,
Dave

What sort of camper trailer and weight information? might help people give you an answer.

There was recently a thread comparing D22 Vs D40 features.

We tow an Aussie Swag semi off-road campertrailer - 1 tonne fully laden (water etc etc) and about 105kg on the towball. We use a Treg hitch with this. Wonder if you could direct me to the forum with the comparisons please?

Last edited:
Dave,
I can't give you comparative info, as I've only owned a d22. However when I towed a camper of similar weight maybe more, I found no issue on highways and the like, but in sand the trailer was like an anchor. Also in rougher off road sections I felt a lot of feedback through the camper especially over 'woop-de-doo's!' including bottoming out of rear end. So power not such an issue, but rear suspension needs some upgrade. Just my thoughts.

i think the biggest diffence i would notice would be cabin space and power. thats pretty much why i choose my d40 over the d22.

Crack's summed it up nicely. The two vehicles sit at about the same height off the road. They have different suspension setups but are equally capable of being lifted if necessary.

The D40 has more space and creature comforts but the workings are pretty much the same. The power is different - not necessarily hugely less, but it comes on differently. The D22 has a very smooth transition from pre-boost to boost, which might make you think it has a LOT less power - the D40 comes on very hard once the turbo starts to spool up. There are times that I wish it didn't do that, I rather prefer the smooth increase in power, but I like the ride in the D40 - the D22 isn't as comfortable over long distances.

Good question Terry, I didn't actually measure, just had a look and they looked 'about' the same.
Something I will check in future, befor purchase, I guess 30mm each side would make a difference. Thanks
anyhow back on topic!

Latest posts

Back