D22 engine swap ideas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max-Power

Reaction score
Will a Duramax 2.8l engine fit? The dimensions of it compared to ZD30 have it shorter and not as wide but about 110mm give or take deeper.

Sounds expensive and difficult. Any particular reason you want to dump the ZD30? More power? Bad experience?
Yeah just exploring options where I can keep the car for another 20 odd years. Better fuel economy, particularly on highways, more power. ZD30 is a good engine but I'm not real impressed with the rev's at 100 as I spend a lot of time in 100 zones.

Bigger wheels could help... But raising the car would not really improve fuel economy.
I put a set of higher profile tyres on my stock D22 rims, (235/85/16 BF Goodrich all terrains) more-so because i really liked the tyres used on the land cruisers I drove in a mine site in WA in that they wore really well. The result was a drop in engine revs of a couple hundred at highway speed, and the obvious difference between speedo speed and actual speed. From memory at 100 kph speedo read, the big speed check unit on the freeway clocks me at 107 kph. something to be aware of if you dont want a speeding fine.

otice any appreciable saving in fuel.
I put a set of higher profile tyres on my stock D22 rims, (235/85/16 BF Goodrich all terrains) more-so because i really liked the tyres used on the land cruisers I drove in a mine site in WA in that they wore really well. The result was a drop in engine revs of a couple hundred at highway speed, and the obvious difference between speedo speed and actual speed. From memory at 100 kph speedo read, the big speed check unit on the freeway clocks me at 107 kph. something to be aware of if you dont want a speeding fine.

I too installed slighly higher profile tyres on Narelle. However I didn't notice any improvement in fuel consumption. Next I ripped out the old exhaust and cat converter and added a 3" exhaust without the cat. I also had the dump pipe ceramic coated. Then I blocked off the EGR outlet. The ZD30 now runs smoother, quieter and has more grunt. I was considering installing a Commander to better control the fuel flow. Not worth the cost. Mate has a Isuzi 3 lt and he reckons Narelle is stronger than his D-Max. Give that a try.

I too installed slighly higher profile tyres on Narelle. However I didn't notice any improvement in fuel consumption. Next I ripped out the old exhaust and cat converter and added a 3" exhaust without the cat. I also had the dump pipe ceramic coated. Then I blocked off the EGR outlet. The ZD30 now runs smoother, quieter and has more grunt. I was considering installing a Commander to better control the fuel flow. Not worth the cost. Mate has a Isuzi 3 lt and he reckons Narelle is stronger than his D-Max. Give that a try.
I did the EGRblank mod after reading some posts on this forum. will eventually fit a catch can,..what is the advantage of ceramic coating the dump pipe???

Interesting. The math says your 235's are 14.25mm higher in profile than the standard 265/70 so 28.5 total tire diameter. Surprised it can make such a difference particularly when the D22 speedo reads fast in the first place. Mine at least, reads almost 10% fast, as my D40 did also. Certainly helps to avoid speeding fines. You'd think it would about normalise.

Interesting. The math says your 235's are 14.25mm higher in profile than the standard 265/70 so 28.5 total tire diameter. Surprised it can make such a difference particularly when the D22 speedo reads fast in the first place. Mine at least, reads almost 10% fast, as my D40 did also. Certainly helps to avoid speeding fines. You'd think it would about normalise.
you would think so and maybe it does. I havent done any math on it , i was just after a good tyre with the prospect of a few less engine revs, and who knows how accurate the freeway speed check is. But like I said,..Times that I have bothered to drop back intentionally to 100k on my speedo, their device is telling me im doing 107k. I dont have a GPS to confirm.

Latest posts

Back