D22 reverse camera location and reverse wire.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate

Reaction score
Hi
I have tried to search for similar topics but to no avail.
I bought a Pioneer DVD head unit (AVHX3500BT) with Pioneer RCAM2 reverse cam from JB hifi for $468.
I will be installing it myself into my 2012 D22 Thai built, I was wondering where everyone else put their reverse camera, keeping in mind I would also like to mount it so if I hook onto a trailer I can still see what's going on. I was thinking in the gap in the middle where you put the bar in to wind down the spare but I think the camera might get a bit battered every time I have to do it., any suggestions?
Also the wiring on the camera is such that the power and av cable are one until the end at the RCA where the power comes out, either I can run a wire all the way to the back again (which seems a bit stupid) or is there somewhere on the gear stick a switch and power to the reverse lights?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've also got a Fusion CP-AS1080 8" 600w powered slim sub on the way and Pioneer TS-A1684S 350w 4way 6inch speakers in the front which will be powered by a Kicker KX200.2 2CH amp, I'll let you know how it goes once the install is complete! Cheers

I have installed a wireless reverse camera on a road car previously, and its way easier to do that than to hard wire it. You can buy a wireless receiver that will convert hard wired camera to wireless, as long as you have RCA plugs on the fittings.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-2-4Gh...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd76c4ef0. This kit allows the camera to draw power from the reverse light only when reverse is selected.

Or buy a dedicated wireless kit which draws its power from the reverse light. Depending on the brand, and as long as you don't want to use it to look behind you as such, it can be mounted on the roof of the canopy if you have one, It will be able to look down on the towbar as well, which may not happen if you mount it near the number plate. Best option is to wire it up and move it around to achieve the desired vision that you want and then think how it can be mounted. If you still have the original back bar, maybe mount it in the plastic top section next to where the spare wheel winder access hole is. You will have to mount it from behind and drill a hole for the camera to peep through?........ Just my personal thoughts........

With mine here i can just see the towball on the edge of the cameras field of view. You should be able to get power from the reverse switch on the gearbox, otherwise the reverse light itself which is how i did it.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 980
i'll have to take some pics of my install when the sun is out, but i mounted my Kenwood CMOS310 directly above the hole for the spare wheel. very well hidden, central spot and does not foul anything! Even putting the tailgate down causes no issues. perfect spot i reckon!

as for your reverse signal wire, its under the drivers seat in that block plug - from memory its the black/red wire.

@ Aussie navara, thanks mate but I'm going to be using the wired version that came free with the deck, I didn't really consider drilling holes in the bumper but that has got me thinking now, maybe I will drill a hole in the plastic above the bar and have the camera look down towards the tow ball, but as you say I think I'll wire it up then see what position looks best from the screen.

@rumpig cheers mate do you know where I would find the wire where it joins to the gearbox or if someone has a pic perhaps? I'm hoping it will be a matter of just taking the shroud off and soldering the wires on around there somewhere.

Not sure which plug it is on the new models, they've got a different gearbox to the zd30. Theres normally 3 plugs, one for reverse, one for the speedo and the nuetral position switch.

I mounted mine off the top of the numberplate. Works OK but isn't that flash in either really glarey conditions or dark but that could be camera quality.

I find it useful when backing up to connect a trailer, but as to your comment of wanting to see when you have a trailer connected then it would obviously need to be on the sports bar (or canopy(?) in order to get a decent view in that circumstance - and as mine operates off reverse gear, that hardly works well while driving along in a forward direction : )

KB

Easiest spot for the reverse lights is the loom just, under the tub. Just splice into it there...

Thanks guys, sorry I didn't mean I need to see when I have already got the trailer on, only just when I'm trying to line it up to hook on, I'll have a play with it in various positions when it's wired in to see where the view is best from. Thanks mr tim ill have a look under the drivers seat for the block plug you mentioned.

finally got around to taking some pics - not the best but you get the idea.

In-Dash view of out the back
ip4yJNT.jpg

and a view of where the camera ended up being mounted
6xt0Umm.jpg

Camera is a CMOS-310 Kenwood job, has 5 or 6 different modes that are switchable from within the cab. Has the fisheye view shown, top down, left/right extremities and a few others. pretty clever bit of kit!
Hooks straight into my Kenwood DDX4033BT but will work on any unit.

Last edited:
My cam is rather large so i made a bracket to attach it to the top of the number plate. i cant help you with the wiring as i have mine on a switch to put it on when i want it.. not just in reverse.ben

There is a multi pin plug under the drivers seat that has a reverse signal wire, that's the easiest to use to trigger the head unit

Back