D22 or D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big J

Reaction score
Gday guys I think it is time to get a new ute and i was tossing up between a d22 and a d40 can u guys please give me a few fors and against both cheers

There are a few threads on this but I'll try to briefly summarise them.

The D22 and D40 both have long wheelbases when compared to Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, Vitaras etc. As a result, NEITHER has as good a "ramp-over" as some of the competition. The D40 is marginally longer than the D22, so it's even worse (but not by a lot). The D40 is very slightly higher than the D22 but both can be raised in various ways so from a practical point of view, both the D22 and the D40 are close in off-road capability, the D22 can clamber over obstacles a little better.

The D40 is far superior in long-distance trips, although you can put D40 seats in the D22 and overcome that, but the D22 is 175mm shorter in the rear seat area so teens/adults would find it squeezy in the back.

Both cars have similar load capacities and the same towing capacity, but the D40 handles heavy stuff better due to a more powerful engine. You can close that gap in a D22 by chipping the thing and then the D22's miserly economy starts to rise towards the D40s. It won't ever reach the D40 unless you replace the turbocharger and a few other pieces (like the ECU, and I think the engine head - it's actually cheaper to buy a D40 first if you want that much more power).

In the drive train, the D22 has manually locking hubs which means you can NOT lock them, drop into 4LO and push your caravan/boat up a steep hill without straining the engine. The D40 has permanently locked front hubs, so as soon as you engage any 4WD mode the front axle is being driven, so with a D40 in that situation you'd be better off with an auto.

The price is one of the bigger differences. The other is in the build quality. The ST and STX King Cabs WERE made in Thailand along with the D22s. The STX dual cabs were made in Spain. Next year, all D40 production is rumoured to move to Spain and D22 will remain in Thailand.

That's not to say the Spaniards don't stuff things up, they have Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in their weeks too.

Lastly - I don't think there's a D22 automatic in Australia. The D40 comes in either. The D40 manual is pathetically under-engineered, using a dual mass flywheel (rumoured to change to SMF in 2012/2013) which overheats and cooks the clutch, destroying it. The D40 auto is smooth and tows beautifully.

Thanks old Tony I am looking at a manual so your saying that the d40 is crap in Manuel cheers

Sounds like a good reason to get an auto. The D40's auto is pretty solid and driven normally, is a smooth-changer. It gets a little harsher when your foot is pushing the loud pedal through the floor, but that's to be expected.

I have a mate who has a d40 in auto and I didnt think it was all that good so I think I will get a Manuel

Well I do alot of hilly driving so up and down gears

The D40 will go harder in the hilly driving due to the higher output of the engine.

The issue with the D40 Clutch appears to me more in relation to hill starts when towing more than a tonne. (or backing uphill whilst towing)

If anyone is considering a D22, first thing is to go and actually sit in the drivers sea and close the door. I was planning on going for a trip with the "little" bro and sharing driving, so today I ask him to sit in the drivers seat. talk goes like this;

Bro; looking at drivers seat through open door " Looks fine, I'll fit.
Me: "Sit in it to make sure" and I move seat right back.
Bro; sitting in drivers seat with open door "See it is fine"
Now I close the door and hear "Oh, Yep just the territory,. $70K of vehicle and the door rest jams into your leg". He has maybe 1/2" between steering wheel and leg.

So it looks like the trip isn't going to happen.

The D22 might be an non-option if you don't fit.

Gday guys I think it is time to get a new ute and i was tossing up between a d22 and a d40 can u guys please give me a few fors and against both cheers
Waiting for delivery of and ST-X King Cab here. Can't put a fine line on it However I have done some serious comparing and shoping around, not to just the 22 but to other brand king cabs.

Toyota- good all round but to expensive and no suicide doors on extra cab.

Colorado/Isuzu- Great engine, if a bit noisy. Rides a little choppy. Really poor fit and finish in fact a couple I checked out where shocking.

Mitsubishi- Brilliant multi mode 4WD system. Can be used on road as a constant 4wd, a definate safety advantage in wet weather or just crusing down a dirt road. Like the cabin layout but access to the back in the king/space cab a hassel. Engine seems good if a little noisy to. Wife hates the look of the thing.

Mazda/Ford Ranger- Big plus for me, it to has suicide doors. Interior felt small, like a D22 but in reality probably not much smaller than the D40. Engine seems good, drives and rides good. New (more expensive) ones out now and they say it's heaps good but no king cab till next year somtime.

Did have a look at the Volkswagen Amarok but did not drive it . It's only in dual cab- for now. Although it does have a huge tub for a dual cab. Some people will scoff and say it's a volksy but looking underneath this thing it's built like a tank. It's a serious piece of kit and well finished. The price is way up there tho, 48K list for the base 4WD version. Told the sales bloke nobody pays list these days, take 6 grand off the list and I'll buy it right now- cash. He just laughed. I walked.

And last a very quick look at the LandRover. Really liked the very functional, almost millitary style dash the rest left me cold.

So in the end the D40- Ticked all the boxes, even if some of them wern't big ticks. Wont be towing or doing serious off roading so hopefully it will be a good touring/ all round vehicle for us.

After having a dual cab torshion bar Rodeo for 16 years the D40 feels like a limo.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the old model BT50 (despite buying dad one) but the new one looks absolutely terrible from the outside.

The Ranger I think is just another Ford.

The new Isuzu and Colorado don't look too bad though, no firm dates on when either model will arrive here but the new Suzie looks heaps better and is spec'd better than just about all other dual cab utes (for the O/S models) from what I've seen so far, which isn't much.

Congrats on the right choice though Tappet :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back