D22 snorkels.. Tjm airtec/ genuine nissan snorkel vs safari. Plus questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BP90

Reaction score
Ok i have searched through numerous threads on this forum regarding snorkels and havent really been able to find out the info that im after. Im going to be buying a snorkel soon for my 2005 zd30 d22, i want to ditch the precleaner and eventually get a dual battery setup (whetherthe 2nd battery sits behind the headlight or in the back passenger side corner doesnt bother me as i know either will work.

Now i was set on just getting the genuine yd25 snorkel as i thought it to be the far cheaper option to the safari, although now that i have found a safari to be in almost the same price i wouldnt mind getting it depending on a few things as i have always slightly preferred the look of the safari over the genuine snorkel.

I have been to a few local 4x4 shops and been in contact with gary from nizzbits about snorkels, now all the quotes came in within about a $30-40 price difference, with the tjm snorkel being cheapest at 450 and the yd25 genuine snorkel (also airtec) through nizzbits being the 2nd dearest at 480 delivered.

When i asked the bloke at tjm what the difference between the tjm snorkel for the zd30 and the yd25 was he couldnt tell me only they were slightly different part number but same price. So first and second questions are is the tjm snorkel exactly the same as the genuine nissan snorkel and if so has anyone bought either that could tell me or upload a photo of the engine bay pipe work for them as i can find any info for this anywhere and want to make sur that if i go the tjm snorkel i can get rid of the pre-cleaner.

The safari snorkel was 466, now the only thing i see as a downside at the moment is i dont know what the size of the hole you need for the snorkel piping, as the guy at opposite lock didnt know for sure so does anyone who has installed a safari themselves be able to tell me exactly what size holesaw i will need. Also how much of a root around is moving the indicator. I dont think i will be too worried about moving it after drilling a dirty big hole for th snorkel piping though. Just wondering how you went about it.

Im pretty sure thats all i needed to know. Also i know its a pain when some puts up another thread on somethig when there are already other threads anout the same thing although as i said i have search through almost all of the snorkel threads over the last few weeks infavt trying to find information and pics about them but havent been able to find out the last few details.

So if anyone can help out with info and/or pics then that would be great.

Cheers Bart

i got mine a scintex brand witch apparently according to some of the guys on here is a knock of of the saffari mine cost$239 delivered on ebay the hole is a 90mm in the guard and you also have to relocate the blinker comes with all hardware and template so is easy enough to fit with right tools apparently there are a few brands where blinker needs to be moved this was my only worrie but worked fine if you dont want to move blinker i thought about just covering it up with snorkel

Thinking they all come with templates. Get yourself some low tack adhesive spray and stick the template down. Dont use a hole saw. Holesaws dont cut metals well. Your panel has a slight curve which while cutting will cause a section of the circle too cut first. Then any variation in hand held angle will result in the initial cut being an elipse relative to the hole saw. Teeth will bite and bend your panel. Not a neat result. Try using a nibbling drill bit and cut out to the stencil. File finish and bobs ya uncle

Hobs;148258 Dont use a hole saw. Holesaws dont cut metals well. [/QUOTE said:
:yeahright: Thats news to me, so i must have been cutting cheese with my holesaws for the last 20 odd years.

what ever way you do it, take your time, do it slowly as its a body panel...it doesnt take much to slip up!
and if you buy a new snorkel, it will have a template.

I just believe in the right tool for the job. An auger bit is far superior and the availability of holesaws seems to be about 60 mm for timber with panel ripping teeth. But then again the hole is hidden anyhow.

I just believe in the right tool for the job. An auger bit is far superior and the availability of holesaws seems to be about 60 mm for timber with panel ripping teeth. But then again the hole is hidden anyhow.

dont know where you get your 'saws from but you can get saws from about 16mm up past 150mm and all for meatal cutting...biggest prob is no one follows the recommended speeds.

http://www.sutton.com.au/Assets/4790/1/499980165_Holesaws.pdf

http://www.sutton.com.au/Assets/4678/1/3_Consumersawblades.pdf

pg 47/48.

There is nothing wrong with using a hole saw they work fine, i cover the area with masking tape which seems to stop any paint chipping off. I also drill a pilot hole, and just before im ready to start cutting with the hole saw i do the first few revolutions in reverse just to score the metal.

Now Having said all that, on the last one i did for a mate, his old crap hole saw he had in his tool box snapped the Arbor.
So i used a set of off set snips i use for cutting down pipe nozzles in guttering, and they worked really well. No need for a file just cut and go.

So for anyone that may be a bit nervous to use the hole saw try the off set snips as you will have more control and less likely to cause any damage if you do slip

Last edited:
Bart with the safari you wont fit a good size battery due to the pipe rhat goes in the air box this is why i went yd25 There is a pic on here somewhere will see if i can find it!

Bryan

cheers for the info and advice guys.

i will be using a holesaw to cut the hole. i was more after how people that installed the safari snorkel went about relocating the indicator like how did they cut the hole etc.

also does anyone know if the tjm snorkel for the 2.5 diesel comes with the yd25 intake pipe that will remove the zd30 pre cleaner. and if anyone knows the exact hole size for the safari intake piping??

bart

hole size is 87mm exact and to cut blinker hole im using a high speed twinblade air saw like a jigsaw but better or find someone with a plasma cutter

nizzbits will sell you the yd25 intake pipe
not sure if it will fit other snorkels ?

hi mate, i bought one of the snorkels off ebay for around 200ish delivered, pretty happy with the quality of the item considering price! drilled hole with holesaw, just check twice cut once! and plenty of cutting fluid, slow speed. used the template to mark where the indicator was going to go, coloured in with a texta and used an 8mm drill bit to drill a series of holes CLOSE to the outline of the texta. then just used a die grinder with a carbide burr to tidy up and make small adjustments... once again take your time and keep checking the fit of your blinker so you dont remove to much... hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back