D22 in hot weather...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't the sprayed water heat up so fast it's ineffective? Intercooler would be the only way I'd think. Logically. Never noticed it so far but I have a snorkel.

Wouldn't the sprayed water heat up so fast it's ineffective? Intercooler would be the only way I'd think. Logically. Never noticed it so far but I have a snorkel.

It would heat up, and evaporate rather quickly. The change of state from liquid to gas as the fluid evaporates causes a drop in temperature on the surface the fluid was on. That's also how our skin works, and how refrigerators and air conditioners work too (although they use different liquids at different pressures to achieve a higher working efficiency).

It is possible - and I had discussed this very thing with a performance guy back when I owned a Jaguar XJS - to pass the incoming air through a refrigeration unit driven by the engine (you could pass the fuel through this as well, although that has less performance benefits). The cost is high, the things that can go wrong with it are disastrous, so it would have to be maintained fairly regularly.

Cooling down the air changes the volume that those air molecules occupy. So cooler air is denser - more molecules per cubic centimetre. This does two things that are beneficial to the engine.

1) More oxygen molecules available for the combustion process, allowing the fuel to combust completely. It's the whole reason for having a turbo charger, too - forcing the air in under pressure. If you partially combust 20ml of diesel, you get a certain amount of energy which equates to a certain force downwards on the piston. Completely combust it and you get more force = more power.

2) When combustion takes place, the cooler gases expand more than hotter gases, creating additional downward force on the piston. This effect isn't going to give a lot of difference, but it is there and if we had the time and the will, we could measure it.

So spraying the intercooler with a mist will have a benefit.

I was talking with a performance mechanic who told me that the first thing I should fit to my Navara is a misting system. They even have automatic ones, with large tanks that you fill. It's not just the evaporation that helps the transfer, either, he said - it's the fact that a wet surface will transfer heat better than a dry surface.

He added that, with the D40, this will assist the radiator, auto transmission oil cooler and the air conditioner as well, since the mist will make its way through to these.

I guess I'm going to do it.

Old.Tony said:
It would heat up, and evaporate rather quickly. The change of state from liquid to gas as the fluid evaporates causes a drop in temperature on the surface the fluid was on. That's also how our skin works, and how refrigerators and air conditioners work too (although they use different liquids at different pressures to achieve a higher working efficiency).

It is possible - and I had discussed this very thing with a performance guy back when I owned a Jaguar XJS - to pass the incoming air through a refrigeration unit driven by the engine (you could pass the fuel through this as well, although that has less performance benefits). The cost is high, the things that can go wrong with it are disastrous, so it would have to be maintained fairly regularly.

Cooling down the air changes the volume that those air molecules occupy. So cooler air is denser - more molecules per cubic centimetre. This does two things that are beneficial to the engine.

1) More oxygen molecules available for the combustion process, allowing the fuel to combust completely. It's the whole reason for having a turbo charger, too - forcing the air in under pressure. If you partially combust 20ml of diesel, you get a certain amount of energy which equates to a certain force downwards on the piston. Completely combust it and you get more force = more power.

2) When combustion takes place, the cooler gases expand more than hotter gases, creating additional downward force on the piston. This effect isn't going to give a lot of difference, but it is there and if we had the time and the will, we could measure it.

So spraying the intercooler with a mist will have a benefit.

I was talking with a performance mechanic who told me that the first thing I should fit to my Navara is a misting system. They even have automatic ones, with large tanks that you fill. It's not just the evaporation that helps the transfer, either, he said - it's the fact that a wet surface will transfer heat better than a dry surface.

He added that, with the D40, this will assist the radiator, auto transmission oil cooler and the air conditioner as well, since the mist will make its way through to these.

I guess I'm going to do it.

I has this set up in my turbo pulsar. Just make sure the squirter nozzles are at a higher elevation than the bottle of water. Underside it will leak out by itself, trust me that happened to me fist time.

a snorkel makes a huge difference in hot weather i noticed, also considering misting the intercooler though. there is a noticable difference in power when the aircon is on.

I dunno Im just not convinced about this mist addon. The body only needs a very small amount of temperature change to feel cool.

But engines, well by the time the air rushs past and into the cylinder Id think its has regained its heat although not as much maybe. An intercooler would seem the more viable option to gain more power instead of this misting option. Now if you had both, the mist spraying onto the intercooler that would help a ton. Even better would be to spray the fine mist into the air intake itself just like X rally cars.

Misting works.When mine gets got I run a bit of water over the top tank and the temp comes straight back down.They do the misting set up on comp trucks to keep them cool when doing hard climbs at low speed.

hi all,

my zd30 d22 is acting up during hot weather. when the temp gauge gets to nearly 1/2, the problem begins. it drives fine at night, or cloudy/rainy days.

i've sent it to nissan couples of weeks and got really p**sed off by their clumsy mechanic. he accidentally tore-off my driver side door because he forgot to pull hand brake when parking on a slope in the workshop......... got my d22 back a week later after they repaired the door and i decided never to see them again...

my engine runs fine when it is in neutral gear, but whenever i engage any gear position, with clutch still fully depressed, the engine revs wildly from 500-700rpm (i reckoned normal idle rev should be around 700-750), exhaust coughing thick white smoke and massive judder.

i have to maintain engine rev at around 1300-1500 before switching gear, otherwise the rev just wouldn't build up and to avoid puffing smoke and judder. what's killing me is when i got stuck in heavy traffic, have to build rev to around 1500, put gear 1, and release clutch pedal slowly or i'll hit somebody in front. as long as i maintain the rev above 1300 all the time, it's running fine.

i've installed a DIY catch can and 2.5" turbo back straight pipe. helps with acceleration improvement but not the hot weather problem. engine bay is noticeable way hotter compared to other turbo diesel cars around here. I live in Indonesia btw.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

most likely it has a blocked intake somewhere or egr valve is stuck open.
the reason i say that is when you go into gear the butterfly and swirl valve shut which reduces airflow. combined with another air restriction you may simply not getting enough air in causing the effective compression to drop to low to ignite the diesel properly giving white smoke. i would pull the intake manifold off and clean it out. check intake runners and valve clearances.

stuck EGR valve can sometimes cause it to. easy to test, just block it off.

odd chance your leaking oil via the intake valve stems.

thanks tweak'e!

i'll check the intake manifold with my local mechanic.. blocking the egr would be my next mod in coming days.

sorry i'm not fluent in mechanic term, but how do you check intake runners and valve clearances?

if say, there's oil leaking issue thru the valve stem, is it going to be an obvious oil loss?

finally, i'm seeing some shed of lights after awhile :D

all cars in hot weather seem to get affected.

mums auto falcon in the day will just take off quickly from the lights if you put your foot down.

however at 5am or so it'll spin the wheels every time if you put your foot down lol

Latest posts

Back