d22 diff replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtjockey

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have to replace my rear diff, so I thought I would pick the brains of the wise! -

It's an 06 D22 - on the ID tag it says that it's a CA43.

The diff that's in it is stuffed (big whine, lots of noise and metal chunks (not shavings)). So essentially I'm thinking there is two options:

The first is to replace the diff centre, but I don't really know what this entails, I'm guessing things like taking out axels, stripping out the diff centre, fitting everything back in and getting it all aligned etc. plus the other thing is you don't know if anything else has been damaged inside. So basically a bit of work that takes some knowledge - I can do the work but my knowledge is lacking.

The other option is just to source a complete rear assembly - they seem to range in price from $500 - $1250 for basically the same thing (unless I'm missing something) - then simply swap out the diff, bleed the brakes and you are good to go - I understand that it is a second hand diff and you could have the same problem again but from what I can gather the D22 diff is generally pretty good.

Thoughts anyone?

Howdy,

The diffs aren't to complicated to pull apart, its just putting them together exactly right is the hard part. I've been lucky with all my re-assemblies as they have been withing tolerance. if you need to adjust, with shims etc, then your better off getting a diff person to do it.

you can get a dial guadge cheap enough, so you can check if your diff is within spec. If its not you need to adjust shims/side carriers and it becomes more difficult, cause if you do it wrong you diff is a turning time-bomb.

If you have not played with the diff insides before, i would recommend buying a secondhand diff. Just test the input shaft for play, a good diff should have little to no play, if it has movement before actually turning the crown-gear - it will either be noisy, or on the way out.

I have to replace my rear drums shortly, i know its either going to be a smooth process or a bitch. ive had two friends recently have to give up and get pros to do the rears, both will bills climbing up toward 1k.

I recently bought a rear diff complete, with leaves, tail-shaft and everything for $50. The last one i bought cost me $250 (a while ago). If you have time to wait for a good deal, you can get lucky you can find some real bargains secondhand.

My plan was to recon the LSD unit, replace all the brakes with new components, repaint the housing, then when she's all sweet swap the entire diff over.

Its annoying because of the size, but its easy work to do. Just need to setup the h-break cable, connect brakes lines and do a proper brake bleed.

anyway, goodluck with it :)

Latest posts

Back