D22 Navara, Why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkdvs22

Reaction score
Was asked by a mate at work the other day why i bought the d22, i answered value for money and it does everything i want from a fourby/ute. Very happy with my decision. Keen to see why everyone else here bought one, and why NOT the d40?

Nah I brought a Lada but I want to be liked so I say I brought a Nav.

Most people buy due to personal preference model number has little do with it, it's only when they get on a forum they realise they can be part of the hairdressers or the shaved back brigade.

I bought the D22 because it has two gearsticks and manual locking hubs, old school if you like. Hilux's and Tritons didn't even get a look at. My next preference the Colorado/D-Max had push button 4wd.
All of the above and I've always kinda been a Nissan man!

Cheers Brad

I bought the D22 because it has two gearsticks and manual locking hubs, old school if you like. Hilux's and Tritons didn't even get a look at.

Cheers Brad

^+1

and the '22 is not too wide...suit's a lot of small tracks i frequent and
its not a gaymobile like those D40's

next choice was the ford courier or whatever they are called now
D40 never got a look in either.
Actually first pref is a Patrol dualcab ute, but not available.
Maybe when the kids are out and have their own transport I'll get me a single cab patrol and steel tray/ lockable steelmesh canvas covered canopy.

Last edited by a moderator:
at the time D40's didn't come out in single cab. but now i still wouldn't have a D40. size is an issue, we can barely fit D22's in let alone anything bigger. lockable hubs and transfer gearshift is a must. none of this faulty 4x4 switches or abs lines that D40's suffer from.

I got one cause they were incredible value for $. $30k drive away, was a pretty good deal for a car thats stood strong for so long. Simple to work on, nothing fancy. Not much electronics at all.
40 and the lux did get a look at, but what can they do that my D22 can't. Owned mine for nearly a year and love it.

It all depends on what your looking for. I wanted a king cab. The other truck on the short list was a Ranger/BT50. As the access in these is much easier with the doors. There is just heaps of pros and cons in this class but ther'e the main ones for me. Dare I say it but all round I think the Toyota is a better thing, well at least they use to be but that didn't exactley suit my needs and to expensive.
I do know one thing for sure I don't give a flying toss on how I am perceived and would never choose a car on that basis. In fact if you do buy a car on that basis... hmmm never mind I wont go there:)
The D22 has a good name and IMO probably a better thing for going bush. D40 probably better on a longer trip..... it just goes on. However after owning a Rodeo for 16 years I'll never buy torsion bar suspended car again.
If I could somehow have the ultimate mid size 4x4 ute it would have an Isuzu engine, the Mitsubishi's transmission, D40 interior, Amarok suspension and the price tag of a Great Wall. Come to think of it there is no toyota bits in there, like i said good all round but nothing stands out.

Last edited:
I bought a D22 because it's simply the best value for money new crew cab ute available on the market in Australia. $29990 drive away for a new 4x4, turbo diesel, crew cab ute.

Most 2nd hand low kilometres, crew cab diesel utes sell for more than that and I have no idea how badly the last owner thrashed it.

I do know one thing for sure I don't give a flying toss on how I am perceived and would never choose a car on that basis. In fact if you do buy a car on that basis... hmmm never mind I wont go there:)
]

so, go on, how are you perceived???

D22 has good ground clearance and a shorter wheel base. If I only drove on road I would prefer the d 40

My budget was 30k and I liked the 22 when I drove it, but needed tub liner and tow bar.
The salesman thought he had a better chance to close the deal if my lady could drive it but she likes auto's.
So in his wisdom talked me into driving the 40 demo auto he had. It had the acc I wanted and a good price.
Well I drove it and loved the statesman feel.
I had a dilemma.
So I went home to chew it over.
Got on the net Carsales.com and found a 40 with ALL the bells and whistles, one owner, local, and close to what I was gonna have to spend on a 22 + goodies.
I love it.
But I appreciate why the 22 fits it's market too.
Silly thing is I would own a 22 if the salesman wasn't trying to be tricky.

Last edited:
Krankins still a little jealous that none of us girlymen will shave his back, he's learnt that dragging his knuckles on the ground gets rid of hair but hasn't worked out how to get rid of the forest on his back by himself. :hahaha:

I got one cause they were incredible value for $. $30k drive away, was a pretty good deal for a car thats stood strong for so long. Simple to work on, nothing fancy. Not much electronics at all.
40 and the lux did get a look at, but what can they do that my D22 can't. Owned mine for nearly a year and love it.

Same for Me, Simple,Proven,Rugged,Old School and Top Value.

Suits my needs down to a tee.

Regards

Greg

Latest posts

Back