D22 Navara Steering

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradM

Reaction score
Does anyone besides me have the "ping pong" steering on a D22. i.e. Backlash on the steering box gears at centre point where it floats and you are continually moving the steering wheel left and right slightly to compensate?

Yes. Have brought it to dealers attention at every service with the result being"no fault found". Have had over a dozen alignments from 5 different workshops with the most recent being Tuesday just gone. The word from them again is that the steering box is rooted.
Have now booked this bastard vehicle in for "inspection" Wednesday week to have that, centre tailshaft bearing and body mounts "assessed ". I'll hit the bloody roof if they are denied from Nissan.

Hi Aido, thanks for the info, it is what I thought. What year is your D22?

09 Thai practice model.
Everyone that has touched the front end of this vehicle has said there is something not right with it. No one will put their balls on the line though and put it in writing.
Best result I got was from pedders footscray that used their intuition and 3.5 hours to get the bastard to drive in a straight line. Well outside factory specs and since breaking the tie rod and last week having the 4 inch lift fitted no one has been able to come close to the figures they obtained.
The vagueness you describe is bloody annoying as every undulation in the road sends the vehicle in a random direction that you have to keep compensating for.
Having had this vehicle for 18 months I would like to think that one day soon it will behave like a new and semi modern Massey ferguson as apposed to the 1956 kero burning grey that it is now.

did anyone tighten up the steering box ?
i think its the idler arm that prone to wearing and causing steering problems.

Lash in the steering box cannot be adjusted..... Throw away job so I am told.
Idler arm replaced at 10k klm. It was flogged then but current one is standing up to the job

Does anyone besides me have the "ping pong" steering on a D22. i.e. Backlash on the steering box gears at centre point where it floats and you are continually moving the steering wheel left and right slightly to compensate?

I also have this issue on my 06 D22 STR (60,000ks), would love to know how to solve it. I don't have the time or money to take it to get looked into at present.

Leprechaun said:
Is it possible to wind on more castor to help with the vagueness?

Problem is that there is only so much available. The final figures from pedders show a difference of 9.5 mm castor between the 2 front wheels and 14mm difference in cross castor.
Place I took it to here in town after I busted the tie rod had no idea. After dicking about for over an hour I was taken into the workshop to show that the Neanderthal clutching spanners couldn't even get it near factory spec even though the very helpful computer in front of him was telling him what to do!
Ifs 4x4 requires somebody with knowledge and intuition to set them up.... They are not a commodore or falcon.
Needless to say that my steering box doesn't help because every time a spanner so much as touches down all the figures go haywire on the alignment machine. That and it appears that the upper control arm brackets are manufactured incorrectly.

Lash in the steering box cannot be adjusted..... Throw away job so I am told.
Idler arm replaced at 10k klm. It was flogged then but current one is standing up to the job

not sure on the later ones but there should be a adjustment screw with lock nut on top of the steering box.

also one very basic thing is wheel bearings.

Wheel bearings good. Steering box rooted. Has been since new...... For chrisake why does everyone doubt what I'm saying!?
There is no adjustment on current model and hence it is a replacement job....
No offense tweak and advice appreciated but my steering box is U/S

Last edited:
rip it out and fit an earlier one. hopefully nissan has kept everything the same and its a straight bolt up job.

Not likely! This is the one thing I want fixed under warranty more than anything.

even better, get them to fit the earlier box.

also what tires are you running?
what pressure in them makes a fair bit of difference.

Mine is a 2008CRD and the backlash is not adjustable. The screw on top loads the pretension to stiffen the steering up but does not adjust the backlash in the gears. I have fitted a steering damper and this has help immensely with the problem but it is still there.

I am going to take it to Nissan to fix as it is still under warranty. I want to do a 2" lift but I want the steering 100% first.

I had a 1996 GQ with the same problem and had the steering box rebuilt. It came back a brand new steering box with the same problem.

Latest posts

Back