D22 STR or D40 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasnt planning on heading into anything that would require diff lockers:crazy_pilot:

My plans (which i ever i get) were pretty basic, a 2" suspension lift, better tyres, winch bar, winch and a couple of spotties, snorkle, exhuast and chip upgrade. That was it, i was thinking more touring type than hardcore 4wd as realistically it would be a 80/20 split road/offroad.

My biggest constraint is budget (isnt everyones :sarcastic:) but would be willing to wait a bit, save a bit more if the D40 was considerably a better option than the D22 and by the sounds of it it could possibly be given my plans for kids and the wifes comfort (PARAMOUNT TRUST ME!! lol)

Then by all means i suggest you wait for a D40 ... U wont regret it at all. Its a great vehicle for touring. :rock:

@Krafty ----- you'll keep buddy !!!! :devil:

For what you want i would probably suggest the D40. I have a d22, a mate has a D40, and the D22 is very much more an "agricultural" vehicle. I love the D22, wouldn't own a D40, but would reccommend one for you.

Mitch

Cheers but an auto is a big no no. I prefer to change my own gears.

Just need to sell the idea to the wife about spending another 5 - 10k over what i originally said i would......

The reason for suggesting an auto is twofold: first, it is a very, very smooth ride, but second and more importantly, the clutch in any ute these days is fairly inadequate and if you're straining the vehicle (particularly on boat ramps or taking off up hills while towing) you will eat the clutch in 30,000km - and at $2,000+ each time, you are going to wish you'd bought the auto.

Of course, that's after you ditch the Navara for its clutch problems, buy a Mishitibus and discover it's the same, then switch to a Colorado and discover it's the same ... and eventually get told that for heavy hauling, the ONLY choice that you can make is an auto.

Some people DO haul with a manual, but by and large the most we hear about in here are the very early clutch failures.

Now it is very true that we hear about problems and we don't hear about "lack of problems". People are happy to relate that they're having an issue with this component or that, but remain silent when the thing works as expected. How many people complain about the left-hand front door handle in the D22? How many praise it? We don't hear, because it never becomes a problem. But we hear a lot about clutches in utes used for towing, and in particular those used on boat ramps.

you will eat the clutch in 30,000km - and at $2,000+ each time, .

but you will also use an additional $1000 in fuel with the auto at the min.
As you have an ABN the after tax cost really isn't too bad.

The real issue becomes can you get truck moving if you park on a hill, as hill starts in high range can be a challange in the manual if you are towing a heavy load.

$1000 in fuel compared to what? My auto gets better economy than most manuals of the same age on this forum. Auto's don't mean bad economy, bad driving means bad economy.

And ABN is only good for new cars is it not?

If you have an ABN, you are more than likely registered for GST, so all your repairs become tax deductable, and you get the GST back, which does help.

My Manual in std ute form was returning around 9l/100 no matter how/where/quick I drove it. This included driving around Sydney, Around the blue mountains, down the putty and freeway driving. I havn't heard of many auto drivers getting that from brand new. (feel free to correct me, as I can only comment on the manual)

For a KC they are good figures and it appears that the newer models are doing much better than the older ones that most people despite gearbox were reporting were over 12.

I'll still stand by the claim that autos can and will get better economy than a manual if the driver wants it too. Without trying I can get 10's out of my 09 with about 280kgs on the back axle and the 09 doesn't have the more efficient 140kw motor in it. In a few weeks crossing the Nullarbor if those figures don't drop into the 9's I'll be very surprised.

I should clarify i dont personally have an ABN however i am able to purchase a vehicle (if need be) with an ABN.

Im not sure what constitutes a "heavy load" when talking about the navaras, my boat fully laden is about a 1000kg (450kg dry hull, 120kg motor, 250kg trailer and about 180kg fuel and other stuff) i would imagine that i can replace the factory clutch system with a h/d aftermarket item??? Surely not everyone replaces clutches at 30k?!

After consulting the wife she is not so keen on spending the extra for the D40 (she is also buying a new car and our savings will only go so far) im still working on it but we have been touring with a friend in his 1994 hilux surf and she wasnt fazed by the ride of it as she says "thats what 4wd is all about" so the D22 might be the better option.

Im not knocking the auto's either, i have always prefered to change my own gears as a "driver" not a "steerer" but this is my own personal opinion.

I can see Krafty's point on auto's though.

He use to drive trucks, shifting 18 gears constantly would make a auto sound like a good option.

If your mates Hilux is a live axle, leaf sprung front end one. I reckon your Mrs wouldn't be bothered in a G60 Patrol either.

There some of the most uncomfortable 4wd's ever built.

Good luck.

1st gear low range 2wd at the boat ramp no worries
$2000 to replace a clutch ??
$600 for the clutch $100 for the beer and bbq
auto's wear out just as much as manuals
each to there own

I can see Krafty's point on auto's though.

He use to drive trucks, shifting 18 gears constantly would make a auto sound like a good option.

If your mates Hilux is a live axle, leaf sprung front end one. I reckon your Mrs wouldn't be bothered in a G60 Patrol either.

There some of the most uncomfortable 4wd's ever built.

Good luck.

I think his surf is the IFS version, but either way its done 230,000km and id say so has the suspension.

I currently drive a 2000 VX SS which isnt exactly "luxury"

Dont listen to all the d40 bashing from the d22 boys, I quite often go out with a few guys with d22's and I get better economy and drive in offroad situations with more ease than them because of the extra power and the better 1st gear ratios, you shouldnt have too much of an issue of finding a stx in ur price range as a mate of mine is looking into getting one for the same dollar and iv seen a few advertised, goodluck mate and dont hesitate to ask stupid questions coz it might save you some coin in the end
Kyle

Latest posts

Back