D22 or D40 for Towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elsewhere

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at either a D22 or D40 for towing an off road campertrailer (1.6T).

Which one does everyone thing is better suited to towing?

Cheers,
Greg

D40 auto is far better for towing.

The manuals have dual mass flywheels. Ride the clutch a little and the flywheel heats up, unable to dissipate the heat, and burns the clutch. Many manual owners have reported clutch failures as early as 30,000km - a few even less than that. Replacing it with a single mass flywheel and a HD clutch does resolve the issue.

We've towed our van for over 30,000km and we've had no grief from it. Over 84,000km on the clock now - auto still runs like a dream.

As for fuel consumption, we managed 16.5LPHK while towing 1.8T going UP the Great Divide at Easter, and that included managing some holiday traffic. Loaded (2700kg, but not towing) highway driving we've managed 10.6LPHK. Not bad for an auto with a DPF.

If you insist on a manual, expect to put a SMF and HD clutch in sooner or later, unless you're exceptionally gentle with the clutch. Some owners here are - they let the diesel do the work and don't rev+ride like those accustomed to petrol engines do.

Thanks for your reply. It will definitely be a manual, and I am already expecting to replace the clutch with a single mass flywheel and HD clutch at some time.

I have been easy on clutches in the past, so don't expect it to be a major issue - been driving diesels for a long time. Had a manual diesel Pathfinder for a while, but didn't tow with it.

I am looking at a D40, but was wondering if I should look at a D22 instead. I suspect the D40 would be better for towing, but would like others opinions.

Cheers,
Greg

comfort wise the d40 is better, so if there is family in there while towing i,m sure the extra room in the back seat might be appreciated

The D40 has a wider footprint and longer wheelbase as well, so it's more stable as a cruiser. Add the extra horsepower of the D40 and it's hard to choose the D22, although the D22 is a bit more economical.

Thanks,
There will be a back seat passenger, so the extra room will certainly be appreciated.

The extra horsepower was one thing that attracted me to the D40, the longer wheelbase and wider track is also an advantage. Economy is important, but not that high up on my list compared to the other features.
Looking like a D40 it will be.

towing that load will be no prob for a D22 and they have a single flywheel anyway.

speaking of the Dual mass f/wheels, I've come across a few in the past six months or so and I've had a good look at them and talked to the owners in detail....all where needing replacement and all were over the 100k mark and i found that the only reason they were needing replacement was due to the waering out of the internal "shock absorbing" workings.
NONE had ANY signs whatsoever of overheating, and I must say that after all the ramblings on this forum about how bad these clutches are made and overheat, I must beg to differ....i was however expecting some flimsy little flywheel but instead find them big enough for the task and infact IMO will get rid of heat much better than a standard type single mass wheel due to the extra surface area.
Yess some have failed here at 30k or so, but so have a lot of other parts.
Anyway back to the towing topic.

I just got a new d22 any there is very limited room in the back imo. i cant sit in the back of it as my head hits the roof by about 2" and there isntt much leg room either. i can however fit in a rodeo and not hit the roof. hope that helps a bit

Thanks for all the replies. I still think a D40 will be the way to go, unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to go D22.

Cheers,
Greg

the modern auto is upto scratch consider it for a bit longer putting in a solid flywheel and hd clutch may not end the problem. i have had 2 hd exedy clutches and pressure plates changed under warranty and in 1 hour i shall be leaving it at the dealer and bringing home something new. In trading it in i love my nav it just doesnt love me.

I just got a new d22 any there is very limited room in the back imo. i cant sit in the back of it as my head hits the roof by about 2" and there isntt much leg room either. i can however fit in a rodeo and not hit the roof. hope that helps a bit

just remember...the D22 is not sold as a "family" vehicle...its a workhorse.

the rodeo is in the same "catergory" as the D40

It all depends on the driver. as we used to say on the gtir forum, when you drive your car like it s stolen then things are going to break. drive it sensibly and things will be fine

Latest posts

Back