D22 STR or D40 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont listen to all the d40 bashing from the d22 boys, I quite often go out with a few guys with d22's and I get better economy and drive in offroad situations with more ease than them because of the extra power and the better 1st gear ratios, you shouldnt have too much of an issue of finding a stx in ur price range as a mate of mine is looking into getting one for the same dollar and iv seen a few advertised, goodluck mate and dont hesitate to ask stupid questions coz it might save you some coin in the end
Kyle

Haha, yeah i'll agree your D40 goes alright mate! In a nutshell, here's my view on the two utes though:

D40:

Pros -

Better on-road
More power
Better gearing
More room in the back
More comfortable inside the cabin

Cons -

Less ground clearance
Electronic 4wd selector
Airbox hard to seal up (can be done though)
Apparently worse fuel economy, but Kyle's ute tends to suggest either on par or better!
Rear LSD is useless (install a locker to solve this)
No option for front locker

D22:

Pros -

Better off-road
More ground clearance
Manual 4wd selector
Free-wheeling hubs
Top notch LSD
Front diff can take an auto locker
Airbox easily sealed (as long as Nissan don't do it!)
Shorter wheelbase
Lighter

Cons -

Less power (easily fixed by a chip/exhaust)
Less room in the back seat
Not as comfortable on-road (a suspension upgrade will help solve this, but ultimately the D40 is a better ride on-road
Less comfortable inside the cabin

Oh yeah, one more con for the D22 is the gearing. This is fixed in low range by installing reduction gears. The high range isn't great, fine for sand and high speed loose dirt driving though, which is all I use it for normally.....

Thank you so much this what i was really looking for, a simple pros/cons of the two utes.

if you are still looking for a STX there is one for sale in my local area.
its a black 2007 D40 STX manual, all stock and in very good condition.
11months rego fairly new tyres the same tyres as standard.
it had its turbo replaced about 6 months ago according to the owner.
119'000km on the clock
they are asking $29'500 ono
if you want there ph number send me a pm
i dont know these people, but i have seen the car around the place. when i saw it today on the side of the road where allot of people put there car when trying to sell them, i had a look and spoke with the owner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back